Komodos don’t seem to get bacterial infections. Consequently, scientists are studying komodo dragons to hopefully find the new antibiotics.
And that's what's so amazing about these giant lizards. They're not venomous, but they might as well be. Their mouths are so saturated with bacteria that when they bite a deer or a goat, they simply let go and wait. In a matter of days, or even hours sometimes, the prey animal will die of gross bacterial infection of the wound.
The villagers are at risk too. Every TV show I've watched about Komodo dragons always shows a few villagers who managed to get bitten. They're invariably amputees now (but they're quite happy to only lose a limb, rather than their life).
Almost better to be bitten by a cobra.