Skip to comments.Pit Bull alerts family in Hammonton to house fire, but dies in blaze
Posted on 08/05/2010 11:39:52 AM PDT by solosmoke
A young pit bull woke up its owners to warn them of a fire in their Pleasant Mills Road home early Saturday, but the dog itself died in the fire, which destroyed much of the ranch house, police say.
Nine people who had been sleeping in the home shortly before 4:30 a.m. all got out unhurt, Hammonton Police Detective John Panarello said.
The people we spoke to said the dog was barking, Panarello said. They went back to see why, and saw that the house was pretty much engulfed in flames.Property records list the owner of the house as Mary DeMarco, but the detective said the occupants are renting the home. A Miguel Rodriguez is the head of the household and the nine survivors included children and adults. Panarello said that friends of the Rodriguez family were apparently visiting with their children.
(Excerpt) Read more at pressofatlanticcity.com ...
I love happy endings.
Just gonna’ say what a nice Pit Bull.
Unless I'm wmistaken, I believe most city codes would require a smoke detector inside every bedroom - and this should have been checked by a city inspector prior to habitation or renting the room.
It's more likely they were too poor to buy a 9V battery for the detector; but had plenty of money for Budweiser and dog food.
Impossible. Pits are evil and serve one purpose, to kill innocent children and animals. That comment was asinine, I know. But there are some at FR who actually believe that.
So the dog woke the people up and they got out but didn’t bother to see if the dog was with them? What did they do, close the door behind them?
So the dog woke the people up and they got out but didnt bother to see if the dog was with them? What did they do, close the door behind them?
I was wondering about that, as well. Odd.
yeah the pit bull saved 9 people but got left inside
“So the dog woke the people up and they got out but didnt bother to see if the dog was with them? What did they do, close the door behind them?”<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I know! I have run back into a burning building for cats, who wouldn’t care to alert anyone about anything except an empty food bowl...unfortunately, in a panic, with that many people to account for, I can see how the dog might not be the first priority, but I agree. It is a tragedy.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.