Skip to comments.Who funds the electronic frontier foundation?
Posted on 05/31/2011 12:49:35 PM PDT by Halfmanhalfamazing
The above link goes to their most recent annual report, 2008/2009. In it is a rundown of their funding.
Their biggest funding sources are this, in this order:
1: Foundation grants 2: Membership income 3: Individual Major Contributions
The foundations are by far the easiest to track. As you look through the list of foundations on page two, most of you will immediately notice that the Open Society Institute is on that list, and most of you know that that's George Soros. As I've catalogged elsewhere, he gave them 300 large in one year. Unlisted on eff.org but accessible via soros.org is another 100k in 2007.
2) The second foundation that stands out in my mind is the John D and Catherine MacArthur Foundation. As I noted here, Macfound gives money to La Raza. They also give money to planned parenthood. Outside of the EFF, La Raza, and other groups you're familiar with, Macfound is a group in/of themselves that you should get to know. They're disgusting.
From there, let's just go down the list.
3) EFF lists the Herb Block Foundation as a funder. But through searching, I didn't find much.
4) The David Bohnett Foundation. One of their big issues is Gun Control.
Note their grant recipients. The Brady Center. Media Matters. And the Violence Policy Center. This gem from the VPC is enough to make any freepers' blood boil.
Another of the Bohnett foundations' big issues is LGBT issues. I'll let others dig into this one, but one final thought:
The executive director's page states this:
He works hand-in-hand with Mr. Bohnett to promote the Foundations goal of improving society through social justice and civic activism.
5) The California Consumer Protection Foundation. As a local effort they are much harder to track, though it's easy to find them involved with multiple social justice efforts here and here. Both are internet related, but we all know that social justice is bad, bad news.
6) The Mitchell Kapor Foundation. Would you like to read their dedicated page to social justice page? No? How about how they donate to the Tides Foundation? That's Soros.
7) The David L Klein Jr Foundation. A big environmental justice donor. They are easy to find once you know the right term to search for.
8) The Parker Family Foundation. Couldn't find anything on them. 9) The William A Runnels Charitable Trust, couldn't find anything on them either.
10) The Stephen M. Silberstein Foundation gives to media matters via the tides foundation They also gave money to the Apollo alliance. Silberstein himself is a member of a group who's goal is to dump the electoral college and donated to the joint victory campaign, so that tells you where his foundation is going.
Good to note the nature of their finances, but they are one of the few strong voices out there that effectively push back against big media and big governments encroachment on the internet. They are over reactive on patriot act issues, but in general they do more good than harm. Are there specific issues that you think they are really bad on?
A lot of liberals will defend electronic privacy to the death but then they go ahead and vote for liberal politicians who want nothing more than to be able to invade your privacy.
In the 90s, Gore and Biden would have limited electronic privacy to the point that e-commerce would never have been able to be secure. They were fought by Gates and the rest of the computer/software/silicon valley crowd. Then they go ahead and promote the next socialist.
—————Are there specific issues that you think they are really bad on?—————
——————But I’ve read the FCC neutrality rules, and it doesn’t look bad, and certainly nothing like a marxist revolution.-———————
That’s because they aren’t done yet. They are hiding things.
Net neutrality is very much like obamacare in that they’re doing things in steps. Progressives always do things in steps.
At this point, obamacare really isn’t even obamacare yet. It won’t be obamacare until 2014. But by that time it will be too late.
Do you think Mitch Kapor was always a social justice guy?
Or do you think he changed at some point?
He's also on the board of the Mozilla Foundation. I guess I should stop using Firefox. Golden Eagle was right, Firefox is communist! You just proved it!
It’s a simple question.
Do you think he was always a social justice guy, or do you think he changed at some point?
fair enough - the devil is in the details!
Have you stopped beating your wife?
It’s a simple question.
Only problem is, you asked me a loaded question.
He only sits on the board of his own foundation.
Are you taking the position that his foundation has a different form than his own beliefs?
Yeah, sure. EFF does some good things. Part of what has me look into these things is that far too many people - and even freepers - look the other way when there’s both smoke and fire.
Something else that bothers me is far too many people don’t realize that progressives have a whole different definition of the word ‘freedom’ than we do.
When they say ‘freedom’, what they mean is setting dictators free. Setting statists free. Government is far too free of the constitution as it is without giving them even more freedom.
You’re right, conservatives haven’t been in this fight. Perhaps if more conservatives realize just how many of these organizations are leftist in nature, that will change.
He sits on a lot of boards.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.