Thank you for that bit of information. So, I can shoot birds, neighbors dogs running loose down the road, possum, snakes, neighbors kids crossing my yard and it's all legal huh? Good.
In some jurisdictions, yes, you can shoot loose dogs.
Why should cats be exempt?
OMG! You, like, totally, totally got it. You totally understood the exact and complete meaning of what I was saying.
Let’s examine your made-up list:
1) Birds - According to law, variable by State, some birds, yes, as long as you don’t violate any safety laws
2) Neighbors’ dogs running loose - Unless one is charging or attacking you, no, because neighbors’ dogs are not legally considered to be wild animals
3) Possum - Yes, again it varies by State, and you must not violate any safety laws
4) Snakes - Yes, same as possum in most States
5) Neighbors’ kids - This one might be your first clue that you failed to understand the point, and missed the humor attached to it. But just to be clear, are these neighbors’ kids making a lot of noise and stomping my flowers? I mean, I don’t want to make a snap judgment until I have all the relevant facts.
One modification: There are some varieties of snakes that are protected, so you can’t shoot those.
When are you planning to go hunting and what’s your weapon of choice?