Skip to comments.What Election 2012 boils down to (ie keeping it short and sweet)
Posted on 02/15/2012 9:40:43 PM PST by Secret Agent Man
If you're going to be involved in conversations with others about why 2012 is such an important election, and how to frame the issues quick and painlessly and unable to be refuted.
1. Makers vs. Takers. Barry's whole presidency has been about taking from the makers and giving to the takers.
2. A second Obama term is an Obama term without limits on ANYTHING. He hasn't gone full bore because he needs to get re-elected. You ain't seen nothing yet if he gets 4 more years and doesn't have to care about answering to ANYONE for ANYTHING. He will be 10 times worse than he is now.
3. More Government Controlling Your Life, or Less?
4. More government forcing you to do things, or less government forcing you to do things?
5. Government viewing you more like potential hostiles, or government viewing you more as a patriot who loves his country?
6. More inventing of "rights" that aren't there, or more defending of clear rights guaranteed in the Constitution?
7. A government that respects your 2nd Amendment rights, or one totally bent on incrementally taking that right away?
8. More years of blatant fascist corporatism, crony capitalism, or less government artificial meddling in the free market?
9. Do you want more, less expensive energy, or less, more expensive energy?
10. Four more years of out-of-control government spending, or a government that doesn't spend more than it takes in, and actually creates a real BUDGET for a change?
11. Government that understands the constitutional directive to protect the national borders from illegal entry by ANYONE, or government suing states trying to do the job the feds won't do?
12. Four more years of greatly expanding federal government agencies and workers, or reversing the trend of government continuing to get bigger and bigger.
13. Do you want the feds in DC dictating more and more decisions that affect you personally, or do you want less federal control over things that affect you personally? (ex obamacare ind. mandate, what light bulb you can buy, etc)
We all know what the answers to any of these specific questions are, if Obama is re-elected. We know someone like Santorum is ardently opposed to Obama on most of these issues. He may not be as zealous for every single point I have mentioned here, but I can't find one example where Santorum would be on the same side of an issue Obama is.
Please feel free to use these statements as bullet points you can expand on in any talks you have with friends and acquaintences. Not every issue strikes a chord with a person, so when you find one or more that does, that's when you start discussing that with them and getting them to see that perhaps that one issue is big enough for them to say "You're right, I can't vote for Obama because of this."
Food for thought.
Yeah, it’s a start. :)
4 more years of Barack Hussein Obama means we join Greece.
White House will have a new name...The Parthenon.
Nice, but it’s a 13 course meal, and people only have fast food drive-thru attention spans.
Reduce it down to two sentences, pithy, punchy, crystal clear, and compelling, and you’ll have something.
For example, my “conservative elevator speech” goes something like this:
“As a conservaitve, I believe in smaller government, lower taxes, fewer government regulations, and a strong national defense”.
Sure there’s more, but when I tell people this much, the initial reaction is eyes popping open and “Wow, can you say that again, that sounds pretty cool but I’m not sure I understood it!”.
It’s a drive-thru, remember...
Can you survive four more years of hope and change?
It has to be presented on a personal level that shows 0bama and what he is doing is very bad and detrimental to the well being of that individual one is talking to.
When presented at this level it is much more convincing because the person can relate.
Please see post # 7
Agree. Keep it simple and easy to “digest”, but reaches the core of the majority of Americans. Something that can be emailed, printed, distributed, etc. Not everyone “Facebooks” or “tweets”.
I think for some people doing obviously worse this is a good question.
I think for others a “Are you doing better, or worse, after 4 years of Hope and Change?” may be better. And if they say worse, the follow up is “And would you prefer to continue to do even worse, or would you rather start doing better?” And there’s the opening if you can start talking about specific areas they feel they are doing worse in.
I was pretty clear that I didn’t say you toss all 13 at the same person. I said not all issues resonate with every person. You pick one or two that are relevant to a person. You can always bring up others along the way.
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titannic.
That’s a great analogy and I’ve heard Rush and Mark Belling both use it too.
Point: Do you want America to end up like Greece, or not? Who bails America out when we eventually default?
Again, clear distinction between current WH Obama policy and Santorum.
Exactly, which is why I say you need to hit one or two of these themes that seem to be important to a friend or relative or coworker you may wind up talking with. The personal touch is everything and if you can really summarize something well in a couple sentences it may break through some mental blockage and give ‘em a “never thought about it that way” moment.
well, it may not be possible. Yet.
They may not be in enough pain yet, personally.
Remember a recession is the guy next door out of work. A depression is when YOU are out of work. Sometimes people don’t realize wht’s going on with everyone else unless they are personally suffering too.
However, if you can find one or two themes a person generally talks about, they want less govt interference, bitch about taxes, etc, hate guns but fear crime, etc. you may be able to start getting them to see maybe there’s more to think about, or see things from a different angle, than their current narrow view.
Best way to get them is if you’re already their friend or at least they value your opinions in other areas already (like if they admire your business skills if you’ve done work for them or they know of your good reputation, whatever...)
My hope and change was to retire in 2010. I’m still working with no end in sight.
For example another one I should have had in there:
15. Do you want to have government continue to take more of your money away from you, or do you want to keep more of your own money?
Another way to say it from a different angle:
16: Do you believe government knows how to spend your money better than you do?
And another angle same theme:
17: Who do you think makes better charitable decisions with your money - you, or the government?
And another one more and more people can relate to:
18. Why does government expect you and your family to do with less in hard times, but government never is able to do with less, no matter what?
You can take a general theme a person has expressed some willingness to talk about, and find whatever frame of reference that is important to them to get your point across.
Another good one:
19. Would you rather have a government that “invents law” promoting the murder of innocent unborn babies, or do you want a government that upholds the law and promotes the death penalty for guilty criminal murderers?
Again, clear distinction between Obama and Santorum/conservative position.
Well, at least I am glad you are being useful to other people with the work you are doing. Hopefully it is work that can help keep your mind sharp.
Russia has 4000; China estimated at 3000.
You do the math.
Roll up the network (Not even a Harvard grad affirmative action President could be this stupid.)
The difference today, is that the Wealth-Rdistribution Socialist Elites have come out of the closet, and BLATANTLY use whatever Taxpayer dollars they can (even though they now are all borrowed dollars), to promise more and more individual groupls (faggots and dykes, Atheists, drug addicts, illegals, etc.) that they will ge Special Treatment in some way, to secure their votes.
We are nearing open warfare between the individuals, and the Takers.
You’re exactly right. Good post and hopefully FReepers will follow your good points.
Remember to be prepared for the programmed response from the committed leftists, though. "So, you want to starve the poor, throw grandma into the streets, let the wealthy keep their ill-gotten gains, allow eeevil corporations to run roughshod over the consumer and poison the water and air, and start endless wars!"
You know what I think, Obama is such a disaster I will be happy with any republican winning. Hopefully we will get a candidate who will have the kahuna’s to really change the course we are on.
Well they are just possible starting points to think about. I am sure if people start reading them they will think of others (I didn’t even mention govt union workers specifically, for ex, the TSA goon squads, etc) and expand on the ones I started in the list.
Hopefully it just starts getting people 1) thinking about being able to get a point across quickly to someone on a topic that is personally relevant to them. and 2) showing how you can address the same theme issue from many different angles to make it relevant to various people who are concerned about the same thing, but for different personal reasons.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.