If Lanza’s mother did not have any guns, he may not have been able to perform his crime that day. It may have taken him more days or even years before he perhaps figured out a way to get guns or perhaps he would have realized it would be easier to make a bomb. He was highly intelligent. A bomb would kill even more people.
He himself was a ticking time bomb. The type of weapon is largely irrelevant to his story. He was going to go off. It was just a matter of time.
And this was done at a time when you could buy a Tommy gun over the counter at the hardware store.
In 1927 a massacre took place at the Bath School in Michigan. In that attack, 38 elementary school children where killed, 2 teachers, 4 other adults and the bomber himself. In addition, least 58 people were injured.
Several things need to be noted.
1. The world always has and always will contain disturbed individuals.
2. They often look like the rest of us.
3. When a disturbed person has locked in on doing damage, they will be flexible in how they do it. If they first want a gun and cant get one, they get a bow or a knife as we have recently seen. Some might choose a bomb.
4. A shooter, bow or knife wielder can be stopped by a trained person with a gun.
5. A bomber is not so easy to stop. Bombs can be hidden, have timers, wireless detonation, etc.
6. The law abiding are the only ones that feel the pain of governments trying to legislate safety.