Skip to comments.FORD VS MICROSOFT VS COMPUTERS
Posted on 08/16/2011 11:35:14 PM PDT by Mier
For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, 'If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.'
In response to Bill Gates's comments, Ford issued a press release, stating: 'If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash......... twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning light.
(I love the next one!!!) 7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as in the old car.
10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off.
11. If you had to call On-Star you would be instructed in some foreign language how to fix your car yourself!!!!
12. If you multi-task while driving by turning on your radio, temperature control, lights, toot the horn etc., your car will drastically slow down or come to a screaching halt with each task!
So there Bill, put that in your hard drive and smoke it!
If Ford developed the car like Microsoft, Ford would never have developed a car in the first place, they would have bought out the rights to the ENGINE and CAR from a small company that didn’t have mom’s connections at IBM. And then copied some technology from a competitor to improve the car by putting WINDOWS in it.
Love it - made my day! Doesn’t Bill Gates know Obama considers the manufacturing of automobiles his area of specialization?
Yeah, the cost of computer *hardware* has dropped dramatically and performace has skyrocketed. But thanks largely to Microsoft (and the people who think they need their products), the same cannot be said for *software*. And were it not for Linux and free software in general, you can bet that software would be one hell of a lot more expensive than it is. Who does Bill think he’s fooling?
This is an old joke that goes at least as far back as the early 1980’s (and it predates Bill Gates’ rise to fame). The other classic response to the “if the car industry had kept up with the computer industry” rant was:
“Yeah, and the car would have shrunken to the size of a matchbox car...literally.”
Your fries are in the same place as the original post.
I HATE people that do this shit. NO I do truly hate them. Dunno if you can EVER recover from this...
and fact is, the original point is true.
but the fault is not Ford’s.
it is the unions, and the government.
how about a list of
“if the unions and government did to computers,
what they’ve done to cars...” ?
(also in fairness to software, it tries to idiot proof.
computers don’t weed out the very young and illiterate,
with a “operator’s license”.)
Ford's "Sirius" GPS / Information / Entertainment System is MS based
I can't see Gates being that stupid and pissing in Ford's face, then again he has been doing that to us for years....
Kids in school are learning the concept of Oxmorons, one example they use ; Microsoft Works...
I think I still have this on my Commodore 64
Sounds a lot like the failed American Motors model.
Software is exponentially more expensive every year, and some programs (Adobe) approach the ridiculous.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.