Skip to comments.Too Little, Too Late: the FBI finally gets access to the murder scene in Benghazi
Posted on 10/06/2012 8:06:13 AM PDT by darkwing104
Three weeks after the attacks on the American Consulate in Benghazi, Libya the FBI finally arrived on the scene under the protection of the U.S. Military, most likely Marines. The crime scene was pretty much looted before the team arrived. The three week delay is being spun as American and Libyans officials declared the area unsafe and that the FBI was in fear of its own safety, which begs the question, do they have an office in Detroit? The visit was conducted in secret, with a military escort as not to alert terrorist to their presence. In the meantime Libyan authorities have been rounding up suspects in their own investigations.
The mother of one of the former SEALs is criticizing the slow pace the FBI was taking regarding the investigation of the September 11 attack that killed her son. She is rightfully demanding to know why the area was not secured. The only evidence that was collected was US Ambassador Chris Stevens journal and that was discovered by CNN. The Ambassador expressed concern about threats from Islamic extremists. For their troubles the State Department took CNN to task for reporting on the diary, Mrs. Clinton cant have upstart reporters contradicting her narrative that this was not a planned terrorist attack but a violent response to a YouTube Video that no one saw. CNN should be commended for recovering something that the American Public has a right to know.
According to anonymous sources, Intelligence agents have focused on a few individuals (Regular readers should remember that al-Qaeda trained Sufyan Ben Qumu is one suspect) belonging to the Ansar al-Shariah extremist group. The only evidence they have presented is that members of the group boasted about their involvement.
(Excerpt) Read more at coachisright.com ...
Lying Democrat Kabuki Theatre....the FBI stopped protecting us long ago.
Does anyone believe that the 0bama regime is really interested in determining the real facts, or that the FBI was sent in to make the story conform with the "party line"?
If the real facts come out, Hildabeast and Hussein are in "deep kimchee" - rising to the level of Impeachable offenses!
Safe for Diplomats, but unsafe for the FBI?
Something is very wrong with this picture.
I smell some lying, cover-up RATS.
A pointless exercise for appearances only.
Senior Libyan official: U.S deploying drones as concerns rise over al Qaeda in eastern Libya
June 8, 2012
Posted in June 2012, News, Week Commencing June 3, 2012 | 12:45
A senior Libyan official told CNN that the U.S. is flying surveillance missions with drones over suspected jihadist training camps in eastern Libya because of concerns over rising activity by al Qaeda and like-minded groups in the region but said that to the best of his knowledge, they had not been used to fire missiles at militant training camps in the area.
The revelation follows a failed attack on the U.S. Mission in Benghazi on Tuesday night, which a shadowy jihadist group claimed was to avenge the death of al Qaeda No. 2 Abu Yahya al-Libi.
The official said that one militant commander operating in Derna, Abdulbasit Azuz, had complained that a drone strike had targeted his training camp in the east of Libya. Last month, there were reports of explosions outside the Derna area in the vicinity of the camps, according to a different source.
The CIAs covert drone strike program is rarely publicly acknowledged. It has been widely reported that drones have been deployed to target militants in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia.
The U.S. flew drones for a while after the NATO intervention in Libya to monitor chemical and biological sites, US military officials tell CNN. But the officials would not comment on whether drone flights were ongoing.
The senior Libyan official said it would be bad if such a strike had occurred. He added that the Americans use of drones in a surveillance capacity had been discussed at the top level of the transitional Libyan government.
As CNN has reported, Azuz is a senior al Qaeda operative and longtime close associate of the groups leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who was dispatched to Libya from the tribal areas of Pakistan in spring 2011, according to several sources. There, he subsequently recruited fighters.
Azuz is a veteran jihadist who fought the Soviet-backed government in Afghanistan in the early 1990s, according to several sources. He later to moved to the UK, where he increasingly came on the radar screen of British security services for his radical recruitment efforts in Manchester. In the period after the July 2005 London bombings, he was detained in the Belmarsh high-security prison and placed under a Control order, according to the sources.
He left the UK in 2009 and traveled to the tribal areas of Pakistan, from where al-Zawahiri redeployed him to Libya to set up a bridgehead for the terrorist group, according to the sources.
According to one source, Azuz has dispatched men as far west as Ajdabiya and Brega in his attempt to build up al Qaeda operations in eastern Libya.
According to the senior Libyan official, five radical Islamist militant commanders are operating in the Derna area, with 200 to 300 men under their command in the camps.
According to Libyan security sources, within the militant ranks in Derna, there are 20 to 30 hardcore jihadist fighters who are cause for most concern. One source said a number of Egyptian jihadists are also present in the Derna area, as well as fighters belonging to al Qaedas North African affiliate, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
Recently, Libyas grand mufti, Asadiq Gherayli, met with the five militant commanders, and four of them, including Azuz, agreed with the government terms not to carry out attacks.
Only one refused: Sufian bin Qumu (also known as Abu Faris al Libi), a released Guantanamo detainee who is believed to be operating a camp in the mountainous woods along the sea outside Derna.
Qumu, 53 is a Libyan jihadist who participated in jihad in Afghanistan in the early and mid-1990s and joined the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group in Sudan in the mid-1990s, where he worked as a truck driver for bin Ladens company, according to a detainee assessment compiled while he was at Guantanamo.
He subsequently moved to Pakistan and then to Afghanistan, during which time he left the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group and declared allegiance to the Taliban, according to the assessment. He was arrested in Pakistan after fleeing Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban and handed over to U.S. authorities.
The assessment described him as having a long-term association with Islamist extremist Jihad and members of Al-Qaida and other extremist groups.
Moammar Gadhafis Libyan government said the assessment considered him a dangerous man with no qualms about committing terrorist acts. The assessment said he had once assaulted guards at the detention facility in Cuba.
It added that before becoming a jihadist, Qumu had served as a tank driver in the Libyan army before spending several years in prison on accusations of murder and drug dealing. It was after his escape in 1993 that he first traveled to Afghanistan.
According to one source, locals in Derna believe he was behind an assassination attempt several months ago on Abdel Hakim al Hasadi, another militant commander in the city.
Several senior Libyan officials said they were aware of Azuz and Qumus presence in the Derna area.
They say local tribes, including the Obeidi tribe, which control the area are keeping watch on the camps. One source said the tribes have the authority to capture and kill the occupants. No one who leaves ever goes back, one source said.
Another source said that the militants are proving increasingly unpopular in Derna and that residents recently forced one group to vacate a camp on the outskirts of the city.
The jihadist group that claimed responsibility for the failed attack on the U.S. Mission in leaflets left at the scene called itself the Imprisoned Omar Abdul Rahman Brigades. It promised more attacks against American interests.
It was first heard from late last month, when it claimed responsibility for an attack on a Red Cross office in Benghazi. A purported video of the attack was apparently posted on jihadist websites that regularly feature statements by al Qaeda. The video showed several rockets being fired into a building at night.
In claiming responsibility, the group stated, We do not recognize (state) borders when we plan for our operations, and we have prepared a message that will soon reach America in response to polluting the clarity of the defiant city of Derna, according to a translation by Flashpoint Partners, which monitors jihadist websites.
According to a source in touch with jihadist militants in eastern Libya, there are indications the group has roots in the Derna area.
Source- Nic Robertson, Paul Cruickshank and Jomana Karadsheh reporting from Tripoli for CNN
They were supposedly on the ground for 12 hours, not that there was much left to investigate after THREE WEEKS. The FBI is fangless and should be disbanded. They are functionaries of the politicians, and their main job is to find whatever their bosses tell them to find. In this case, it was nothing.
That is not a “Murder scene” it is a combat Zone in a Turd World cess pool inhabited by Muslims.
NUKE IT ALL! NUKE IT NOW! ! !
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.