Skip to comments.Death Magnetic -- Metallica Gives You Heavy!
Posted on 09/05/2008 8:12:02 PM PDT by Phantom Lord
Death Magnetic, the new Metallica album hitting stores next Friday, September 12th has been partially released by Metallica on their web site. 6 songs are available out of the 10. You can click here to listen to them.
I highly recommend "All Nightmare Long", "Cyanide", and "My Apocalypse" of the 6 available to be the first you listen to.
I however have heard the entire album. They held back some killers. Like the 1st track, "That Was Just Your Life". Killer and heavy.
The days of St. Anger are long gone.
So give a listen to those available, especially the ones recommended and let us know what you think.
I think it Death Magnetic will premiere at #1 across the planet and the coming tour will be sold out across the country.
I am really looking forward to seeing this new stuff live. I want to see them pull it off. A lot of it is like Dyers Eve. Just brutal fast and intricate. No wonder it took them near 18 years to play Dyers Eve live for the first time.
As I have told others today after hearing the entire album for the first time, I have one word for this album...
Listening to it now. I wish they would sh~t can Bob Rock, but this isn’t bad.
Cyanide’s my favorite of the six tracks posted.
I didn’t wait until it was available via bittorrent or limewire, I used Audacity to stream it to my hard drive (in stereo!) and then convert them to MP3’s.
Sounds awesome, thanks for the free Metallica music, Lars!
(Somehow I gotta think they’d know the capability to do what I did exists and that people would figure out how to stream the music from their site into a local audio file.)
Thanks for the heads up...
However, I must say that I am not too impressed with this go-around of Metallica. It sounds like they recorded it in someone’s living room (probably really did using Pro-Tools, something I purely hate as it has extreme latency and bizarre phasing induced by lack of processing power), mixed it with the snare mic loudest, and the fire is lacking.
Obviously, they are an incredible, legendary group, but something is amiss...Their music was never the type to lend itself to the band members growing older and wiser. It was visceral. Master of Puppets, Garage Days Re- and Re-Revisited, and Kill Em All stand as their premier masterpieces...
FRAN TIC TIC TOC
ill never have the 75 minutes of my life back from listening to st anger.
my expectations of the new album are low. the days of master of puppets and ride the lightning are long gone.
Give me fuel, give me fire, give me the MP3 I desire... F' Lars
Good. St. Anger sucked and blow'ed.
Speaking of metal... I was at the Masters of Metal show in Dallas a couple weeks ago... Testament, Motorhead, Heaven & Hell (R.J. Dio), and Judas Priest... Motorhead and Priest especially ROCKED!
I don’t care for All Nightmare Long (the single). But I will check out the rest. Thanks
1) Lars aweful snaredrum and the sterile production from St. Anger are there. No matter how heavier the songs are, it still sounds like it was recorded using a bunch of cheap gear in a Seattle grunge studio basement. Ok Metallica, its been close to 20 years you've been working with the same producer and the majority of it is forgettable. TRY A NEW PRODUCER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! Someone who isn't there going through the motions to collect a paycheck and do whatever you say James. Get Terry Date. Someone. Anyone, but Bob Rock!
2) Many of songs are giving me flashbacks of the band Overkill, especially the guitar playing and tone of Bobby Gustafson, one of the few musicians James respected and allowed into their dysfunctional inner circle. Its all over this album.
3) Challenge yourselves! Stop with the life coaches and counselors telling you what kind of music you should be making. This isn't Oprah or some lifetime channel movie.
4) The songs themselves are by far some of the best material they have put out in a long time, but the production ruins most of it.
5) Nice to hear that James unleashed Kirk to do some good solo and lead work again. It helped salvage this from being another St. Anger.
(6) Unforgiven III? Please, whoever needs to be forgiving for something they did to James, please work it out with him. No more ballads with piano and James singing like he's auditioning for american idol.
Are they the band with that song from the 80s, "Hello Yellow Butter"? They rock.
Yahh, it went a little something like that, just a couple different words.
That album that song came from “Under the Influence” was by far one of their weakest efforts.
I remember the video for that song was kind of bizarre. It was like Bobby Gustafson was doing a little tongue in cheek tribute to James with the white explorer.
I’d rank Overkill’s album “Taking Over” and especially “The years of decay” as easily some of the the best trash metal albums of all time. Albums’s like Peace sells by Megadeth, Bonded by blood - Exodus, Testement - Practice what you preach, Anthrax - Among the Living, Slayer - Reign in blood. And all the metallica albums from the 1980’s.
Don’t get me started..... ;) Ahhh...the memories.....
Rick Rubin produced
I think I saw Overkill in concert opening up for Motorhead in the late 80s. I can’t remember. Testament was great. Never got into Exodus. Megadeth’s first two albums were really good then they went downhill. Scott Ian and all his side projects (SOD, MOD, etc..) were way cool. Reign in Blood is still probably the hardest album ever... even though it was only about 10 minutes long.
...and oh yea, it should have been Ulrich under the bus.. F’ Lars.
99 problems but that’s great news :)
Almost all their stuff between The Black Album up to this one SUCKED. Saint Anger is the worst POS I've ever heard.
As long as the basics are good they can turn it into a killer when they do it live. Metallica in concert (except for that descent into idiocy with the orchestra) is Metallica at its best.
Saw Overkill open up for Motorhead and Slayer at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Overkill frankly sucked but when Lemmy’s ugly ass hit the stage all hell broke loose.... and did it ever, that pit was nasty.