Skip to comments.Failed predictions from the first Earth Day in 1970
Posted on 02/07/2018 11:45:48 AM PST by grundle
On July 9, 2017, New York Magazine published this article, which is called, “The Uninhabitable Earth.”
On July 14, 2017 – just five days later – New York Magazine said that the article
“… is already the most-read article in New York Magazines history.”
My response to this article is to remind you of the following bogus doomsayer predictions that were made during the first Earth Day in 1970:
* Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for the first Earth Day, wrote, “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
* Senator Gaylord Nelson, the founder of Earth Day, stated, “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
* Peter Gunter, a professor at North Texas State University, stated, “… by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions… By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
* Paul Ehrlich, author of The Population Bomb, predicted that between 1980 and 1989, 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would starve to death.
* Life Magazine wrote, “… by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half.”
* Ecologist Kenneth Watt stated, “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”
* Watt also stated, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate that there wont be any more crude oil.”
Real scientists learn form their mistakes, and from the mistakes of others.
However, the environmental doomsayers who have been making these bogus predictions for many decades have expressed absolutely zero interest in learning why these predictions of the past failed to come true.
Instead, these doomsayers pretend that these failed predictions were never made, in the hopes that their current audience has either forgotten about them, or was never even aware of them in the first place.
Whatever happened to the scientific method?
Whatever happened to a willingness to admit to being wrong?
Whatever happened to the desire to learn from one’s mistakes, as well as from the mistakes of others?
For the scientifically illiterates out there who don’t know that carbon dioxide is the bottom of the food chain, here is an article form NASA called “Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds.”
Also, back when the dinosaurs were alive, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were five times as high as they are today, and global temperatures were so high that there were no polar ice caps. But the earth was not “uninhabitable.” It was actually the exact opposite, which is why it was home to the biggest land animals that the planet has ever had.
I wrote this blog entry, which is called “The worlds supply of resources is getting bigger, not smaller.” It includes links to verify its claims.
I also made this video, which is called “Hitler gets mad at Al Gore’s global warming hypocrisy.” The video’s description contains links to verify its claims:
“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.
I have major starvation before lunch time, then I go to In N Out Burger..
I guess it's good you admit stuff like that.
I wouldn't, but if it makes you feel better...
30 years from now liberals and their progressive brethren (collectivists all) will be in a whining spitting frenzy about some other catastrophe in the offing. They will have forgotten all about Global Warming, just as they have forgotten all about the new Ice Age they prognosticated in the 1970’s.
What will it be???
Half the kids in the grade wore surgical masks for months. I realized it was a joke when my college age brother and sister just spent a month of Earth Day days playing Frisbee in the park to live bands and smoked a ton of pot during that month.
But those grade school teachers really worked us over. In a way it was a primer. I'm glad they did.
They no longer call them "predictions," but extrapolations or similar name which can be redefined as their data is shown to be just more hysterical scaremongering.
Long live government grants!
April 22, 1970. = The centennial of mass murderer : Lenins birth .
—yeah, it’s a “coincidence”.
I remember my first day well, I was in college and the hippies were all joyous and drugged out.
I was in the 7th. grade and yeah, the teachers had us believing we were all doomed. So being the smart ass I was I said “Does that mean we don’t have to do home work anymore?’ For that I got a ton of it.
Odds are good you knew my brother and sister then.
We only survived BECAUSE of the great scientific consensus that grew out of the original Earth Day warnings! DUH!
I would bet my whole years salary that SOME IDIOT on the left will use this excuse for all of the bovine excrement about their failed prophecies!! Any takers?
>>I wrote this blog entry
>I guess it’s good you admit stuff like that.
>I wouldn’t, but if it makes you feel better...
What did I just read? Oh, it’s Humblegunner’s latest Blog entry!
Humblegunner figured out how to get his blog read: publish entries on other people’s posts.
Yeah, but we made an overcorrection in reversing the next ice age, and now we have global warming.
Yes, please visit my blog as often as you can and tell all your friends.
We are omitting the "We are all going to die from global cooling" in 1974. Life Magazine it was I think that had it on their cover. I remember it because we had a few school days called off because of snow and that was proof enough for a 9th grader. We made sure we all got busy with the opposite sexes real quick while we had time. Good use of the school days off too.
We all came around during the Peter Frampton, Lynrd Skynrd, concert that next summer and just had sex because it was fun from that point on. We really didn't pay much attention to the weather after that.
Man I could go on and on.
The liberals who shove their global warming lies down our throat will not give up their stuff, but they demand that you give up yours!. We've come a long way baby!
I hadn’t been back long from Vietnam and didn’t give a rat’s butt about “Earth Day”...Still don’t....
“predicted that between 1980 and 1989, 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would starve to death”
This BS led to Roe v. Wade and “Replacement children only”.
The result is 60 million murdered children, a white birthrate under replacement, and a flood of foreigners both legal and illegal into our country in the last 45 years.
The man’s nonsense did more damage then a nuclear weapon.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.