Skip to comments.Dog caught stealing
Posted on 04/02/2007 9:42:00 AM PDT by jdm
OSLO, Norway, April 2 -- The owner of a dog that was caught on tape sneaking into a Norwegian gas station to steal candy says his pooch is a repeat offender.
The 7-year-old bull terrier named Conan spent some time behind bars last week before his owner, Liss-Hege Jeremiassen, bailed him out, Aftenposten reported Monday, quoting a story in the Norwegian-language newspaper Adressavisen.
"He is incredibly fond of food in general and sweets in particular. He has run off a few times before and he always heads for food stores," Jeremiassen said. The dog apparently snuck out Wednesday night and headed to the nearby Statoil station where cameras caught him picking out his apparent favorite treat, a chocolate-covered rice crisp.
"When he was finished he let out this enormous burp," store employee Elisabeth Roel said. She said she tried to chase Conan out but the dog growled at her and so she called the police, who turned the job over to Falken security.
Chocolate usually is fatal to dogs, isn't it?
All my dog does is fart.
Depends how much they eat, I think.
Some decades ago I remember reading of a pet bird which used to steal paper money and then flew back home with the loot. [Forgot what kind of bird it was, maybe a parrot]. They traced it and threw the owner in a cooler.
Here's one for ya!
My black lab ate a whole five-pound german chocolate layer cake on my birthday. We didn't even get one piece out of it. We thought of the "chocolate kills dogs" thing and were actually not too concerned because we were so mad at her.
Depends what kind, and how much they eat.
We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?
The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.
The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.
Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.
So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
"Chocolate usually is fatal to dogs, isn't it?" Yes it is. However, this dog may have a cast iron stomach.
I once had a really smart pet duck that had a klepto problem like this. Quackers would slip away from me in the drug store and steal chapstick.
I remember this one time, the druggist caught my poor duck, grabbed it up by the neck and screamed, "Hey - how ya gonna pay for that?"
My duck said, "Qvaccccccck - just put it on my bill!"
Wow, that even looks like a colored Bull Terrier. Or at least some kind of bi-color pit-bull terrier.
Thanks for the info. I know we've all had this discussion before.
I still find it hard to believe my German Shepherd would get very ill from just <1/2 lb of dark chocolate (German chocolate).
But then, my dogs basically never had the opportunity to eat such at all, much less "alot". And they're expected to behave. Although, Tara LOVES chocolate and it is the *1* thing you CANNOT leave her alone with! With us, yes, but not alone. She can be totally trusted with anything else but that.
Perfect! Thanks for the laugh.
Also, what could be fatal to a 4 lb teacup would have no effect on a 90 lb rottweiler. An ounce of the purest, darkest chocolate could kill a Pommeranian, several ounces for a larger dog. I think it's one ounce for 20 lbs of dog, or so my vet told me.
I left my dog at a kennel for a week when we were out of town for a week a few years back. My dog was elderly and the kennel owner would just let her lounge aeound the office. My dog got into a whole bag of Hershey’s Kisses and ate them all, including the foil. Luckily it did no harm to her, but it gave us scare.
Dogs have no conception of “stealing.” They have evolved to simply take what they need to survive if they can get away with it. In Jack London’s “Call Of The Wild,” Buck would “slyly” grab a chunk of bacon out of the grub when nobody was looking.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.