OMG! You, like, totally, totally got it. You totally understood the exact and complete meaning of what I was saying.
Let’s examine your made-up list:
1) Birds - According to law, variable by State, some birds, yes, as long as you don’t violate any safety laws
2) Neighbors’ dogs running loose - Unless one is charging or attacking you, no, because neighbors’ dogs are not legally considered to be wild animals
3) Possum - Yes, again it varies by State, and you must not violate any safety laws
4) Snakes - Yes, same as possum in most States
5) Neighbors’ kids - This one might be your first clue that you failed to understand the point, and missed the humor attached to it. But just to be clear, are these neighbors’ kids making a lot of noise and stomping my flowers? I mean, I don’t want to make a snap judgment until I have all the relevant facts.
You totally missed my sarcasm and humor too. But—to conclude...what a bunch of BS. You just can’t pull out a gun and shoot any animal or bird or whatever in most towns/villages and cities. Maybe you can win your case if your life was in danger like with a killer dog. But if you shot a cat cuz it pooped on your lawn, I believe yer goin to jail for being cruel, heartless, reckless, illegally discharging a firearm and for being an ignorant redneck.