Skip to comments.Timeless Wisdom Gained on the Collegiate Gridiron...
Posted on 10/19/2011 10:30:25 AM PDT by Reaganite Republican
|Fighting Irish GameDay|
"They whipped us like a tied-up goat." -Spike Dykes @ Texas Tech
Pics/links/more at Reaganite Republican h/t Speedunque
Barry Switzer, Oklahoma
Oh, how I recall those words of wisdom from my football coach.
“Hey! Sh_thead! If that guy runs over you again, I’m gonna stick my foot so far up your ass that you’ll have to open your mouth so I can untie my shoe!”
That’s the kind of advice that you can pass on to your children.
Same as the Marine Corps then lol
“Scratch where it itches.”
Hayden Fry, Iowa.
Switzer also said college football is where 50 year old men chase 17 year old boys.
Some of my favorites from the Old Ball Coach (STEVE, WE MISS YOU!!!)
FAMOUS SPURRIER QUOTES
91. On not being emotional during his farewell news conference at UF: “I guess I’m supposed to cry a lot because that’s what FSU people say I do. I’m not really much of a crier. I don’t get all choked up. I don’t understand why they said I was crying. I guess because we only won by 24 that day (referring to Florida’s 37-13 win in November 2001).
92. On Tennessee’s frequent appearances in the Citrus Bowl in the mid 1990s: “You can’t spell Citrus without U-T.”
93. On a 27-10 loss to Georgia when he was a player: “I probably would have rather beaten Georgia and won the first SEC championship for all of us (than win the Heisman Trophy). If there’s one game I’ll remember, it’s probably the one we lost.”
94. To the Polk County Gator Club in 1994 after the FSU Foot Locker scandal: “You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University.”
95. On a late touchdown in a 52-17 victory over Georgia in 1995 in Athens: “We knew coming in nobody had scored 50 against them here, so that’s what we wanted to do. This may be the only time in our lifetime that Florida plays here, so we wanted to make it memorable for the Gators.”
96. On quarterbacks: “One thing I’ll never do is be critical of a quarterback. I’ve thrown to the wrong place myself a lot of times, and I know you don’t need the coach making you feel any worse.”
97. On Florida Field’s nickname: “The Swamp is where Gators live. We feel comfortable there, but we hope our opponents feel tentative. A swamp is hot and sticky and can be dangerous.”
98. On Georgia’s recruiting after a 45-13 win in 1991 over the Bulldogs: “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?”
99. On allegations FSU was hitting Danny Wuerffel late in the Gators’ 1996 24-21 loss: “I think he’s sort of a New Testament guy. He gets slapped in the face, and he turns the other cheek. He says, ‘Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ I’m probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the ear hole and we think we’re supposed to be able to spear you in the ear hole. That’s how we’re a little different.”
100. On Florida tradition: “I really get excited at the games when they play the alma mater. When the band plays, We Are the Boys From Old Florida, it just sends chill bumps all over me.”
The University of Alabama is the only place where a majority of the fans honestly believe that you are a superior person in the Eyes of God if you support their college football program.
“The University of Alabama is the only place where a majority of the fans honestly believe that you are a superior person in the Eyes of God if you support their college football program.”
Well, they’re into it lol