Have any of the AT murder victims not been female? I think it is very dangerous for a woman to be on the trail alone. Another factor is that a hiker inside a sleeping bag in a small tent , esp. when actually asleep, is extremely vulnerable. It's almost like already being tied up inside a cage.
Have any of the AT murder victims not been female?
Yes. Three men. The murders:
- 1996 (Virginia)- Two women found in Shenandoah National Park with their throats slashed. They were camped off the trail, and had a golden retriever which was unharmed. The man convicted of killing them indicated he did so because he hated women and gays (the women were lesbians).
- 1990 (Pennsylvania)- A man and woman shot to death in a shelter as they slept. The killer was caught.
- 1988 (Pennsylvania) - Two women attacked by a man on the trail in Pennsylvania. He shot and killed one. Again, the killer was captured and indicated he did so because the women were lesbians.
- 1981 (Virginia) - Man and woman thru-hikers killed in cabin. Killer was caught.
- 1975 (Tennessee) - A woman hacked to death with a hatchet. Killer was caught.
- 1974 (Georgia) - Man killed in shelter.
posted on 01/06/2008 8:32:59 AM PST
(You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson