Skip to comments.Green Tea With a Hint of Panda Manure
Posted on 09/09/2011 4:11:21 PM PDT by nickcarraway
A university teacher has plans to grow green tea using panda manure as fertilizer and sell it at sky-high prices, the West China City Daily reported.
An Yanshi, a teacher at southwest China's Sichuan University, learned during a conference that pandas only absorb 30 percent of what they eat, leaving 70 percent of the nutrition in their manure. He then secured a patent to grow tea leaves with panda dung.
He expects to sell the tea for 219,865 yuan ($34,422) for half of a kilogram. An's version will be priced 10 times higher than the most expensive tea on the market now.
An said he thinks panda manure is healthier than ordinary fertilizer. However, whether the tea grown with panda manure will be better for people remains in question, said Tang Chuanxiang, a senior engineer of China Conservation and Research Centre for the Giant Panda.
Tang said many companies use the panda to market their items, since the giant animal is China's national treasure
Human and animal weirdness.
Reptiles have very inefficient digestive systems so much of the original input remains intact. Would serve the purpose even better than panda at less cost.
Personally, I use a concoction of avian and ungulate manures, rough compost and discretion. Provides all the necessary nutrients, lightens the soil, enhances water retention and is sustainable (30 years so far).
“...secured a patent to grow tea leaves with panda dung.”
If any or all of the hundreds of millions of enterprising young folk in China are now either required or allowed to patent the process of using poop to feed plants, then I’m not too worried that they will out-compete us any time soon.
Folks use composted cow manure all the time for their gardens. How is this any different?
In China, the manure ends up IN the tea.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.