Skip to comments.What would a bushtucker diet of bugs and mouse tails do to the body?
Posted on 12/03/2011 12:41:43 PM PST by decimon
As the annual spectacle of celebrities eating jungle nasties draws to a close this weekend, what's the nutritional value of an I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! style diet?
There was a woman who swallowed a fly. Then a spider that wiggled and wiggled and tickled inside her.
The thrill of this nursery rhyme - and its TV equivalent, the bushtucker trial on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! - is the excruciating thought of eating something icky and unlikely.
But what would a diet of spiders and flies, mouse tails and camel toes do to the body? Is there enough nutritional value in these icky somethings to sustain human life?
Yes - in part, say experts, if eaten with fruit and vegetables to provide missing vitamins and minerals.
"It's estimated that about 70% of the world's population eats insects as a regular part of their diet," says entomologist Stuart Hine, from the insect department at London's Natural History Museum.
"They have about the same amount of protein per 100g as cheese, eggs, fish and meat. And in many insects, it's higher. But there's a difference between what's in it and what we can digest."
(Excerpt) Read more at bbc.co.uk ...
I hope to never personally know the answer to this question.
I hang out with the top end of the food chain. Taco Bell is about as native as I will go.
Well we know then you can handle eating tapeworms.
How much bush could a bushtucker tuck if a bushtucker could tuck bush?
Yes, a diet of bugs like crawfish are part of the jambalaya of cuisines that people of taste have acquired. A diet of spiders and flies, mouse tails and camel toes sounds like the cuisine of DemonRATs!
Exuse me, but I don’t follow what you’re suggesting. To me, it appears a non sequitur.
If you can face up to it.
I’m suggesting you’re exposing yourself to enough bugs by eating Taco bell. If I wanted to play gastro-intestinal russian roulette, I’d get me some Taco Bell.
The food service industry is notorious for food handling employees not washing their hands properly or at all. We don’t eat at certain places anymore because of it.
Don’t knock it if you’ve never tasted roasted witchetty grubs. Creamy on the inside, crunchy on the outside. Yum!!! Plenty of protein and dessert all in one.
I don't know about the spiders and flies, but those camel toes? Like Andy Griffith said, "Ummm ummm GOOD!"
I'm sure it's lower than my estimate.
**** “ Camel toes? LOL “ *****
I think Laz has a 500 page Recipe Book (I might be wrong, maybe or it might be 750 pages) with wonderful color pictures... It’s a Coffee Table Must Have! It is so popular they can’t keep it on the shelves I haven’t been able to find it in any Store and I have looked.
***** “ Im suggesting youre exposing yourself to enough bugs by eating Taco bell. If I wanted to play gastro-intestinal russian roulette, Id get me some Taco Bell.
The food service industry is notorious for food handling employees not washing their hands properly or at all. We dont eat at certain places anymore because of it. “ *****
Just a thought ... if you removed everything from your body that wasn’t a Bacteria or Germ ... you would look just the same (visually. or as people would see you...) can’t remember where I saw / read that ... might have been Thomas Gold in his “Deep Hot Biosphere” book...
It's estimated that about 70% of the world's population knowingly eats insects as a regular part of their diet. The remaining 30% does so unknowingly.
anybody for bushtuckering?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.