Skip to comments.Michelle Visits a Virginia Spa in Equestrian Country: Thatís a Horse of Different Color.
Posted on 04/30/2014 6:40:41 AM PDT by NOBO2012
I see the WaPo let the cat out of the bag, which was picked up by WeaselZippers and now everybodys buzzing about Lady M and the Wee Wons private weekend at the luxurious Salamander spa.
I dont know why people begrudge Lady M a little R&R; after all, she did just complete a tour of duty overseas. Doesnt everyone deserve a good cleanse and refreshing massage after such a grueling trip:
Plus, shortly after her return she attended Easter church services; who wouldnt be exhausted?
And, as MO herself explained to Michael Strahan at the Spring-Sphere Roll:
You know, if were not going to church we really try to use Sunday as family downtime where we can kind of breathe and catch up and maybe take a little nap every now and then if were not working, she said. We could be loungin and nappin.
And hey - where better to breathe, catch up, lounge around and maybe catch a nap than a luxury spa spread out over 340 verdant acres in bucolic Middleburg, a small town in Virginia's under-the-radar wine and equestrian country?
And while we all know that the equestrian lifestyle is the exclusive purview of privileged, rich, white, one-percenters -
we did get to shutdown an entire winery for a private wine tasting: that was fun.
I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the amenities offered by the Salamander Spa Resort. I highlighted the ones that Lady M took advantage of.
Conference & Event Spaces
- Luxurious 5,000-square-foot-divisible Middleburg Ballroom
- 1,800-square-foot-divisible Bluemont Ballroom
- 1,000-square-foot Hospitality Suite with outdoor terrace
- Executive Boardrooms and breakout rooms
- 2,000-square-foot Grand Ballroom Foyer area opening to a large outdoor terrace with spectacular countryside views
- Unique function spaces including the Stallion Barn, Equestrian Barn, Grand Lawn, outdoor terraces, poolside settings, Culinary Gardens, Library and Billiards Room
- 2,000-square-foot Presidential Suite with large entertainment balcony
- Dining Room exclusively for group luncheons
Amenities, Activities and Programs
- Equestrian Center with 22 stalls, riding arena with ThorTurf footing, scenic trails, and traditional as well as unique equestrian programming.
- Miles of walking and biking trails
- Nature-based activities including bird watching and a sustainable garden
- Exclusive golf privileges at nearby Creighton Farms featuring a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course
- Bocce, croquet, putting green and other lawn games
- Tennis courts with outdoor pool complex
- Sundlun Library has a wide collection of current and historic books available, as well as board games and quiet areas
- Tours of 50 Virginia wineries within 60 minutes of the resort
- Over 400 annual equestrian-related activities, including steeplechases, polo events, and some of the countrys most celebrated horse shows
- Shopping and dining in the historic village of Middleburg
- Historic area tours including Journey Through Hallowed Ground
- Cultural tours and activities in Washington, D.C.
- Todd Gray, owner and Executive Chef of the acclaimed Equinox Restaurant in Washington, D.C., serves as Culinary Director
- Equestrian-inspired Harrimans Grill features Virginia Piedmont-influenced cuisine and inspiring panoramic views
- Gold Cup Wine Bar and Billiards Room, serves an extensive wine list and menu of locally-inspired small plates throughout the day
- State-of-the-art Cooking Studio featuring guest chefs and culinary classes
- Private dining room for up to 20
- Market Salamander provides gourmet picnic baskets for dining on the Resort grounds, in the nearby vineyards and at local equestrian events
- 24-hour In-Room Dining
- 14 deluxe treatment rooms with either private outdoor treatment terraces or fireplaces
- Exclusive Couples Suite with private terrace, whirlpool, steam shower and pedestal tub [I better not comment on this one]
- Deluxe locker rooms with grand whirlpools, steam room, heated stone lounge chairs and experiential water features
- Secluded spa courtyard with infinity edge pool, fire pit, whirlpool and private cabanas
- Salon featuring hair, make-up, manicure and pedicure stations
- Advanced fitness center including indoor pool, cardio and weight room and movement studios, sauna and outdoor terraces [Normally, of course, we would have spent a lot of time here, butt we were doing a cleanse instead]
Youll be pleased to know that the rich, white, one percenters who have contributed to her husbands campaign, were thrilled at the opportunity to see Lady M in person:
She was walking through the lobby and everyone stood up and started clapping, explained Edgerton. She looked right at me and said, Hi, everybody, I hope youre having fun, and I raised my arms in the air and said with a big smile I am! Edgerton admitted, perhaps unnecessarily, to being a big fan of the first lady, who wasnt spotted again until Sunday when a tipster saw her having lunch on a private terrace with a group of around 20.
I think its really nice she came to town and was so under the radar, said Punkin Lee, president of the Middleburg Business Association. Lee said she hadnt heard about Obamas weekend visit until it was over. But thats why people come here, she added
Punkin Lee is that not a rich white girl name!?!
That reminds me, the Kennedys were also quite taken with the area, eventually buying a place of their own in Middleburg to keep their horses.
Remind me again why is it we demonize rich, white one percenters who own horses?
Oh, right: theyre greedy, heartless Republicans.
And thats a horse of different color.
Posted from: Michelle Obamas Mirror
She’ll be in San Antonio Friday.
Any truth that she’s riding the favorite in the “Derby”?
Any more Relaxed and she would be comatose.
Notice they report she was spotted on a balcony eating breakfast with 20 friends?
I’m sure they all went Dutch.....or Kenyan
She IS the favorite in the Derby!
A “spa” treatment would inlude a pedicure! Think I’m gonna barf.
Hanging with Castro (detest the man)
She is Mr. Ed, Wilbur!! She flew there on Air Horse One.
What stall, er paddock, er suite did she get, Did they serve molasses with her buckets of oats?
Are you familiar with bible passage about the ‘cows of Bashan’? Sleek fat cows(women) who tell their husbands what to do.
Amos 4:1 - cows of Bashan = women who oppress the poor and crush the needy and say to your husbands, “Bring us some drinks!”
That has got to be Queen MO the first.
Lefties are always drawn to the society haunts that their political beliefs would destroy. They then get carried away like country come to town and become horrible snobs about it, unlike those born to it who have nothing to prove and would know better even if they did.
Lots of info
Let’s not forget she pays her under aged daughters as staffers. Out of our taxes.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.