Skip to comments.Toby Kieth Does it Again - "An AMerican Soldier" (Vanity)
Posted on 11/08/2003 5:34:57 AM PST by commish
Sorry for the vanity, but I know that many Freepers are fellow Toby Kieth Fans.
Toby has followed up his mega-hit "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" with another Amazing Patriotic song that is sure to have the Dixie Chicks little anti-war heads reeling. I challenge anyone who hears the song "An American Soldier" to say that they did not puff out thier chest, get a tear in thier eye, and get an urge to hug the next military Member they see.
"An American Soldier" is IMO a better song then "Courtesy" and it is the cornerstone of Toby's new album "SHOCK'N Y'ALL". "soldier" is a wonderful tribute to our men in uniform and is a vocal tour de force by Toby.
In Addition to "Soldier", The other 11 songs on "SHOCK'N Y'ALL are among the best Toby has produced. I would have never thought he could top "Unleashed", but "Shock'n Y'all" does just that. Please indulge me and I will give you my review of the songs on this album
1. I Love This Bar - Performed on the CMA awards, and a rollicking Honky-tonk song. Pure Toby, Pure Country, and awesome.
2. Whiskey Girl - Another great Honky-tonk song, and this one is just the type of song we expect to hear from Toby.
3. An American Soldier - As I said above, an amazing followup to "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" and an amazing vocal performance.
4. If I Were Jesus - When this song first starts you will be asking yourself where is Toby going with this one, but by the end you will realize that Toby has just laid his spirituality bare for all the world to see.
5. Time For Me To Ride - The first "road" song on the album, and you find yourself wondering if you are listening to Toby or Hank Jr. This one is a major keeper.
6. Sweet - Another song that sounds as if it could have come from Toby or Hank Jr. All I can say about this song is "SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET".
7. Don't Leave, I think I Love You - Another awesome Honky-tonk song, and one that every single guy who has been sitting in a bar a half hour before closing time has sung to himself.
8. Nights I can't remember, Friends I'll never Forget - Just close your eyes and you will swear that this is a song that Waylon and Willie would have sung. This is one of my personal favorites on the album.
9. Baddest Boots - Just a good country song, nuf said.
10. The Critic - A little bit of a different sound for Toby, and really the one song one the Album that let me down. But, it sounds like this is a persinal issue for Toby, so I will forgive him the indulgence.
THE BUS SONGS - The final 2 songs are songs that anyone who has seen Toby in Concert have heard, but they have never been recorded before. These are songs the band came upo with while riding on the bus, and I am glad Toby finally included them on an album.
11. The Taliban Song - A cute song, from a slightly different angle than his other patriotic songs. Toby is a little less "Diplomatic" in his word choice on this song (wink wink nod nod LOL).
12. Weed With Willy - OK, Some people will because Toby has a song about drugs on his album, but the song is a rollicking good time. I could hear myriad artists doing this one - Johnny Cash, Willie, Waylon, Merle, Hank Jr. etc etc etc
Since I am all alone this morning, I had it cranked and I was singing (way off tune) as loud as I could.
I will buy this CD today! Thanks
I am very fortunate to get to hug a military member many times each day. Since my hubby got back from Iraq (Oct 11) I have hugged him so many times Im surprised my arms havent fallen off.
Well, since you still have arms, give him a hug for every one of us. ;-)
And tell him we appreciate his service to his country.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.