Skip to comments.Anybody in here know anything about venting gas stoves?
Posted on 10/09/2011 7:00:44 AM PDT by OKSooner
Almost a disaster in progress going on at my house. Bought a new gas stove to replace the electric one. It sits next to an interior wall, and to make a long story short...
The previous owner framed up a big sheetrock edifice thing to accomodate the microwave oven / vent hood over the electric stove. Getting a look at the underside of it with the microwave gone, I can see that the only way to vent it out thru the roof is to (maybe) run it out thru the same flue that services the gas water heater downstairs. There's one of those pie-plate looking covers on the flue inside the "edifice", facing towards the stove. That is, IF a human being can figure out a way to get their hands up in there and assemble and fit a flue.
Any qualified input would be appreciated.
Maybe you should call a plumber since they install gas stoves. Might be the best service call you ever bought.
Hire someone that knows what they are doing. I do most every DIY project at my house but I NEVER mess with anything related to gas.
Psst: buy a CO2 detector. Just sayin’, ya know.
Certainly not an expert, but I didn’t think gas ranges require venting if they are used for cooking. What do the instructions say?
It would probably be quite a stretch to call me “qualified input”, but in my experience gas stoves are generally not vented.
Most houses leak enough air that there’s no need to vent.
Back when I did have a gas stove, in the winter I used to light a burner or two and just let them run for a few hours for 100% efficient heat (no losses up the chimney).
If gas stoves (LP in my case) need to be vented, my builder really screwed up.
Another (this one serious): No requirement under the IRC. FYI, ANSI Stds. allow up to 800ppm carbon monoxide from ranges. And you just thought it was the tryptophan in the turkey making you sleepy.
As previously stated, "when installed and operating properly"..... Tell me when you find that. These things have a horrible track record for CO production.
Failure to ventilate the kitchen can lead to what appears to be black soot all over the house. I'm gotten lab reports back that the black stuff is charred food particles stuck to soybean cooking oil. All because of no ventilation.
If they ventilate, then it should comply with ASHRAE 62.2 for MUA. Whoever sucks air out of a home is responsible for providing MUA to replace it. Otherwise, uncompensated exhaust fans can depressurize the home and backdraft atmospherically vented appliances. These fans don't always capture all the aerosolized byproducts of cooking but they are pretty good at backdrafting open fireplaces.
Natural gas ranges generally are not vented like a gas hot water heater or furnace that will have a “B” vent going up through the roof. Just don’t leave the burners on a long time like to heat the house. The vent above the range is for exhausting smoke. If the house is really small or really tight, crack a window open. Check with the manufacture of the gas range to be sure or call your local HVAC shop.
You actually meant "Buy a carbon monoxide (CO) detector", right?
This reminds me of the parachutist whose chute would not open, and he sees this guy coming up at him and yells,”do you know anything about parachutes”? The guy coming up says “no, do you know anyhing about gas stoves”.
I'm pretty sure you'd get "charred food particles stuck to soybean cooking oil" from electric stoves, too.
No vent needed. BTW I’m a licensed electrician. Your electric stove didn’t have one either.
I’d call the Gas Company myself...
Replacing the 220v outlet for the old electric stove is your only issue.
It doesn’t need vented. As another poster said, houses aren’t airtight enough to allow the stove to consume the oxygen in the house.
If you’re concerned, get a carbon monoxide detector. If the stove starts depleting the oxygen levels in the house, the stove will begin to burn inefficiently and create carbon monoxide and trip the alarm long before you reach a dangerous condition.
If you’re STILL concerned about it, just crack a window when you cook.
Just so you know, my mother and grandmother both used gas cooktops for many, many years with no ill effects.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.