Skip to comments.Why Conservatives Should Continue to Oppose Romney after the Nomination (Please provide input)
Posted on 04/10/2012 9:55:58 AM PDT by xzins
The basic reason Romney should be opposed by conservatives is that Romney is not a conservative. More specifically, Romney is the author of the $50 abortion, the originator of the gay marriage license, and the founder of big government-forced health care.
Those 3 are a mix of social and fiscal issues. The conclusion is that Romney is neither a fiscal conservative nor a social conservative. His tenure as governor of Massachusetts proves that point.
Now, as Romney is touted as the “etch-a-sketch” candidate who will shortly begin his tack to the left, principled conservatives will do well to begin listing their reasons for not ever supporting Mitt Romney for anything other than Citizen Mitt.
1. Abortion: Romney is the author of the $50 abortion.
2. Gay Marriage: Romney signed legislation requiring the issuing of gay marriage licenses. Romney has tried to “moderate” his position by becoming pro-gay union....big deal. He once told gay operatives that he was the gay lobby's best hope for getting their agenda into the republican party. (Look at that, too, in terms of abortion and judicial selections.)
3. RomneyCare: Sadly, Mitt thinks it's just fine to have state governments force you to buy health insurance. I suppose he finds the power to do that in the US Constitution. Oh...I remember...the place where the Constitution says “states can force the people to buy things they don't want to buy and enter into contracts they don't want to enter into.”
4. Give notice to the GOP-Establishment: It probably is very wise to shove down their throat what they are trying to shove down ours. They are not the masters of the conservative universe. Allowing them to think they are will simply encourage more of the same in the future. I'm sure the romney-bots and the romney-enablers will want their say about Romney opponents handing the election to Obama, but the manipulation by the GOP-E is what will lead to that.
5. Romney's “Scorched Earth” Campaign: Romney has divided conservatives and seriously weakened voter turnout. His strategy, liberal that he is, was to run ads via his SuperPac pigeonholing the conservative purity of his opponents. That kind of outrageous hypocrisy deserves punishment and not reward.
6. Conservative Resignation to supporting Romney appears to be surrender of conservative principle. The results of that could be far-reaching. It could mean that the republican movement is totally abandoned to the liberal establishment.
7. Judicial Appointments: "Liberty Counsel Action Vice President Matt Barber said Romneys appointments were constitutional living document poster children.
Many of Romneys appointments were not only liberal, not only Democrats, but were radical counter-constitutionalists. How on earth can we expect that, as president, he would be any different? Barber asked rhetorically."
8. Other reasons "Conservatives Should Continue to Oppose Romney after the Nomination" are welcome. Please post them below.
These conservatives permitted Kagan and Sotomeyor on the Supreme court.
They have thus far tolerated illegal recess appointments.
I hope we sweep down ticket. Of course i do or i would not be here nor would i be arguing so passionately (all the while at work).
Fact is as i have said in 100 posts not on this thread this was an awful crop of candidates. I was not going to be happy with any of them. At no time however did the thought of not voting to win,to beat Obama cross my mind. It has not now nor shall it.
Which is not an argument for supporting Romney...
People, I am a true conservative, probably more extreme than most people, but no matter how bad Romney is, we all need to somehow vote for him if he is the nominee. There is NO WAY I can stand Obutthole any longer. He needs to go no matter what! There is NO WAY I am going to take another 4 yrs of that A__Hole! I will be moving from the US if he does!!!
In eight of them I voted against a candidate. In 1980 and 1984 I voted for Regan.
Lets not lose sight of the alternative - Obama and everything he still wants to do.
Given my choice of two poor candidates I will vote against the greater threat to the Republic.
I had no favored horse in this race. From the start, the entire field has been lackluster, despite some possessing genuine conservative positions.
Because I'm in California, my chance to cast a vote for a conservative candidate...any conservative candidate...dwindles to nothing by the time the primary comes around. It happened in 2008. It is much worse in 2012. Now, I'm expected to go along with a proven liberal as the alternative to Obama.
I'm going to the polls, but I will not cast my vote for another liberal.
Look me in the eye and say, "Romney is a true-blue conservative, xzins."
Then I'll believe your heart is in this.
I’m 57 and within days of the say birth date as Sotomayor. The fact is long after i’m retired she will be demonstrating her ignorance on the Supreme court. I might be 80 and on my deathbed and she may still be there being wrong as often as she can. These appointments,there are no do overs. we’re stuck not just for their lives but ours.
Given the present choices, I believe we all will in the long run.
Oh, yeah, and don't forget to not vote for any Republican for either of the houses of Congress! We don't want to be racist and not give Obama all the help he needs!
God, this place is like a kindergarten!
“Which is not an argument for supporting Romney...”
No, it’s an argument against your statement that “This is why united conservatives could forge a party that would spell the end of the GOP” (i.e., your de facto argument in support of Obama’s re-election). By 2016? Maybe. In the next 6 months? Not even remotely realistic.
If Romney wins the nomination, I'll be so mad that I won't just stay home or vote for some nobody, I'll vote for Obama!
Take that you Rinos!! (sarc)
I don’t need to say Romney is a conservative. I’ve never once believed he was. I never once have said he is.
Our difference is you’re willing to accept 4 more years and i most assuredly am not.
what you suggest,that i look you in the eye and say Romney is conservative,where did that come from? I need to argue he’s a conservative to justify my voting for him?
I'm with you, Jagdgewehr.
Nope. For me to know your heart is in it. It is a disheartened appeal to vote for Romney. I know demoralized and dispirited when I see it.
Amen that! The "Screw voting - I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue" posters are absolutely moronic.
again. At what point was i happy voting FOR Romney. Never said i was voting for him but always against Obama. I think that would be pretty clear by now.
Santorum suspends his campaign. On the tape.
Three words, sir.
He’s. A. Liberal.
That’s enough for me to find someone else.
We are not alone:
McCain was at least pro-life and a war hero. But I didnt vote for him, I voted for Sarah. I will not pull the lever for the abortionist/socialist big government RINO Romney. And I dont care who he selects as a running mate. Never again.
143 posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:46:15 PM by Jim Robinson
Rebellion is not just brewing, rebellion is here!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies |
You would have to think your way through it, but there is a means for a solid conservative to make a legitimate run for the presidency this cycle.
At this point, I will probably hope for a miracle for Newt, but my fallback position is the Constitution Party. They are already on the ballot here in Ohio, and they’ve served notice in the state attorney race that they can get hundreds of thousands of votes.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.