Skip to comments.Listen today: On Dangerous Ground: A Tribute to Bernard Herrmann
Posted on 01/03/2010 10:11:03 AM PST by EveningStar
Sunday, January 3rd at 2 PM Pacific / 3 PM Mountain / 4 PM Central / 5 PM Eastern, Classical KUSC presents a rebroadcast of On Dangerous Ground: A Tribute to Bernard Herrmann. This two-hour sound portrait of one of cinemas greatest composers will be hosted by Jon Burlingame, author, USC professor, and a writer on film music for Variety. The program includes rarely heard interviews with Herrmann himself, and excerpts from his concert music as well as dozens of his great film scores, from Citizen Kane to Taxi Driver. Herrmanns legendary partnership with Alfred Hitchcock will be showcased with excerpts from his compelling scores for Vertigo, Psycho, North by Northwest, The Trouble with Harry, and one score that Hitchcock rejected: well hear Bernard Herrmanns unused music for Torn Curtain.
Click the link to listen.
Bernard Herrmann also wrote an opera, “Wuthering Heights”, that has not often (if ever) been performed.
One aria from Herrmann’s opera, “I Have Dreamt” appears on Renee Fleming’s album “I Want Magic”. This aria is gorgeous, and sung extremely well by Ms. Fleming.
One can only dream that Ms. Fleming would someday star in a production of “Wuthering Heights” at the Met, or with some other worthy opera company.
Thanks for the ping!
Classical Music Ping List ping!
If you want on or off this list, let me know via FR e-mail.
This is a rebroadcast. I heard the initial broadcast. I think the opera is mentioned.
Thanks, I’ll check it out!
There is also “Souvenir de Voyages”, a quintet for clarinet and strings.
1. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
2. "Twilight Zone: Walking Distance" - William Stromberg, Moscow Symphony Orchestra
3. "Currier & Ives Suite" - James Sedares, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
4. "Citizen Kane" opening - Charles Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra
5. "City of Brass" from Columbia Workshop, CBS Radio, 1937, acetate from live broadcast
6. overture from "Welles Raises Kane" - Herrmann, London Philharmonic Orchestra
7. aria from "Salaambo," finale from "Citizen Kane" - Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra, Kiri Te Kanawa, soprano
8. "Devil & Daniel Webster" - Herrmann, London Philharmonic Orchestra
9. concerto from "Hangover Square" - Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra; Joachin Achucarro, pianist
10. "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" - Elmer Bernstein, London ensemble
11. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - original soundtrack, Alfred Newman, conductor
12. "On Dangerous Ground" - Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra
13. "The Trouble With Harry" - Joel McNeely, Royal Scottish National Orchestra
14. "Vertigo" - McNeely, Royal Scottish National Orchestra
15. "North by Northwest" - Herrmann, London Philharmonic Orchestra
16. "Psycho" - Esa-Pekka Salonen, Los Angeles Philharmonic
17. "A Christmas Carol" - Roger Wagner Chorale, TV soundtrack
18. "The Twilight Zone" theme - Joel McNeely, London ensemble
19. "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
20. "The Three Worlds of Gulliver" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
21. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
22. "Mysterious Island" - William Stromberg, Moscow Symphony Orchestra
23. Symphony, 2nd movement - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
24. "Wuthering Heights" - Herrmann, Pro Arte Orchestra of London
25. "Fahrenheit 451" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
26. "Obsession" - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
27. "Taxi Driver" - original soundtrack, Jack Hayes, conductor
28. Symphony, 3rd movement - Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
29. "Memory Waltz" from "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" - Herrmann, Los Angeles Philharmonic
A couple clips from the score were just played. :)
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.