Skip to comments.See Y'all Later...
Posted on 04/04/2005 8:07:34 PM PDT by Long Cut
Well, that time has come for me. Im leaving FR. However, I do not consider this an opus, as I am NOT going to use it to rehash old slights or arguments, or to give my personal opinion of what should be done around here. As has been so often pointed out, this is Jim Robinsons site, and he runs it as he sees fit. Rather, all Im going to do here is give a general reason for my departure, and say a hearty-but-sad GOODBYE! to all the folks here who have enriched my life in the past four years.
I am a small-government, national-security and military supporting, pro-gun, economic conservative who also likes to enjoy the life I have to its fullest. I believe that the government does its best work when it restricts itself to the things it is supposed to do vis a vis the Constitution. That is, it should restrict itself at this time to shooting terrorists and delivering the mail, as well as doing its level best to ensure that the rights of one citizen are left untrampled by another. I hold that the government should stay as far as possible from any entanglements with religion, organized or not, save to ensure that ALL are treated fairly by the law. I also hold that the government should NOT be in the business of making laws regarding the personal, private behavior of its free citizens, so long as such behavior harms no other.
In these past months, it has become plain to me that this position is NOT that of a majority of FReepers, nor of the management itself. So, rather than tilt at windmills, I shall simply go my own way. I have no comments about this circumstance or its origins; it is simply the way I see things.
Also, I have grown as a person on FR. When I first joined, Id be right in there flaming with the best of em. As the years have past, I have come to realize the value of simple, civil discourse, for it is in that sort of discourse that a man may actually learn things, both about the topic at hand, and about himself and what being a true gentleman means.
As before, in the past months, the majority seems to prefer it to be otherwise. Again, no comments, just stating what I see.
Before I leave, however, I wish to do two things.
First and foremost, I wish to thank Mr. Robinson for providing this site despite the necessity of leaving now, I have truly learned a great deal here, too much for words. I was able to vent my spleen on issues that mattered to me, talk about mutual interests with like-minded people, and get to know some absolutely terrific folks. Mr. Robinson, you did a good job. Sorry indeed am I that I must part ways. Nonetheless, as one old Sailor to another, Fair Winds And Following Seas, Shipmate!
Second, I wish to thank, and bid farewell to, some of the most outstanding people it has ever been my pleasure and honor to know.
- The folks over at the FReeper Canteen, shepherded by 68-69tonkingulfyachtclub. I was drawn to the Canteen almost on my first day here, as there exists there an outpouring of support and affection for this nations military (of which I am a part) the likes of which have seldom seen equal. From the first, they took me in as if I were one of their own families, and the regular posters there were with me with prayers and support, as well as joy and salutes, through many dark days indeed, and many bright ones.
I am an agnostic, religiously, but that did not matter to my Canteen Friends they were there with prayers and, well, love when my wife and I lost our first baby. They shared in the joy we had when we finally had a healthy son. They prayed again, selflessly, for me when I went on deployment. Then, they welcomed me home again with open arms, and more prayers, as I came home to bury my dear mother. In doing this for someone they knew was not religious himself, and in doing it without any hesitation, they showed a non-believer the BEST side of Christianity one could possibly ask for. To the Canteen, including Ms. Behavin, Ms. Poohbear, La diva loca, trussel, Tonk, Spotsy, Bentfeather, KathyinAlaska, and all the rest too numerous to name, I say without any sense of irony at all, BLESS YOU.
- The many unbelievably intelligent scientists and science-lovers over on the Crevo and science threads, ably pinged by PatrickHenry. From you ladies and gentlemen of BOTH sides, I have expanded my scientific knowledge and thinking by an order of magnitude. Ichneumon, Vade, Junior, Radio Astronomer, Right wing Professor, Betty Boop, Alamo-Girl, and all the rest of the maniacs over there made it an edifying experience that could never have been acquired in a school.
- The HTT list. I thoroughly enjoyed the times we spent raisin Hell. Gabz, Formermilitarychick, exnavychick, and the rest shared many a laugh with this old Heathen.
- Archy, Squantos, Travis McGee, Glock Rocks, Joe Brower, criminall number 18f, and all of the guys and gals on the gun or Bang List threads. I learned a ton of good gouge from you guys over the years. Im gonna miss you, but with your advice I shant miss much else with a pistol!
- The Republican Party Reptiles. The Big B and company showed quite well that not ALL conservatives are stick in the muds. Many of us actually LIKE looking at pretty women in few clothes. B, I hope the party lasts a bit longer fer yall.
- The WPPFF. Yall know who you are, and why. All I can say is, we tried. And we tried long past what any normal person would have, to our credit.
- My individual Friends DaughterOfAnIwoJimaVet, Veronica, peach, the incomparable PukinDog, Wild Turkey, and about a hundred others I could take a couple of days naming. Ill miss yall sumpin turible.
Anyhoo, this has gotten longer than I ever thought it would. Anyone with me on their ping lists can go ahead and remove my name, if you wish. Those whose wish it is to gloat, say good riddance, and other such juvenile nonsense are welcome to begin, thus confirming my reasoning.
Bye, all. Godspeed.
Sad goodbye ping. You guys are the greatest.
PING and sayonara to the CrEvo list.
I'm not versed on Opus...Do I have to read it?
My final HTT ping. Thanks for the laughs!
What a shame.
You're already missed.
Some additional haven't left, they're just not posting.
Noooooooooooooo, nonononononononono! :( Who's gonna run all the Godzilla pings?! Stay with us, LC! Everyone on here disagrees about something! It'd be too boring if we all just sat around and said, "You're right, I agree" all the time. It's still the best site on the web, bar nonoe!
Oh no! Long Cut! Don't go!
See ya around. Peace.
Opus skins are best served deep-fried dipped in cajun hot sauce.
The nasty of the '04 sign on's who
I suspect are from DU as threatened,
really need purging.
Yes, it is. Some of us just interpret it differently than you in some areas, apparently.
You picked a hell of a week to stop sniffing glue.
No. You can just scan it to see if you are mentioned. Then post a farewell or just something pithy.
Don't see this often.
In these past months, it has become plain to me that this position is NOT that of a majority of FReepers, nor of the management itself.
True enough, in that the vast majority of FReepers view themselves as being conservatives, rather than libertarians.
That being said, however: I, for one, am sorry to see you go. You seem a nice and reasonable fellow. The best of luck and life to you -- one FReeper to another -- wherever your road ultimately takes you. :)
STOMPZILLA PING! BigB, you've got the thread.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.