Skip to comments.Obama to the Rescue for [Non-U.S.] Importers/Exporters
Posted on 10/21/2011 3:09:19 PM PDT by Steve Peacock
Struggling U.S. businesses may be curious to know that the Obama Administration wants to help reduce the cost and time of exporting/importing goods in order to improve the overall trade environment. Improvements, that is, in Ethiopia.
The implementation of what is known as the Trade and Customs Enhancement Reform Project, or TraCER, will be carried out via a five-year $19 million contract, which the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) intends to award to an as-to-be-determined vendor.
The specific goals of TraCER are to:
* Create a trade center that links academia, the private sector, and the public sector;
* Facilitate the streamlining of customs processes;
* Introduce information, communications, and technology platforms to support customs processes;
* Develop the capacity of a core team of Government of Ethiopia (GOE) staff to participate in trade negotiations;
* Educate the private sector on international standards and best practices;
* Elevate the profile of Ethiopian products in international markets; and
* Establish a framework for the promotion of trade corridors with neighboring countries.
Corollary objectives of TraCER include assisting the GOE in becoming a World Trade Organization member as well as enhancing the quality of public-private dialogue across Ethiopia, USAID said in a planning document dated Oct. 20.
Source document: Solicitation #SOL-663-11-000008.
...as long as he gets his cut
Another stunning success for the “Free Trade” advocates.
What a joke. We just went through the new Obama process for getting an international export license. 4 govt agencies have to now approve the deal. Before it was only the Dept of Commerce. Now Commerce, State, DHS, and DOD. DHS does everything possible to d#$k you around and I mean everything including trying to force you into telling what political party you are affiliated with and who you gave contributions to last time around. My fiancee’ told them to kiss his conservative you know what. His attorney finally had to get a US Congressman involved. He was flabbergasted at the whole thing. By the time my fiancee’ got the approval the contract had expired and now the buyer is backing out of the deal. Our eyes are now completely open. This country is in more trouble than anyone knows.
Improvements, that is, in Ethiopia.That's actually a bit of a surprise.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.