Skip to comments.Top 10: Essential Items to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse
Posted on 12/03/2010 9:15:29 AM PST by JoeProBono
Theres nothing worse than getting caught in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse empty handed. Tools are key to survival, and especially when your survival depends on a war waged with the living dead. Here is a list of 10 essential items to survive a Zombie Apocalypse.
2. Pocket Map Start in the area youre attempting to flee. Chances are youve heard about a magical camp/village/cargo ship some distance away that serves as a safe haven, if you only knew how to reach it. Steal more maps as you continue on your journey. Knowing where youre are is the first step to getting where youre going. Plus, this way you wont miss the Grand Canyon on your way to your new home at the camp/village/cargo ship.
3. Gun and ammo Preferably something easy to carry with plenty of rounds per cartridge. AN assault rifle would be recommended. Range weapons are best, as they allow maximum casualties with plenty of room for retreat. Avoid weapons that hold fifteen rounds of ammo or less. Nothing sucks more than getting your arm gnawed off because you didnt have time to reload.
4. Lighter Some might suggest lighter fuel and matches, but the truth is, one well stocked cigarette lighter (antique, of course remember, old school) should see you through the worst of the apocalypse. Not only will it help you cook whatever pigeons and squirrels you manage to kill for food, it will also be helpful in setting fire to the living dead.
5. Hummer Sure, theyre bad for the environment, but then again, so are flesh eating zombies. These babies are built for high impact travel. They hold several adults, they dont roll as easy as the SUV your mom owns, and theyre the next best thing to driving a tank. Sturdy and dependable, this beast will flatten anything in its path while doing 80 down a deserted highway on your way to the camp/village/cargo ship. Stop for gas at every deserted station.
6. Chain Mail What is this, a zombie attack, or a Renaissance Faire? You want to protect as much of your luscious, living flesh as you can from potential zombie bites. No ones really sure how infection spreads, but its better to be safe than sorry. Light weight full body armor is best, but at least do your best to protect your arms and upper torso. In the plus column, chain mail looks good with almost anything and youll be the envy of all your new friends, most of whom are probably going to die soon.
7. Zombie Movies Youll be traveling a lot in that Hummer probably with a ragtag group of friends and new acquaintances so you should spend that time brushing up on how to kill zombies. Look for obvious mistakes made by fictional survivors and strive to do better than going back for a doomed friend or isolating yourself from the group in the middle of a battle. Do not make the mistake of assuming that you are the star of the movie, and therefore indispensible. You could just as easily be the funny friend that dies in the second act.
8. Military water purification tablets Lets be honest: you dont know how fresh that waters going to be wherever it is youre going, and you may be miles from the nearest zombie-free Wal-Mart. Ensuring you always have a source of fresh drinking water is a surefire way to survive in between zombie attacks. Always rinse out your canteen between purifications. Avoid bodies of water recently inhabited by zombies and/or zombie fish.
9. Comfortable shoes Zombies dont move very fast, so it becomes probable that you can outrun them. Make sure youre outfitted with the kind of high priced footwear a professional athlete or futuristic apocalyptic warrior would wear. You want to move like Kobe or at least appear just as cool. Remember to stretch before running from zombies, unless, of course, zombies are already attacking. The more unique your footwear, the better the chance that you are the star of this zombie attack, therefore securing your long term survival.
10. Ham Radio It will eventually become important to have contact with the surviving outside world. Since most modern forms of communication will be eradicated, it will become necessary to use sad, outdated technology to find other scrappy survivors who also had grandfathers that lived through World War II and never threw any of their old crap away. These people will be running the camp/village/cargo ship and you will probably not agree with how they do things. Luckily, zombies do not know how to use radios or other devices requiring more speech than the occasional needful moan.
Our biggest problem is that Zombies have the right to vote. And they are more than half the population.
Rule #1. Cardio, cardio, cardio
The fatties are the first go to.
Bump for later
I didn’t even know Rob Zombie was that mad at humanity.
Rule #2: The Double Tap!
“Plenty of rounds per cartridge”? I hate amateurs. The author is gonna be chum when the zombies come, bet on it.
Any Ham Radio operators on FR that can sort us unprepared types out?
11) Barber kit. Zombies can’t grab ahold of short hair.
How do we freepers reconnect with each other?
Maybe we need a freeper Zombie plan.
12) Tight fitting clothing. Ibid #11.
“Gun and ammo Preferably something easy to carry with plenty of rounds per cartridge”
Just how many rounds are in a cartridge? LOL
Guns. Lots of guns.
LOL!!! Oh man, 5&6 hit so close to home!!!
I think he meant "Plenty of rounds per caliber".
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.