Skip to comments.
Need Help With Web Site
Posted on 10/16/2004 6:56:00 PM PDT by GJohnny
I have registered the name boycottmsm.com with the intention of utilizing the site as a focal point to document and expose the extreme bias we are facing from the main stream media. Unfortunately I don't have the time or skills to get something up within a reasonable time frame. If anyone would like to take this on please let me know. I think this could become a very effective tool in countering the forces which are trying to destroy this country as we know it. Thanks
TOPICS: Computers/Internet; Politics
posted on 10/16/2004 6:56:00 PM PDT
Your post caught my eye because I have long thought that a massive boycott of the MSM by half the country (conservatives) would put an end to media contributing to the ignorance of Americans when they withhold the truth for their own political purposes. An effective boycott would hit them hard in the pocketbook and either shut them down or better yet, force them to change their ways.
In fact, I had just posted something to that effect yesterday on this thread (see last 2 paragraphs of my post).
May I suggest...... What you are wanting to do is a massive undertaking!
"Documenting and exposing their bias" would take day to day non-stop vigalence. You would need perhaps:
- a web site set up to exhibit the data
- someone responsible to update the site each day
- someone responsible for positioning and promoting the site with the search engines and advertising it in other fashions (get the word out so the site will draw readers, not just among FReepers, but everyone)
- a different person assigned to each of the media sources who would be responsible for covering the output and reporting to you the findings to post on the site.
- a clearly defined goal for the site... not just exposing the bias, but telling people how that bias hurts them, and the nation (no matter what side they are on) and what they can do about it.
As a professional web designer and developer (see your FReepmail for a link to my portfolio, etc), I would be most happy to donate the time to do the initial design and set up of the site. I would need some clear direction from you as to your expectations, goals and functions of the site.
In addition, you would have to be willing to:
- pay for the hosting service (or find a sponsor to pay)... I can get you 1 GB of diskspace, 5 GB of bandwidth, with 3 email accounts, and full capabilities for goodies such as PHP (MYSQL databasing)...... $48/yr
- you would need to realize that as the number of visitors increases and you go over the 5 GB bandwidth usage, then you will have to pay for additional bandwidth, however if and when you reach that point you will be so successful that finding sponsors or donators will be no problem.
- you will have to be willing to organize your "staff" who will monitor the various media outlets and report daily to you the findings
- you will have to handle, or find someone to handle the daily updating of the site...... I would suggest a product by Macromedia called CONTRIBUTE 3... cost $99.... allows you to edit/update/manage your site content without knowing any HTML, etc. Functions like MS WORD, and has one-button publishing capibility. It also locks all the design features of the site so you can't accidently mess them up and only lets you add to and edit the parts assigned to you. You can see a movie with a demo here.
Whether or not you take me up on my offer... I wish you the best in this undertaking. It is a worthy cause and if done right could have a real impact!
posted on 10/17/2004 4:09:22 AM PDT
by Apple Pan Dowdy
(... as American as Apple Pie)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson