Skip to comments.Sobering news: coffee increases drunkenness
Posted on 12/09/2009 3:15:03 PM PST by george76
Drinking coffee does not sober you up and may actually further impair your judgement, new research suggests.
The combination of alcohol and caffeine produces a potentially lethal mix that just makes it harder to realise you are actually drunk in the first place.
And the study published in Behavioural Neuroscience suggests popular caffeinated energy drinks could also raise risks from intoxication rather than lessen them.
"The myth about coffee's sobering powers is particularly important to debunk because the co-use of caffeine and alcohol could actually lead to poor decisions with disastrous outcomes.
"People who have consumed only alcohol, who feel tired and intoxicated, may be more likely to acknowledge that they are drunk.
"Conversely, people who have consumed both alcohol and caffeine may feel awake and competent enough to handle potentially harmful situations, such as driving while intoxicated or placing themselves in dangerous social situations."
(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk ...
Only IF consumed as a combination with/after alcohol. Sheeesh. Judging by the title, you’d think Starbucks would have to apply for a liquor license.
Now my life makes sense.
My buddy used to say, “Never give coffee to a drunk, ‘cause all you end up with is a wide-awake drunk!”
Jack and Coke was the drink of choice to get you hammered and keep you partying all night long when I was a young hard charging Infantryman partying with the German Girls. Can’t tell you how many times the bars closed down at 2am only to have a wake up at 5 am and PT run at 6.
Ever run in formation with 100 hungover, still drunk, half staggering, beer farting, off key singing, drunk guys? I did it for 40 months in Bamberg Germany and believe me, you have not lived until you have had the pleasure.
...mmm...in the blender with French Vanilla ice cream— a great holiday drink!
and Cream....White Russian. Good stuff. Always said I drank it “for my health”.
LOL... Your liver post still kinda fit.
Never give HOT coffee to a drunk because it can spill causing a burn that can’t be explained the next day.
The Russian technique for staying sober while drinking a lot of vodka. (from The Russian Blog)
One hour before the party.
1. Eat a couple of boiled potatoes.
2. Drinks one or two raw eggs.
3. Drink one or two table-spoons of olive oil. Sunflower oil will also do.
Thus its guaranteed that at the Russian party you will stay sober for at least one bottle of vodka. Raw eggs are the most important part of Russian pre-party preparations.
At the party.
1. If you start drinking vodka drink only vodka. No beer or wine. No water or juice. Carbonated drinks are taboo.
2. Drink vodka only in shots. Never sip.
3. Eat immediately after taking a shot. Russian zakuskis are often translated as appetizers. Thats not quite correct. Zakuskis are something you zakusyvayesh with after taking a shot of vodka. They are very important to neutralize alcohol. Thats why they all contain two most important alcohol neutralizers acid and salt. The following sequence is recommended:
- immediately after taking a shot two slices of lemon;
- then some salted cucumbers, pickles, marinated tomatoes or caviar.
- then something with a lot of oil: herring (traditionally with cold boiled potatoes and onion), sardines, or shproty (small smoked sprats in olive oil);
- then traditional Russian salads, like Oliviye or Herring with boiled beet and mayonnaise. Almost all Russian salads come under heavy mayonnaise dressing. Remember acid, salt, eggs and oil. Ukrainians and Southern Russians prefer smoked lard with garlic but its a zakuska for professionals.
5. Zakuskis part of the party take about an hour or something like 200 grams (4 shots) of vodka. Then comes goryacheye (hot dishes). Even though zakuskis could be very filling you should eat goryacheye if you want not be become drunk.
6. Actively participate in intellectual talks around the table. Mental activity is probably the best method to keep you excited but sober. Try, for example, to drink two pints of beer while reading a philosophical book and see the result.
7. At the end of the party come tea and cakes. Dont miss it too. This way you show your hosts that youre survived the party without dire consequences.
Now in the course of 4 or 5 hours you drunk a bottle of vodka (500 grams) and youre only slightly tight.
After the party.
1. Keep a small bottle of beer in refrigerator. Wake up at about 5 in the morning, drink your beer and go back to bed. It prevents hang-over in the morning.
2. If the early morning beer didnt help (it usually does), drink a glass of brine from the jar you kept you pickles in.
Many Russians recommend taking a shot of vodka in the morning to fights hang-over. Dont do it. It helps only alcoholics. If youre not, it will make things worse.
They sure botched the title. The real title should be “Caffeine and alcohol...”.
I’m in agreement with the study. I don’t get as snoozy with Rum & Cokes.
I make my own Kahlua every Christmas only I make mine from 100 proof Smirnoff’s so it is a bit more potent.
Judgement impaired and awake enough to do something with it.
How do you make it, if you don’t mind sharing the recipe?
Here’s a recipe someone gave me- might be a different one though. I haven’t had a chance to try it. It seems a bit “frugal” with the vanilla and chocolate to me :
Seeds from 1/4 of a vanilla bean
A 1/5 of vodka
2 C water
1/3 C instant coffee
2 t grated chocolate [not cocoa powder]
1 C white corn syrup
2 C sugar
Add vanilla bean and scraped out seeds to vodka, allow it to stand at least 24 hrs before removing the bean.
Brew 2 C water and instant coffee 3 minutes until good and hot
Add chocolate, corn syrup and sugar and stir well.
When cool, stir into vodka.
Interesting. I wondered what was in that. Thanks!
Here is my recipe it has been handed down a few generations and tastes exactly like the real thing. I keep an empty bottle on hand and just refill it.
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2c instant coffee (not crystal type)
heat until sugar melts and mix is smooth
allow to cool to room temp
makes about 1 quart recipe can be doubled and remember the higher the proof of vodka the better I like to use 100 proof Smirnoff’s but any brand will do. May be doubled or trippled.Enjoy!
Real Khalua doesn’t have chocolate in it only coffee. Please try the recipe I posted first and see what you think. Mine has been enjoyed for many years and I know it is a winner! :)
Thank you for the recipe!
“Ever run in formation with 100 hungover, still drunk, half staggering, beer farting, off key singing, drunk guys?”
Not a hundred, but 49 for sure in our flight. The looks on the faces of those people on the morning after the night before was priceless. We took bets on who would drop out and puke first. Running down the deserted runway at first light with weird sounds and groans...ah yes!
You are welcome and have an especially “merry” season. ;)
Since coffee doesn’t affect your drunkedness, why not try a shot of bourbon, maybe that will help..
My father use to say the same thing....also said if you sent a fool to college, all you get is an educated fool...We have all met them from time to time...most teach in universities.
My husband loved Kahlua and had a receipe to make his own...just as good as the best you could buy...You had to make sure your vanilla beans were really fresh...
My dad use to put raw eggs in his beer...sure looked yucky. I cannot stand beer to this day...never could figure out its popularity. Now great Bourbon, thats another story......
does not sober you up -- and may actually further impair your judgementThanks george76. This was old news during the first season of the Drew Carey show. ;')
That does look good.
Oh yes if you want to make your own vanilla it takes about 3 months. You need 4-5 fresh vanilla beans and a quart bottle of vodka or burbon. Open it drop the beans in and put it in a dark place and wait.
(Translated: thanks, bookmarked for later.)
i m drnuk noW an justhadcofee andim fine.
Interesting. My family is Russian/Ukrainian and I’ve never heard this.
I even remember drinking myself sober in those hazy days....
What you really want to do is drink water...liquor suck the water from your brain...
What you really want to do is drink water...liquor sucks the water from your brain...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.