Skip to comments.Heath Ledger's Death Was Accidental Overdose
Posted on 02/06/2008 8:08:05 AM PST by Perdogg
Heath Ledger's death on Jan. 22 was due to an accidental mixture of prescription drugs, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner for the City of New York has concluded.
"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," said an announcement released Wednesday morning by office spokesperson Ellen Borakove.
Oxycodone is a pain medication, hydrocodone is a cough suppressant, diazepam is commonly called Valium, temazepam treats anxiety or sleeplessness, alprazolam is known as Xanax, and doxylamine is a sedating antihistamine.
(Excerpt) Read more at people.com ...
"I'm shocked! Just shocked!"
Wow, that's some potent stuff he was on. I imagine Heath was doing a bit of doctor shopping (or got them illegally) to get all those. Tragic what stardom does to many people.
by the combined effects of:
And that was just for BREAKFAST!
Yikes. That is a lot of meds he was taking. All of these could NOT have been perscribed by the same doctor, knowing the lethal combination.
How tragic for his baby girl. :^(
Ring my friend I said youd call Doctor Robert,
Day or night hell be there anytime at all,
Doctor Robert, youre a new and better man,
He helps you to understand,
He does evrything he can, Doctor Robert.
If you are down hell pick you up, Doctor Robert,
Take a drink from his special cup, Doctor Robert,
Doctor Robert, hes a man you must believe,
Helping evry one in need,
No-one can succeed like Doctor Robert...
The Beatles - Dr. Robert
If he had prescriptions for all of these and was not simply purchasing them on the street or getting them from a friend, then presumably a prescribing MD told him about interactions to be concerned about. It may have gone in one ear and out the other. It astonishes me to see the things that people who are competent actors and actresses can do on the screen (to the non-thespian, it seems difficult, would require some uncommon kind of intelligence) and then the incredibly stupid things they do (instant case) or say (e.g., Sean Penn). Anyhow, I think this one deserves an asterisk for stretching the bounds of the definition of “accidental” death.
Dont be so quick to assume “doctor shopping” From personal experience, I know these damn doctors treat the symptom and not the disease.
I admire Heath's body of work very much and he sounds like a cool down to earth guy, however I think the other tragedy is the protecting of how he died and what sort of behavior and outlook/rational led up to it as if it is sacrilege.
He may have been a brilliant actor, but not much on the common sense side. Any person whose mother of his child threatens that he can not see his beloved child when he is using drugs, that continues to whine about it as he continues to use drugs is a drug addict. No two ways around it.
Heath Ledger was a drug addict and paid for it with his life as many drug addicts and alcoholics do. That is the lesson here. The lesson is that you can and may very well die young if you continue to use drugs improperly no matter what your station in life.
My prayers go out to his daughter, the mother of his child and his family. They are the victims here. They had no control over what he put in his body and had no choice in it proceeding his death. I wish he could have taken the help offered to him earlier seriously.
Well said. I don’t doubt that it was an accident, but it appears that the man accidentally swallowed a pharmacy. No common sense.
If one doctor had him on all those, there should be some serious questions to answer.
I’m guessing that Mr. Ledger did not obtain all of those drugs through a doctor, and that at least some of them came to him via friends.
Sounds like a combo for someone that fell down an elevator shaft, off a high rise, or fell out the door on the interstate.
Ummm, hydrocodone is better known as "Vicodin" and is for a lot more than just coughs, while Oxycodone is Oxycontin (and in Percocet). Pretty powerful mix.
Prayers for the family. They are victims of drug addiction. There is no doctor to blame for this.
A couple were over-the-counter medications, not prescribed. Obviously he didn’t talk to a pharmacist about what he could take.
Did you hear the spin his family put on it?
“In a statement released through Ledger’s publicist, Ledger’s father, Kim, said Wednesday: “While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath’s accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.”
That’s like saying someone committed suicide from a lethal combination of a little bit of stabbing, a little bit of buckshot, a little bit of strangulation and a little bit of beating oneself over the head with a brick.
It’s amazing just how far some people can stick their heads up their butts.
Well that would explain the phone call to the skinny one I suppose. “Hey, how do I get rid of this stuff before the cops get here?”
WOW, that’s one heck of a medicine cabinet for treating a cold.
I usually take a couple of advils and grind it out.
Um, I’m pretty sure hydrocodone is a painkiller (it’s been prescribed to me as such). Anyways, I believe it could have been an accident - I had a friend who was on meds for ADHD, depression, OCD, and allergies when she hurt herself and the ER doctor prescribed her a prescription painkiller, and the painkiller made her loopy/tired enough that she accidentally mixed up two of the meds and almost died as a result (thankfully she’s OK now and off everything except the allergy meds). Plus, hydrocodone combined with anything that has a side effect of making you sleepy can screw with your mind in very weird ways.
And that's what happened here. The hydrocodone is used as a painkiller as well as a cough supressant. Temazepam is a hypnotic probably for the insomnia we heard about both before as well as after his death. Doxylamine is an antihistamine, which we all know makes you drowsy. Add the Xanax & this was a mess.
His head may have been so messed up he didn't realize what he was doing. A lack of sleep & the things prescribed for it can do strange things to your head. As much as it will disappoint some who love slamming "Hollyweird" celebrities it sounds like this was just a tragic accident.
If there were so damn many things wrong with him that he needed so many different drugs, maybe he should have been in a hospital or in a psych ward! Accidental overdose? C’mon, tell it like it actually is, for once!
Well said!! So very true!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.