Skip to comments.Exclusive: WW2 Britain Blew Up Jewish Refugee Ships
Posted on 09/20/2010 2:29:24 PM PDT by Berlin_Freeper
A new book uncovers shocking secret attacks launched on ships bearing Holocaust survivors en route to Israel. Andrew Roberts on the violent lengths to which post-war Britain went to appease oil-rich Arab states.
As Jewish survivors of the Holocaust, the pitiful remnants of Historys greatest crime, tried to make their way across an often hostile Europe at the end of the Second World War, toward at least a semblance of safety in the Holy Land, they had no shortage of problems with which to contend, including disease and malnutrition, Polish anti-Semitism, Soviet indifference, Allied bureaucracy, and Arab nationalism. Now we discover that they faced yet another peril in the shape of bombs planted on their transport ships by Britains Secret Intelligence Service, better known as MI6.
A new book to be published next week entitled MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service 1909-1949, by the distinguished British historian Keith Jeffery, reveals the existence of Operation Embarrass, a plan to try to prevent Jews getting into Palestine in 1946-'48 using disinformation and propaganda but also explosive devices placed on ships. Nor is this some speculative spy story that can be denied by the authorities: Dr. Jeffreys book is actually, in their own words: Published with the permission of The Secret Intelligence Service and the Controller of Her Majestys Stationery Office.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
I am sadly unsurprised. I hope this turns out to be false.
You never see reported the Arab/Nazi connection. More Muslim history to avoid teaching.
This is BS. I first ran across rumors like this some time back when I first began digging up primary evidence for my Masters. There is NO PROOF British Intelligence blew up refugee ships. The idea is absurd.
Now, they DID interfere with Jewish immigration into Palestine, mostly to protect oil industry properties in the Middle East. The Palestinians were busy selling land to refugees (no, the refugees did not take the future Israel by force), and this was freaking out other Arab centers of power, which were tending Nazi, anyway. To avoid more rebellions than the Nazis were already stirring up, the English schemed to limit Jewish immigration into the Middle East.
But blow up ships? No way.
“...on the violent lengths to which post-war Britain went to appease oil-rich Arab states.”
Don’t only blame Britain — what the hell are Muslims doing in the West if it wasn’t for their oil? Especially when the history of the West is rife with examples of violent conflict between it and Islam.
The two will NEVER be able to co-exist. The sooner we realize it, the better.
It sounds like BS to me too.
Coincidence that Britain has fallen apart since then? I think not. Another tragedy of Churchill being voted out after the war.
Comments have been closed for this article
A close reading of the book will probably yield weasel words like “rumored” or “possibly.”
To some of us, this is not news. Flail as you will.
* While in Jerusalem, [Gruber] learned that a former American pleasure boat, renamed the Exodus 1947, had attempted to deliver 4,500 Jewish refugees including 600 children, mostly orphans but was attacked by five British destroyers and a cruiser. Gruber left immediately for Haifa and witnessed the Exodus entering the harbor, looking, as Gruber wrote, "like a matchbox splintered by a nutcracker."
* During the "battle," the British rammed the Exodus and stormed it with guns, tear gas and truncheons. Gruber noted that the crew, mostly Jews from America and Palestine, fought back with potatoes, sticks and cans of kosher meat. The Exoduss second officer, Bill Bernstein of San Francisco, was clubbed to death trying to prevent a British soldier from entering the wheelhouse. Two orphans were killed, one shot in the face point blank after he tossed an orange at a soldier.
* When she learned that the prisoners from the Exodus were being transferred to Cyprus, she flew there overnight. While she waited for the Exodus detainees, she photographed earlier Jewish prisoners living behind barbed wire in steaming hot tents with almost no water or sanitary facilities. "You had to smell Cyprus to believe it," she cabled the New York Herald.
* The British changed plans and sent the Exodus prisoners to Port de Bouc in southern France, where they had first embarked. Gruber rushed there from Cyprus. When the prison ships arrived, the prisoners refused to disembark. After 18 days in which the refugees endured the blistering heat, the British decided to ship the Jews back to Germany. World press reaction reflected outrage. While hundreds of journalists descended on Port de Bouc, only Gruber was allowed by the British to accompany the DPs back to Germany.
* Aboard the prison ship Runnymeade Park, Gruber photographed the refugees defiantly raising a Union Jack on which they had painted a swastika. Her photo became Life Magazines "Picture of the Week." Crushed together on the sweltering ship, making their way back to Germany, the refugees sang "Hatikvah," the Hebrew song of hope, soon to become Israel's National Anthem.
Given Britain’s methodology during the Boer wars, there realy isn’t anything here out of character.
There is still no proof, Harald. Nada. They pay me to unearth primary documentation. Check out my bio.
/a bio, hopefully, with an added “on tenure track” by the end of the year!
So once you get your tenure you will become untouchable and you can say anything you want without consequences?
If youd like to be on or off, please FR mail me.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.