Skip to comments.New Debt Limit – $14.3 Trillion
Posted on 01/28/2010 1:09:07 PM PST by SalAOR
The Debt Limit has been raised by Congress to $14.3 trillion dollars. The Senate voted to raise it$1.9 Trillion on a strictly partisan basis, 60-40 (no wonder they delayed the swearing in of Scott Brown). The amount that they are raising it is unprecedented in our nations history. Some perspective:
* In 2001 when Bush took office, the debt was roughly 1/3 of what it is today, at $5.6 trillion.
* In 2006, the Congress voted to raise the debt limit by $784 billion to $9 trillion.
* In 2007, Congress voted to raise the debt limit by $850 billion, to $9.85 trillion.
* In 2008, Congress voted to raise the debt limit by another $800 billion, to $10.6 trillion.
* In late 2008, Congress voted again (as part of TARP) to raise the debt limit by $700 billion, to $11.3 trillion.
* In early 2009, Congress voted to raise the debt ceiling (as part of the Porkulus bill) by $800 billion to $12.1 trillion.
* Just last month in December of 2009, Congress, running out of money, raised the debt ceiling by just under $300 billion, to $12.4 trillion.
* Now, Congress is raising the debt limit by a whopping $1.9 trillion. Thats more than the last three debt ceiling raises combined.
* The total of debt ceiling increases passed during the first year of the Obama administration now nearly equal to the increases passed in the first six years of Bushs presidency.
Or, to look at it another way:
(Excerpt) Read more at axisofright.com ...
Damn those RINO's.............
How many in this country could afford to labor hard for a year and not realize any benefit from it? That's what we have now in store for us because of OBAMA.
Why bother having a debt limit if every few weeks they vote to raise it?
Why am I asking that, sheesh.
What’s a meager 14 trillion dollars. Washington has a LOT of credibility yet, the Chinese are going to really INVEST, and you can see it as the Rock of Gibraltar. TOO big to fail. Just look at the smile of Biden last night, and the smirk of the President, THEY ARE NOT SWEATING...why would anyone else?
Yes, I’m seriously thinking about leveraging my ass to the hilt and cashing in on my good credit and then taking a junket to Las Vegas. Why should we worry? They aren’t....
They took this vote without MY NEW DULY-ELECTED SENATOR having been rightfully seated?!
Taxation without representation. As MA resident, I have been denied my rightful representation in the Senate.
And as someone else said, what’s the point in a “debt ceiling” if they can just raise it whenever they want? That’s like giving a compulsive gambler the ability to raise his own credit card limit without the bank having any say in the matter.
“60-40”. I thought the term was up for the interrim Mass. Senator and he no longer had authority to vote.
They’re sowing the seeds of their own destruction. When all hell breaks loose, they’d better have the best private security force in the world, because the angry mob is gonna get their’s.
About half of the people in the Country now question whether 0bama is actually qualified to be in the Oval Office, so one Senator is small potatoes.
Nope, Kirk voted. They haven’t seated Brown yet. I doubt the GOP has the spine to fight it out in court.
$45,000 for every man, woman, and child in the US.
That sounds like standing for a lawsuit.
Regardless of whether we include this history and its (as you state) 10 Trillion dollar sum (not all due to Bush's additons but from Slick, et al). This Pimp Poser has amassed upwards of a FOUR TRILLION DOLLAR add-on....what about this doesn't trouble you? It is almost a 50% increase?
And 14.3 trillion dollars is basically 100% of our Gross National Product.
Technically, you are probably correct about the numbers, but think about the mood and what I feel is his undying passion to do the best for this country...he didn’t push the last spending through to buy votes - he didn’t need them. He felt he was doing what needed doing. To equate the expenditures that he endorsed with this crap, vote-buying, class-separating machinations of Obama is disingenuous to the ‘nth’ degree.. there is absolutely no comparison. This arugula (in MODO’s own words) icon is the death of this nation if we allow it... so please don’t bring Bush/Z’bama comparisons to me...they are worthless.
Kirk Can’t Vote After Tuesday | The Weekly Standard
Jan 16, 2010 ... Appointed Senator Paul Kirk will lose his vote in the Senate after Tuesday’s election in Massachusetts of a new senator and cannot be the 60th ... a new senator’s term begins and the term of an appointed senator ends. ...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.