Skip to comments.Chicago Police Chief: Booze, Guns and Abuse of Authority
Posted on 01/13/2013 5:51:44 AM PST by marktwain
Chicagos Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, the 4-star chief. He was quoted on a radio show last week saying he would train his officers to shoot licensed civilians with guns. Nice guy, eh?
Reprinted from NYPD Rants via Newark Speaks.com:
1. Gary McCarthy was found guilty in March 2006 over an traffic altercation he had in 2005 with two New Jersey police officers. A traffic court judge ruled that Gary McCarthy had blocked vehicular traffic with his police-issued car while he and his wife confronted two plainclothes members of the Palisades Interstate Police at a gas station along the Palisades Interstate Parkway. The officers in question had just issued a summons to McCarthys 19-year-old daughter, who was driving another car and became verbally confrontational toward the two police officers whom in essence were enforcing the law. When Gary McCarthy had arrived on scene he was clearly irate and violently confrontational and had to be grabbed by the two police officers whom also confiscated McCarthys firearm and handcuffed him as well as restrained his wife when she attempted to grab the gun from the two police officers. The judge fined McCarthy $200 for blocking traffic.
NOTE: Had this incident occurred in New York City to an NYPD Police Officer the individual in question would be charged with Disorderly Conduct, Resisting Arrest, Obstruction of Governmental Administration, Assault on a Police Officer, and Unlawful Possession of a Weapon. That is not even including the possibility of driving while intoxicated. Now mind you that is just the charges faced by an average civilian. McCarthy was acting as representative of the New York City Police Department so imagine when the next incident occurs, in what capacity is he going to be acting in Newark Police Director?
2. McCarthys wife Regina was charged with unreasonable noise when she verbally abused and cursed at the Palisades Park Police during the entire incident. Most disturbing is the fact that she had attempted to retrieve Gary McCarthys confiscated firearm from an Official Police Vehicle while Gary McCarthy was fighting with one officer. Regina McCarthy had to be physically thrown to the ground as she fought with the officer over the firearm and rear cuffed face down on the ground. My question is what was her intention if she had obtained complete control of that weapon which was a 9mm handgun? Was she going to shoot the officers, break Gary McCarthy free, or just hold the officers at gun point? That is a very, very, frightening thought to comprehend!
3. McCarthy acknowledged he had had two glasses of wine at dinner hours before, but said he was not drunk. He also acknowledged that it was Regina who had backed the NYPDs black Ford Explorer into the gas station against oncoming traffic. My question here is why was a non-certified civilian driving an Official NYPD Police Vehicle when she was not trained by the NYPD Drivers Training Unit as required by the NYPD Patrol Guide for all Line and Duty Officers? The bottom-line is she had no permission to operate the said vehicle! Is she going to be doing this with Newark Police Vehicles as well?
4. When the New Jersey Officers in question tried to calm Gary McCarthy, McCarthy only became more irate and confrontational and told the officers when they informed him that they were going to arrest him for gun possession McCarthy replied; Knock yourself out. Here is a man whom has no respect for police officers when he himself is an executive level law enforcement official in the worlds largest police department. How can men under him respect him? They certainly did not in the NYPD that is for certain.
5. McCarthy acknowledged that he had cursed in retaliation, that he had disregarded Reginas advice to leave the scene when they realized that the Palisade Park Police were giving him more than ample warning to leave the scene before it escalated. He added that that one point a Detective Rossi threatened to put McCarthy through the system, while saying of his career, Twenty-four years down the drain. How does it feel?
6. McCarthy had also lied and denied a report that he had been reprimanded by the NYPD after he had gotten into an physical altercation with a off duty NYPD Sergeant at a cop bar in the Bronx on City Island the night he was appointed deputy commissioner.
On a separate incident McCarthy who was also out drunk again on City Island one evening was shooting out street lights with two other police officers one of whom was McCarthys brother whom is a New York State Trooper.
When McCarthy was confronted by an NYPD Sgt concerning the shooting incident McCarthy had retaliated against the officer later on who insisted on pursuing the shooting incident as a criminal matter. Needless to say the incident was quietly swept under the rug by the NYPD!
7. Gary McCarthy spent two days in a New Jersey traffic court in an attempt to explain away the circumstances that led to his being disarmed, handcuffed, and arrested. It is estimated that McCarthy had spent about $7500 on legal fees and court costs concerning the traffic violation. When confronted by reporters outside the courtroom McCarthy glared at the reporters for about five seconds before uttering the words through clenched teeth, Get away!
8. The traffic incident might not have even occurred had Gary McCarthy done nothing instead of intervened after his teenage daughter Kyla was ticketed for parking illegally in a handicapped zone on the Palisades Interstate Parkway in February 2005. The Palisades police officers who ticketed Kyla and later arrested McCarthy and his wife Regina testified they told Kyla that if she brought a handicapped parking placard to court, they would recommend her ticket be dismissed.
In fact, both McCarthy and his wife ran their mouths and were completely out of control as they cursed and fought with police officers! Unfortunately the McCarthys own testimony did little to exonerate any of them.
9. Gary McCarthy had been drinking the night of the incident. Perhaps that explains why a civilian witness, Douglas Eric Hansen of Massapequa Park, L I., testified that when McCarthy exited his black Ford Explorer, which is an official NYPD vehicle, he did so from the passenger side. If that is accurate, it means Regina who is not a police officer was driving a department car. Either way driver or passenger she had no business inside that vehicle, which McCarthy is issued as a top-ranking department official. It is not for his personal use which is corruption and official misconduct! To make matters worse McCarthy produced Chief of Department Joseph Esposito, the departments highest uniformed officer as a witness whom was not even on scene that night or at the incident! Gary McCarthy telephoned Chief Esposito while in custody the night of the incident and neither man notified the Internal Affairs Bureau, as is required in such incidents. This explains why IAB got a late break on the case with two officers monitoring the incident.
NOTE: According to a section of the Patrol Guide reading, Testimony Before Governmental or Quasi-governmental Agencies, one must have written permission from the police commissioner before testifying. That would make it clear that Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly was on board with Chief Espositos court appearance on behalf of McCarthy. In the 11 months since the incident, Raymond Kelly had taken no action against McCarthy concerning his actions and behavior. NYPD spokesman, Deputy Commissioner of Public Information Paul Browne, claimed McCarthys actions did not rise to the level of departmental discipline. Yet the average police officer would have been terminated for the same offense!
10. On February 18th, 2005, after Kyla McCarthy was ticketed. She immediately telephoned her father Gary McCarthy. According to Palisades Parkway detective Thomas Rossi, who issued the ticket, Kyla got on her cell phone and said, My father would like to speak to you. Rossi refused to speak to Gary McCarthy which is standard procedure on Motor Vehicle stops as something not to do. Kyla McCarthy added that her father was a deputy commissioner in the NYPD and said to Detective Rossi, My father really wants to talk to you. McCarthy arrived minutes later, backed his department car into a one-way zone, jumped out and said to Detective Rossi and his partner Officer Roman Galloza, You know who I am. This is bull****. This is @#%$ bull****. McCarthy became increasingly agitated and noticing McCarthys gun in his waistband, Galloza wrested the gun from McCarthy, tossing it into his own police vehicle. Regina, meanwhile, shouted, Thats my husbands @#%$ gun, and retrieved it, cradling it to her chest as Detective Rossi dived on top of her. Both McCarthys were then handcuffed and arrested.
NOTE: McCarthy and Regina used the word @#%$ so many times, according to testimony, that Traffic Court Judge Steven Zaben, a man of the old school, instructed witnesses to avoid using their actual language. Just say the f-word, he told them. The most sensible advice was offered by Chief Esposito who when McCarthy telephoned him while in custody, said Take the summons and get out of there. According to testimony McCarthy identified himself as the deputy commissioner of the New York City Police Department but did not produce a badge/shield or identification. As he was speaking a white female later identified as Regina McCarthy [his wife] who was yelling obscenities at us from the passenger seat of the black Ford [which happened to be an NYPD department car.] I explained that I was the officer who issued the summons and McCarthy said loudly you know who the @#%$ I was before you issued the summons and that is bull****. McCarthy said numerous times very loudly to go @#%$ ourselves. McCarthy was told to get out of the area before he was charged with weapons possession and McCarthy said You can suck my dick After a scuffle between McCarthy and Rossis partner Roman Galloza, Rossi grabbed the handgun out of his [McCarthys] waistband for officer safety and threw it in the front seat of [the patrol car] McCarthys wife stated That is my husbands @#%$ gun. She reached for the handgun and I had to jump on her back and take the gun out of her hand. I placed her into handcuffs The NYPD took no disciplinary actions against McCarthy. Spokesman Paul Browne said early on his actions did not rise to the level of discipline.
11. To add insult to injury and embarrassment after Commissioner Ray Kelly let Gary McCarthy skate after the New Jersey incident; Gary was back up to his old tricks again. McCarthy involved himself in another car stop. This one involved the arrest of a relative in Manhattan for drunken driving. When a cop on the midnight tour of the Manhattan North Task Force pulled the relative over, the relative telephoned McCarthy but the cop refused to speak to him. Instead, after consulting with his Sergeant and Lieutenant, the cop arrested the relative of McCarthy. McCarthy was not happy. He began calling the borough commander, Assistant Chief Raymond Diaz, to have the cop, Sergeant and Lieutenant transferred. Behind-the-scenes negotiations with a union trustee ultimately produced a back-door apology. Only a few months ago Gary McCarthy again involved himself in the Manhattan North Task Force car stop. This time, it involved a friend of his who was summonsed by a cop for talking on his cell phone while driving. When the cop asked McCarthys friend why he had been talking while driving, the friend answered, Because I got a @#%$ phone call. Again, McCarthy was not happy, and again, he attempted to have the cop transferred. The cop, however, comes from a police family. A relative is an inspector. So far there have been no transfers. Neither McCarthy nor the Task Force Captain, William Crossan would comment on the case.
12.Gary was back up to his old tricks again. He involved himself in another car stop, this one involved the arrest of a relative in Manhattan for DWI.
More pictures available at the source.
SPECIAL ALERT BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU ARE READING
As many of you know by now, there is a near-viral posting going around the internet that insinuates that Chicago Police Superintendant Garry McCarthy plans to train Chicago police officers in methods of setting up concealed carry permit holders for murder. Weve all come to know McCarthy as one of those guys that has a mouth that moves faster than his brain. But, at this time, the ISRA has no independent confirmation that McCarthys alleged remarks on a Chicago radio station are genuine, or within what context they may have been uttered.
Garry McCarthys record speaks for itself, and that record paints McCarthy as the most ineffectual big-city top-cops in the nation. That notwithstanding, we do not believe that McCarthy is stupid enough to publicly reveal that it is the official policy of the CPD to murder concealed carry permit holders in cold blood.
One thing we know for sure, our many friends who comprise law-enforcements rank and file are well trained on how to properly engage armed civilians with a peaceful outcome as the main objective. Likewise, a key element of concealed carry training will be training on how civilians may safely interact with police officers. In 49 other states, armed engagements between lawful permit holders and police officers are unheard of. When CCW is implemented here in Illinois, the ISRA will spare no effort to ensure that such is the case here in Illinois as well.
If McCarthy was smart, he would put out a statement clarifying his alleged remarks so as to avoid further angst amongst the public.
And, as just a general word to our friends and members, we all understand that the past few weeks have been difficult for the entire nation. Weve seen a horrific crime committed in Connecticut. As fallout of that crime, weve seen politicians and the media shift the blame for the crime from the irresponsible person who armed and trained a mentally ill young man, and over to responsible firearm owners. In the past few weeks, weve seen extremist gun controllers launch an all out attack on your rights. To make matters worse, inflammatory comments from people like Obama, Biden, Feinstein and Piers Morgan have stoked the fires of division. These so-called leaders would do well to ponder the consequences of tempting fate with unbridled passion. Its a safe bet that there is a person or persons somewhere out there looking for an excuse to relive the horrors of the early 1990s. Such is something that this nation could not endure.
The bottom line is this resist becoming an agent of division. Dont spread unfounded rumors, and dont make up any rumors of your own. Avoid debates that cannot be held in a civil manner. Instead, concentrate your energies on working to preserve and protect your gun rights through the legislative and legal processes. Believe it or not, the system still works.
Please distribute this alert to your friends and family and post it to any and all Internet bulletin boards and blogs to which you belong.
Typical arrogant liberal. For years I thought the :don’t you know who I am” was a line used in parodies of arrogant people. Then I learn that arrogant people actually use such a line (as I found out during a road rage incident involving the VP of a major controls system manufacturer - which is now banned from a certain major refinery).
Thank you for the information and clarification.
Shame on NYC for not dumping this dirtbag and for Chi-town for hiring him.
Chicago deserves him.
Suggest barf bucket nearby if you dare to read.....
Chicago’s top cop again calls for more gun laws
By Ryan Haggerty
2:16 PM CST, January 12, 2013
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy today called for tougher gun laws and reiterated his opposition to legalizing the concealed carry of handguns in Illinois.
The answer to guns is not more guns, McCarthy said during a panel discussion about gun violence that was part of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalitions weekly forum at its headquarters in the citys Kenwood neighborhood.
McCarthy, the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr., WVON-AM radio host Cliff Kelley and others discussed gun laws, Chicagos homicide rate and recent mass killings in Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Colo., in front of an audience of a few hundred people.
McCarthy stressed his opposition to allowing the concealed carry of handguns in Illinois, even though Illinois is the only state in the country that doesnt permit the practice.
Just because its 49 to one doesnt mean that Illinois is wrong, McCarthy said.
Kelley pointed out that recent court rulings have put the future of the states ban on concealed carry in doubt. Last month, a 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel in Chicago threw out the state ban, giving lawmakers six months to figure out how to let people carry guns legally outside their homes.
But McCarthy said those who support concealed carry dont realize the potential effects of allowing people to carry guns in public....
“Don’t you know who I am”. Interestinly and recently, my grandson (A 2nd generation Wisconsin State Trooper) stopped a well spoken gentleman for excessive speed and a ticket was issued. Following the incident, my grandson began to wonder why the name rang a bell but he could not connect it to anything or anyone in particular. He had done the routine check of the persons driving record, etc. and nothing came up as unusual. After thinking about it a bit more, he contacted his dispatch and asked if they could check a bit further on that particular individual. Seems the guy he ticked was/is a Wisconsin Surpreme Court Justice who DID NOT use the phrase, “Do you know who I am?”. My hat is off to the justice.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.