If only I could. We haven’t had any rain in who knows how long. The lawn is bone dry but I’ve been keeping the garden green. Hate to think what it’s going to be like in July and August. Trying to live without the A/C as much as possible just to keep down the bill but when sweat drips onto the keyboard it’s time to turn it on.
Don't need 'em just yet, but soon...
Here is a recipe we tried this week and we thought it was very good. We served it with hash browned potatoes and fresh fruit.
Real Eggs Benedict is about the same amount of work and you can have runny centers on your eggs that way, which the casserole does not allow. The casserole is still a good alternative, since you make up the casserole in advance. When you are ready to eat all you have to do is throw the casserole in the oven to cook and make the hollandaise sauce before serving.
Eggs Benedict Casserole
· 3/4 pound Canadian bacon, chopped
· 6 English muffins, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
· 8 eggs
· 2 cups 2% milk
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1/4 teaspoon paprika
· 4 egg yolks
· 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
· 1/2 cup butter, melted
· Place half of the bacon in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with English muffins and remaining bacon. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
· Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
· In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk the egg yolks, cream, lemon juice and mustard until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (1-2/3 cups sauce).
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece with about 2 tablespoons sauce equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 256 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.