Skip to comments.Edwardsville man injured in fireworks explosion (while sharpening ax)
Posted on 07/21/2010 12:07:03 PM PDT by Born Conservative
A small explosion left a 34-year-old man with shrapnel wounds Tuesday evening after sparks from a metal sharpener ignited a firework resting on his work bench in Edwardsville.
Around 8:15 p.m., Michael Richards was sharpening an ax in the basement of his home, located at 30 Arch St., when the wall-rattling explosion occurred, leaving him with a gun-shot sized wound on his upper-left chest and the front of his torso strafed with cuts, neighbors and borough firefighters said.
"We're still trying to figure out what exactly happened," Edwardsville Fire Chief Ray King said. "All we know is that he took the brunt of it."
At the time, his wife, Kelly Richards, was on the front porch with her four children, ages 1 to 15, said Jordan Donovan, 14, her son. The only sight they saw was Michael Richards running upstairs screaming in pain and rushing to the bathroom to rub blood off his chest, Donovan said.
"I really don't know what happened," he said. "We were all just waiting and heard this loud bang and breaking glass."
Neighbor Patricia Monka, whose home shares a common wall, said they felt their house buckle while she was chatting on the phone with her son. Her husband, David Monka, called 911 and saw Richards in front of their house without a shirt on bleeding, she said.
"He was saying that'd he been sharpening his ax and sparks set off a firework," David Monka said.
Besides several blown out basement windows, no other damage was visible to Richards' house or neighboring properties, King said. He said it was unknown whether the firework responsible for the explosion was illegal.
Richards was taken to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center for treatment where was listed in fair condition. He was responsive and conscious when paramedics loaded him into the ambulance.
Folks, all sorts of weird things happen in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Its a scary place.
Uh, no. Try again.
methinks he was attempting to perhaps disassemble some munitions and set it off.
AS fas as his story goes ... “that dog won’t hunt!”
Neighbor Patricia Monka, whose home shares a common wall, said they felt their house buckle ....
Firework my @$$.
I suppose the injuries weren’t serious enough to qualify this person for the annual Darwin Award?
Is that Cosmo Cramer from Seinfeld?
One involved a couple of sailors that took an oxygen bottle from storage. Thought it would be fun to toss on their firepit in the backyard. Both ended up in the ER. Couldn't have been TOO serious as their female roommate said something to the effect of “being a couple of dumb boys”.
The other was two race-car mechanics sat on top of a cylinder or drum of methanol (?) and lit it off. Expecting it to take them on a fast ride through the work yard. Probably expecting something like what happens in a Wily Coyote cartoon. Instead it just went “BOOM” (like what the coyote actually has happen!). Both in the ER. I think they were more seriously hurt.
Lesson here: don’t try to make your own dynamite unless you know what you’re doing.
Thought it would be fun to toss an oxygen bottle on their firepit?? WTF, they might as well just play Russian roulette.
//two race-car mechanics sat on top of a cylinder or drum of methanol (?) and lit it off//
Did they get their legs blown off?
Man that is efd up! Cant help but laugh tho LMAO!
Harborview Medical Center confirms that Tyson Perez died Thursday morning.
Perez and Travis Rilat, 33, were both badly burned after they apparently put about four gallons of methanol in a 55-gallon barrel in the parking lot Sunday night, sat on top and lit it on fire for a “barrel ride.”
The wording makes it sound like a “barrel ride” is a known activity? Sounds pretty dangerous no matter how you would go about it. Later in the article it said part of the drum was found 120 feet away. I’m sure glad I never died from all the dumb stuff I did. Although I was 13 and not 33 at the time.
//Im sure glad I never died from all the dumb stuff I did. Although I was 13//
Hey there was a period where I did not know if I would see 30..
That reminds me of my tree climbing phase at that 13 in Michigan. I was going higher and higher in what may have been maple trees. Anyway I got up to well over 45’ up into the boughs of the trees, and one day I came all the way down right thru the top of a rotten old storage shed. I dont remember climbing anymore trees after that.
Tragic, sad waste of life is all I can say right now.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.