I'm guessing that being a "Tech Writer" his machine is junked up with early release software he's played with, and that's creating problems.
Considering AdBlock Plus and Flash Block, there's really no reason to use any other browser.
That's been my experience as well with Firefox since the days of Firebird.
Thanks for your input.
I have more for you in a moment. But I am on 4 and it is slick IMHO.
I will do anything to stay away from anything Google given their relationship with "The One". No Crome, no-GMail, but I still looking for a better search engine, maybe Screwgle (spelled correct?) just to piss Google off.
* BetterPrivacy ( a must, "LSO's" are bad)
* Cooliris ( ah so so...)
* FasterFox Lite ( makes it faster)
* Ghostery (a must, stop them tracking for marketing purposes)
* NoScript (again like Ghostery, a must )
* PDF dowload (neat)
* Startup.Service 0.2 ( opens Firefox Faster)
* Vacuum Places ( cleans up sqlite files, increase speed )
* Tweak Network (maybe redundant w/ FasterFox, but try it...)
* Morning Coffee ( for your regular surfs, I have it off @ the moment, it's ok...)
With those and Better Privacy I haven't had a serious infection in over a year on my XP or Vista systems. For me it just works.