Obama tells health insurance companies to break the law!
In March 2010, President Obama signed the Obamacare bill into law.
Obamacare requires all insurance policies to cover pre-existing conditions, maternity care, treatment for heroin addiction, and certain other things.
Therefore, based on simple logic, any policies that do not cover these things are rendered illegal by Obamacare, and must be canceled at the end of 2013.
The Washington Post said of this:
Beginning Jan. 1, the new plans must cover 10 essential benefits including pediatric care, prescription drugs, mental-health services and maternity care. In general, policies that dont offer those cant be sold after 2013.
However, after insurance companies canceled these policies, Obama wrongly blamed the cancellations on the insurance companies instead of on Obamacare.
Later, on November 14, 2013, Obama told these insurance companies to restore these canceled policies. However, he did this without Congress voting to approve these changes to Obamacare. The President does not have the legal authority to change a law that was passed by Congress, without those changes first being approved by Congress.
In other words, Obama told insurance companies to do something that was illegal.
In addition, insurance companies and state insurance regulators said that there was not enough time for them to reissue these canceled policies by January 1, 2014. They had just spent 44 months making all of the changes that Obamacare required, but now Obama was telling them to undo a lot of these changes within a time period of less than two months.
Of course this is not nearly the first time that Obama has illegally changed Obamacare without approval from Congress. Here are 16 other examples of Obama breaking the law – the very same Obamacare law that he himself had signed into law in the first place:
1) Within months after Obamacare was passed, Obama, without approval from Congress, illegally gave some organizations, including numerous corporations and unions, an exemption from some of the requirements of Obamacare. As time went on, more than 1,300 organizations received these exemptions.
2) In 2013, members of Congress and their staff complained that Obamacare was going to cost them a lot of money, and said that this would likely cause a brain drain among their staff. In response to this, Obama made changes to Obamacare so that these things would not happen. However, Obamas actions were illegal, because he made these changes without Congress voting on them first. The New York Times wrote of this:
the language of the health care law requires Congressional employees to obtain health insurance through an exchange created by the law, but other parts of the federal legal code restrict the ability of the federal government to pay the usual employer share for group insurance programs approved by the Office of Personnel Management.
A straightforward reading of the law thus means that Congressional staff members, starting in January 2014, will have to obtain insurance through the Affordable Care Act but pay for it on their own without the normal contribution from their employer Congress. This would be a multi-thousand-dollar income hit for those affected many would potentially feel the pain, giving rise to concerns over a potential brain drain of Congressional staff members finding other employment.
the federal personnel office initially ruled that Congressional staff members would not be eligible for the subsidies, and then changed this decision under pressure from the White House
3) In July 2013, Obama illegally delayed the employer mandate part of Obamacare from January 2014 until January 2015 without Congressional approval.
4) Even though Obamacare requires the government to verify the income of people who receive subsidies for Obamacare exchanges, in August 2013 it was reported that Obama would not be verifying their incomes.
5) As it was passed by the House and Senate and signed by Obama in 2010, Obamacare sets caps on the out of pocket payments that people pay for health care, and these caps were legally required to take effect in January 2014. However, in August 2013, Obama, without approval from Congress, illegally delayed these caps until January 2015.
6) Obamacare requires that individual employees of small businesses be allowed to choose their own insurance plan during the first year of Obamacare. However, in March 2013, the Obama administration announced that it would not be allowing them to make this choice during the first year. Beacause Obama did this without approval from Congress, his action was illegal.
7) After Obamacare was passed, Obama illegally added 20,000 extra pages to it, without approval from Congress.
8) In May 2013, the Washington Post reported that Obama had illegally used Obamacare to give additional powers to the IRS, without approval from Congress.
9) In May 2013, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicited donations from health insurers to help pay for Obamacare. Such soliciting is illegal. Obama refused to fire or prosecute Sebelius for her criminal behavior.
10) Obamacare calls for the creation of 16,500 new IRS agents. In March 2011, 15 IRS agents illegally seized the medical records of 10 million people without a warrant. Obama refused to fire or prosecute them for their criminal behavior.
11) In August 2013, it was reported that Obama had illegally used Obamacare to fund pre-K education without approval from Congress.
12) In August 2013, it was reported that Obama had illegally missed 41 of Obamacares 82 deadlines.
13) In August 2013, it was reported that Obama was trying to give illegal Obamacare subsidies to unions, without approval from Congress.
14) Obamacare requires that the online registration for small businesses be ready by October 1, 2013. However, five days before that date, Associated Press reported that this deadline would not be met.
15) In November 2013, it was reported that Obama was trying to illegally exempt some unions from some of the Obamacare fees, without approval from Congress.
16) In August 2013, without approval from Congress, Obama illegally gave an Obamacare waiver to Massachusetts.