Skip to comments.Last Resort (ABC)
Posted on 09/28/2012 10:57:26 AM PDT by kidd
Anyone see "Last Resort" on ABC last night?
Could be the best new show.
Navy SEALs in Pakistan saying ‘they got the wrong guy’ and a cover-up. Of course, it makes the SEALs look like the bad guys (at least so far). Hinting of a political based impeachment of a popular president. Interesting to see where this goes and the message they try to send.
It has potential, but never underestimate Hollywood’s capability to take a good program and turn it into crap.
I am not sure the premise will hold. Apparently, something big is going on, but even that Senator (whose daughter was on the sub) seemed to be unaware of anything until armed military show up to take him into custody.
Unless and until they identify the villain, the rogue sub and crew are just that — rogue. The Captain did disobey a direct order.
I think a good show does not need writers, it needs 'interpreters' of an existing and good story arc, like T.W.D.
Without commercial interruption. Link good today, no promises.
ABC has released the show's first episode online, but audiences can watch it the old fashioned way at 8 p.m. EST tonight.
Shawn Ryan ("Terriers," "The Shield") produces and co-writes the first episode, and Martin Campbell ("Casino Royale") takes on directing duties. Veteran actors Andre Braugher and Robert Patrick along with Scott Speedman headline the cast.
PC happy portrayal of women on subs
Depicts SEALS as savage, Rambo-types
NATO now has observation posts in the Pacific?..World wide government propaganda...NATO are the good guys..US military are bad..a conspiracy to have a false LAUNCH order sent, and then, on top of it...to signal another US sub to take out a sister boat...there is soooo much wrong with that..so completely improbable
Oh yeah, the missile that the US sub launches from waay down under is over DC in 3 minutes?..Hello?
The bombers are 10 minutes out when detected..yet the captain and crew manage to get back to the boat, from a far distance...and sumberge, and launch...and of course..you can't dive..let alone launch missile, from a lagoon..
I could go on..but why bother..it's pure crapola..hope it gets cancelled in a few weeks..
Oops. I thought this was a story by ABC about Obama’s new Hawaiian Home. (I don’t watch TV)
Well... it's TV, not real life.
If they portrayed everything to satisfy your list of complaints.... no one would watch it.
I watched the show with an eye for the liberal slant and didn’t see much of it at all.
The woman on the sub is portrayed as being green.
The Seals have alternate orders and are portrayed as dedicated.
The NATO post came across as laid back. I didn’t see the US military being portrayed as evil at all.
It’s not Tom Clancy quality, I’ll grant you that. But with only mild suspension of reality, there was a good story.
I watched it. Not sure if I’ll keep recording it on my DVR. Loved Person of Interest (season 2) and Elementary (new series) on Thursday. Have also been enjoying Rake on Directv Audience channel.
Nonsense, TV and movies used to be able to write a story line without making the Americans bad guys and idiots, and totally ignoring more realistic ways to get to the same plot lines.
When your adults males are groaning at the ridiculous portrayals of the military, then you are failing.
I tried to watch Elementary, be the audio was horrible. The main characters mumbled too much and it was difficult to hear/understand what they were saying to each other.
I will watch the next episode, but I don’t hold out too much hope for it.
Just watched and I agree.
In fiction and drama, it is not a question of what is real, but of what the audience can be made to accept as real.
Unfortunately, from medical to crime to military drama, the technical truths are often stretched beyond reality. “House” is not real-to-life in the day to day processes extant in a hospital. People Lost in time and space don’t have perfect hair and make-up. 15 years after the lights go out, people do not have perfectly whitened teeth and precise haircuts. Anyone watching for the sake of learning technical truths is watching for the wrong reason. How often do we see car explosions in film that are ridiculous compared to how it really happens? As kidd says: if it was *real*, no one would watch. We watch to escape and to think in a different reality for a period of time.
Remember, at the start, the POTUS is in process of being impeached. Can no one imagine a scenario in which a rogue administration wags the dog w/a nuke or where SEALs have undisclosed orders or where there are factions w/in the military-political complex that are enacting private agendas?
The name of the fiction game is “What if....”. This series looks as though it has a chance of being memorable.
Thanks for the link. Watching now. As long as they don't turn this into another homo-promo, it looks promising.
Despite the problems I liked it overall. Granted the last 15 minutes I was on the phone way off and was seeing on screen. I didn’t catch the part about the bombers being close and apparently how fast that sub could get out and deploy.
I agree that a lot of things were wrong:
* The SEALs confronting the skipper of a nuclear sub on his own bridge is way off the mark.
* The idea of a US attack sub firing on a US boomer is unlikely as the skipper of the attack sub is probably friends with the skipper of the boomer. If ordered to fire on another US sub I’m thinking the skipper of the attack sub would demand confirmation of the order and then he’d contact his fellow skipper first to confirm whatever story he was being told by Washington...and then there’d be TWO submarines defying Washington.
* The 15 minute evolution time is impossible, but it sure does make the Navy look good so I won’t count this as a criticism.
* The two B-1 bombers would not attack a boomer for the simple reason that the aircrews would be questioning why they’re attacking a sub they were previously told had been sunk?
* For that matter, the country would be going nuts asking why a US sub that was supposedly sunk by the Pakistanis was not sunk but was attacked by another US sub? I’m thinking that would be enough to overthrow an Administration and not just impeach one.
* A nuke detonating 200 miles off of the Eastern seaboard would not be harmless and would probably kill a lot of people at sea in merchant ships, other Navy ships, and passenger vessels not to mention aircraft aloft near the event.
* I agree that the captain of the Colorado seems a little too eager to skip out on America and to create a new country on his island.
* The SEAL in the bar would not have had a long-winded conversation with the local ganglord and his thugs and would’ve just neutralized them as the hostiles that they were. Especially operating outside of the usual PC ROE.
Great minds DO think alike!!!!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.