Skip to comments.Confession
Posted on 05/17/2011 1:30:40 PM PDT by stolinsky
Forgive me, Freepers, for I have sinned. My sins are many:
1. I linked to my own website, which is a sign of the arrogant belief that people might want to read what I write. Of course, if I didn't think that, I wouldn't write in the first place, so it's hard to see much difference.
2. I "stole bandwidth," though it's hard to see how posting a short exerpt with a link was worse than posting a long article--or how repeated insulting comments don't also "steal bandwidth."
3. I wanted people to "pay" me to be "showered with my wisdom," though my website has no advertising and costs me $299 a year to run, plus untold hours of time.
4. I used too many bullet points--or is it too few semicolons, I forget?
5. I claimed to have a graduate degree, though this couldn't be true, since I expressed myself plainly, in short paragraphs, and never used a $5 word when a two-bit word would do as well.
6. I claimed to have scars from a line-of-duty injury in the Army Reserve, though this couldn't be true either, since "people like me" usually avoid service.
7. Unlike my critics, I use my own name instead of a screen name, because I'm willing to stand up and be counted for what I say, and believe.
8. I assumed falsely that I was among friends, so any differences could be resolved amicably. Instead, I got more anger and vitriol than I ever got from liberals in the years I posted on NewsMax and on my own website. Yes, they occasionally called me "Nazi," but even the most fanatical never threatened violence or called me mentally ill--both of which are ways communists used to silence those who disagreed.
9. I assumed falsely that most conservatives are interested in saving our nation from leftists undermining it from within, and extremist Muslims attacking it from without. But instead, some are too busy squabbling among themselves about who doesn't really "fit in" with their small group--a sure recipe for defeat.
For all these sins, forgive me. My pennance will be to forgo blogging for a month. Perhaps that will be enough time for the anger to subside. Or not.
Something I figured out years ago about FR: Ignore the opinions and feelings of others. If you have an opinion, spout it without fear.
Wow. Those are some SERIOUS offenses.
I don’t know how you can LIVE with yourself...
Do you have a link? /s
You have run afoul of our local shill for the New York Times and such.
Some people feel threatened by the demise of the dinosaur media.
For many of the blog pimp haters there is only one way to be redeemed:
After almost 10 years here I still want to know what those pricks think the “bloggers” section of FR is for? Because I don’t know, as it’s apparently not for, y’know BLOGGERS.
Don’t sweat it.
I would rather have “blog pimps”, as they call them, on FR than those who have nothing better to do than complain about them. At least they are attempting to contribute something to the discussion.
You must have been visited by humblegunner. Just tell him what I do ... “Good, you handle the little stuff like punctuation, spelling, and blogposts, and we’ll handle the rest...like ideas and thought.”
I'm not a blog pimp cop, but they do have a point. I've been on FR a little while, and value it highly; I consider it my "one stop shop" for current articles, commentary and criticism. A loooong time ago, nothing was excerpted until FR was taken to court and certain media sources demanded it, based on the premise that FR was depriving them of hits. Those of us around at the time accepted it as, "the way it had to be," but see no need for excerpting when the author is the one posting it on FR!
Similarly, I'm not one to attack another's grammar, vocabulary, spelling, etc., unless that person is making a point based on their presumed intellect and education.
If you're that confident in the quality of your writing, save yourself the $229, post your material as a vanity post (for free!!) and you'll get more commentary on here on your substance rather than your presentation.
As an analogy, you're swimming in somebody else's (Jim Rob's) pool here. Even if you're the world's greatest high diver and we'd all be impressed by your skills, the rules simply state, 'no diving'. Other than that, come on in...the water's fine.
I assumed falsely that most conservatives are interested in saving our nation from leftists undermining it from within, and extremist Muslims attacking it from without
Watch out. Saying stuff like that is asking for ZOT.
A reasoned response. As you now see, the blog-patrol has been summoned to this thread to hunt down their prey.
So, is it correct that a blogger can post a vanity thread in “news” that merely copy/pastes from his blog, but cannot post half a post and a link to his blog in the bloggers section?
I’m not being difficult, I’m merely curious.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.