Skip to comments.Cute But Deadly: The Top 5 Most Notorious Pet Arsonists
Posted on 07/09/2011 1:26:39 PM PDT by nickcarraway
Almost 1,000 cases of pet arson are reported every year, according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency). Two years ago, The American Kennel Club decided to take action against these pyromaniac pets by launching National Pet Fire Safety Day (July 15) to warn unsuspecting owners of the potential danger. Here are the top 5 most notorious pet arsonists and the crimes that made them famous.
5. Lucy the dog denied cake; sets blaze Just this February, Lucy nearly burned down her owners Jacksonville, Okla., house when she tried to eat a cake sitting on the stove. Lucys big paws turned on the gas burner, setting the kitchen on fire.
4. Pyro cat waits for owner to fall asleep to burn down house Also in February, a Lake Worth, Fla., familys pet cat, Stewie, waited until his owners were asleep and then knocked over a candle to start a raging house fire, leaving them homeless. See the YouTube video covering the story.
3. Rats flaming leash causes $30,000 in damage In October 2008, a Florida teen tried to make a leash out of twine for their frisky pet rat, Amelia Earhart. Instead of using scissors to cut the twine, he used a lighter to burn it. A freaked out Amelia took off through the garage trailing the flaming leash behind her. The resulting inferno caused nearly $30,000 in damage.
2. Gang of squirrels wanted for arson In January 2009, a gang of hungry squirrels chewed through electrical cables in the Kent cottage of a former UK attorney general. The munching rodents set off an inferno that blazed through the property for hours.
1. Fish watch as apartment goes up in flames Last May, comedian Tracy Morgans (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) apartment caught fire, reportedly caused by a faulty aquarium light. Although the fish arent officially to blame for this one, they still watched it happen with cold, emotionless little fish eyes.
Do you suspect your pet of hidden pyro tendencies? Beat it at its own game. See the image gallery for tips on how to protect your home from pet arsonists.
Since there is no Jacksonville, OK - the whole story is suspect...red
We iz watching you, gettng ready to burnz yr hous down.
“Since there is no Jacksonville, OK - the whole story is suspect...red”
The stories you are about to read are true, and all the names were changed to protect the innocent.
“America’s Most Petted?”
I see a new reality show in the making.
Ok that line about the emotionless litle fish eyes cracked me right up!
Well, they were Tracy Morgan's fish. Listening to his comedy every day would do that to anyone.
What about Mrs. O’Leary’s cow?
Don’t forget the the most evil fish of all: Osama fin Laden.
“Osama fin Laden”
LOL. Not only does he sleep with the fishes, he *is* one!
I got a chuckle out of the fish eyes line too.
Oh dang. You so owe me a keyboard! (Thanks!)
#3. Definitely human error so don’t blame the rat.
#2. My experience with squirrels: one of the took up residence in my van and caused lots of destruction. i.e. chewed through the air bags and caused the vehicle to fail inspection. The cost to replace the entire air bag system would have been much more than the vehicle was worth (1993 Dodge Caravan, 157K plus miles). Vehicle was sold to salvage yard (:
Have to give credit to the cow for that one.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.