Skip to comments.The Second Amendment and the consent of the governed
Posted on 01/23/2013 9:02:33 PM PST by 2ndDivisionVet
The current debate over the constitutionally guaranteed right of the people to keep and bear arms has shed more heat than light, despite a Supreme Court ruling that individuals, and not simply well-regulated militias, possess this right. For both liberals and conservatives have sold this right short.
Liberals have been gnashing their teeth over the Court ruling, and are seeking to circumvent it by regulating firearms. Thus, President Obama now proposes that certain dangerous-looking rifles be banned and ammunition be strictly controlled. That this proposal has more to do with leftist ideology than public safety is demonstrated by the fact that a bushmaster handgun, was used by the lunatic last month in Newtown, Connecticut.
Advocates of what is known as gun control are hoping that emotion can triumph over reason by means of public hysteria over what one conservative commentator rightly called bright shiny objects, in utter ignorance of the fact of widespread gun ownership. It is undisputed that more than 300 million firearms are privately owned, an insurmountable barrier to confiscation. Note this fact well.
While liberals have historically emphasized the constitutionality of militias and dismissed the rights of individuals to own guns, they are in fact no fans of militias. Liberal media took great delight in discovering private militia groups when the nation as a whole was more concerned about Islamic terrorism.
When push comes to shove, their rhetorical preference is undoubtedly a ploy to insure that individual gun ownership is subjected to crippling regulations and even made an offense against decency, as revealed by the suburban New York newspaper that outed legal gun owners. (That was just outlawed by the New York state legislature.)
Although I believe liberals are wrongheaded, I understand their fears. The last thing they want is a well-armed citizenry...
(Excerpt) Read more at desertdispatch.com ...
Thats going to get tossed around like a wet penguin at a leopard shark party for a day or two.
Thats going to get tossed around like a wet penguin at a leopard seal (not shark) party for a day or two.
I dunno. We currently have the guns. And we have something close to tyranny. I don't think the government feels very constrained ... and we're certainly not doing anything.
Second Amendment doesn't mean much if we're not using it. And having guns in your gun safe is not using the Second Amendment. Fighting tyrants is using the Second Amendment.
The first and foremost thing we need is a well armed America society, so far thanks to Obama that is well along the way.
The next stage is getting the fears shed and cast away about being part of a militia, a term thats been heavily demonized by the left. And massively infiltrated all across America, why I bet the FBI has thousands of agents placed within militias all across America, just waiting for a ripe opportunity to castrate them.
First off any suggestions would be knocked down even more so than a birther forum.
But lets just think about that for a moment, say it was done openly admitting to bringing in weapons to a place thats declared them illegal, could or would the laws be enforced?
I doubt seriously any discussion would get anywhere because it would just set up roadblocks and weapons confiscation stations. It would be for a practical point of view to form a proper militia with some semblance of unitized uniforms and THEN have them escorted into Washington DC with their weapons.
How would law enforcement arrest and jail two million men, women and children?
They cannot arrest a million plus, but they will try if given the orders, and they do have some truck mounted non lethal crowd dispersal equipment from water to sound, to infrared radiation to super slippery films.
They will try because its all about supremacy, either they take the wind out of our sails or we convince them we are something else and let them show the weakness that we can exploit, that is taken from a mive Captain and Commander, far side of the World I think where they had to go up against a superior warship.
Obama very well could just blockade Washington DC, that what I would do as a tyrannical dictator, but if i were a real bastard I would allow armed citizens all the way into Washington Dc.
But then encircle them, starve them out in exchange for their guns, make them look like fools nationwide because they refused to do anything. Those weapons are not protest placards. they are intentions that will be driven upon by the due course of laws written 200 years ago.
Sorry to say it America, from birth you were drafted, you gonna evade or answer your call of duty?
How will the left attempt to restrict guns if they can’t outright ban them? Let me count the ways...
1) Capture as many gun transactions/information as possible in national databases. If possible, 100% gun registration.
2) Background checks on all gun transactions including ammo.
3) Gun licensing and mandatory recurring training.
4) Extra taxes on gun and ammo purchases.
5) Requirements to carry liability insurance to own a gun, with increasing premiums based on the types and quantities owned.
6) Limits on the kinds of guns that can be manufactured, including guns locks keyed to owners DNA, fingerprints, etc. (single shot weapons preferred).
7) Requirement to store guns in government approved safes when not in use. Ammo must be stored separately.
8) Random home inspections and certifications to ensure #7 or...
9) Requirement to store guns in federally owned storage sites with waiting periods to draw gun out for use.
10) Waiting lists to buy a gun.
11) Limits on the number of guns that can be purchased per year and/or total number that can be owned.
12) Anti-gun curriculum added to schools (children, doctors, and others encouraged to report gun owners).
13) Requirement to send guns back to manufacturers for annual serviceability checks (this one would be a boon for gun manufacturers, sort of like Obamacare for health insurance companies)
14) Requirement to file plans prior to transporting any gun across state borders (with a long wait for approval of course).
15) Requirement to buy government approved container and pay for professional installation in vehicle prior to transporting any gun.
16) (NEW!) Pressure companies to put financial pressure or stop doing business with gun manufacturers, merchants, and owners. Have a gun in the house or car? Pay much more to insure them.
17) Whatever else they can think of to make it extremely difficult to own a gun without “infringing” on the right to bear arms!
Just thought of another one...
18) Heavy fines and permanent ban from ever legally owning guns again for violating any of the above restrictions.
[[Liberals have been gnashing their teeth over the Court ruling, and are seeking to circumvent it by regulating firearms.]]
They are ALSO tryign to circumvent it by ‘regulating WHO can and can not own guns’ hence the mandatory mental health evaluations required in NY now- thsi is why I’ve been sayign right along that the peopel MUST band together and stand up NOW rather than later, because our constitutional rights are udner attack like never before-
[[What would be the reaction of the elites if one or two million armed citizens descended upon the capitol? ]]
They woudl wait it out, until they thought everyoen had forgotten abotu hte issue, then try again in a week- They are watchign NY VERY closely to see if hte peopel there are goign to use hte second amendment to protect their freedoms or not-
when over a million (probably) unarmed descended upon the capitol they acted as if they weren’t there. nothing to see here the mouthpieces said.
Actually, there IS an AR-15 pistol. Dunno if Bushmaster makes it.
“But then encircle them, starve them out in exchange for their guns...”
I’m pretty sure that many armed individuals could make a hole anywhere they wanted to. And they would run out of enforcers real quick after casualties ran into three or four digits.
I would not bet my life or my sons life, nor those who elected me as their leader on suppositions some would escape.
If there was a mass march upon Washington DC its all or bust, no surrender, no leaving until the goal is accomplished. Forward preplaced materials and supplies are to be in place long before the event, enough for several months occupation.
Lacking pure conviction leads to failure.
I thought the most effective principle was, "Think globally. Act locally."
We should wish to be strong where our enemy is weak.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.