Skip to comments.Top 20 Fluoride News Stories of 2011 will make you say why?
Posted on 02/25/2012 3:16:14 AM PST by nyscof
Misinformed fluoridation promoters falsely assure unquestioning and confused legislators that fluoride-laced water is safe for everyone and no credible evidence proves otherwise. However, hundreds of studies and an abundance of evidence prove them wrong.
Here's what happened in 2011
1) U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recommends lowering water fluoride levels due to fluoride's harmful dental effects For over 6 decades, HHS assured Americans that artificially fluoridated water was safe for everyone to drink. But they were wrong. About 50% of U.S. adolescents have fluoride-ruined teeth or dental fluorosis white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted teeth. So HHS' recommends lowering "optimal" water fluoride levels.
2) HHS recommends avoiding fluoridated water when making infant formula to prevent dental fluorosis (discolored teeth) Many government, health and dental agencies report that babies who consume fluoridated water are more apt to have fluoride-discolored/damaged teeth without benefit of less tooth decay. (References: http://www.FormulaFluoride.Webs.com)
3) The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will lower safe water fluoride levels to protect bones and teeth The prestigious National Research Council found EPA's current safe water fluoride levels can adversely affect bones and teeth. EPA's Office of Water will lower safe water fluoride levels
4) U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports growing numbers of U.S. children have fluoride-damaged teeth, arguably at epidemic proportions. Due to fluoride over-exposure, the CDC reports that over 41% of 12-15 years olds are afflicted with dental fluorosis. However, no research was conducted to discover what fluoride over-exposure has done to children's bones.
5) Fumigant sulfuryl fluoride found to leave health-damaging levels of fluoride residues on food EPA's Office of Pesticides proposes to ban fumigant sulfuryl fluoride because harmful fluoride levels remain on many foods e.g. cocoa beans and dried eggs.
6) Even fluoride-seller, Colgate, reports that studies confirm "the association between infant formula consumption and permanent dentition fluorosis." Colgate joins many government, health and dental organizations in advising that infant formula should not be mixed with fluoridated water to lower babies' risk of developing dental fluorosis (http://www.FormulaFluoride.Webs.com), but this is little publicized.
7) Infant juices contain non-labeled tooth-damaging fluoride levels Commonly-consumed infant fruit juices contain fluoride, some at levels higher than recommended for pubic water supplies, according to research presented at the International Association for Dental Research annual meeting.
8) More studies published linking fluoride to human brain damage and lower IQ A review of studies published in Neurologia reports, "The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system." The research team reports, "It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride."
9) New Study Fails to Refute Fluoride-Osteosarcoma Link A paper in the Journal of Dental Research by dentist Chester Douglass and colleagues, "An Assessment of Bone Fluoride and Osteosarcoma," claims to show no association between fluoride bone levels and osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer. However, Douglass' study has serious scientific flaws and is incapable of disproving a previous study (Bassin et al., 2006) which linked water fluoridation to osteosarcoma.
10) Prominent Hispanic Civil Rights Group Opposes Fluoridation The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) opposes fluoridation as a civil rights violation and because "the National Research Council in 2006 established that there are large gaps in the research on fluoride's effects on the whole body; a fact that contradicts previous assurances made by public health officials and by elected officials, that fluorides and fluoridation have been exhaustively researched."
11) Prominent Civil Rights Leaders Oppose Fluoridation Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young, Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD, Martin Luther Kings daughters, Bernice and Alveda. asked Georgia legislators to repeal the state's mandatory water fluoridation law.
12) Tennessee House Speaker, Other Legislators Call for Halt to State Promotion of Fluoridation Bipartisan group cites risks for citizens and water utilities. Tennessee, once 99% fluoridated, is now down in the low 90's according to the American Dental Association News.
13) Water Fluoridation Injury Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court A 13-year-old's fluoride-discolored teeth were allegedly caused by drinking fluoridated bottled water since infancy. Her mom is suing the bottlers for the cost to cover up the unsightly teeth.
14) Review of Fluoride Supplement Studies Show No Evidence of Safety - No Benefit Either According to the Cochrane Oral Health Group, fluoride supplements fail to reduce tooth decay in primary teeth, permanent teeth cavity-reduction is dubious and health risks are little studied -- The Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO fluoride supplementation because "Too much fluoride causes streaks in the teeth" and it's impossible to determine a child's individual daily fluoride intake from all sources. Sodium fluoride supplements "have not been found by FDA to be safe or effective," according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
15) Dental hygienist's Master's thesis and experience shows no Benefit from fluoridation In a Master's thesis, a dental hygienist, with 20 years experience in a clinic for low-income children, noticed these children had significant tooth decay in spite of fluoridation. When people were educated about fluoride's risks and benefits, they stopped drinking fluoridated water, she reported.
16) CDC Reveals Fluoridation Fails Alaskans The CDC reports that 91% of rural Alaskan Native adolescents have cavities whether their water is fluoridated or not. The CDC acknowledges that poor diets and lack of dental care are the probable culprits.
17) Pew Charitable Trust uses propaganda, PR and political clout to force more fluoride into people who don't want it. The Pew Charitable Trust paid for lobbyists to misinform Arkansas state legislators into mandating fluoridation statewide which nullified local referendums where residents said NO to fluoridation. Pew continues to contaminate local fluoridation politics in New Hampshire, Iowa, Austin and elsewhere.
18) The Council of Canadians, Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment and Great Lakes United demand an end to fluoridation Council of Canadians' Unfluoridate It! campaign. Great Lakes United statement against the 'practice of artificial drinking water fluoridation.'
19) Dr. Joe Mercola, owner of the world's most visited natural health website conducted Fluoride Awareness Week Dr. Mercola reveals the science behind fluoride's adverse health effects to the brain, bones, the thyroid and pineal glands.
20) New York City Council Members introduce legislation (Int 0463-2011) to stop fluoridation City Council Member Peter Vallone, Jr. says, "There is a growing body of evidence that fluoride does more harm than good."
Those who claim fluoridation is harmless for everyone and that fluoride's health effects have been exhaustively studied cannot be trusted because that's simply not true.
Another advantage of distilled water is we are rarely sick.
Fluoridation Mandrake! Fluoridation is a Commie plot!
I like to read the science and not watch movies to learn about fluoride’s harmful effects. Here’s some http://www.FluorideAction.net/health
“Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young, Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD, Martin Luther Kingâs daughters, Bernice and Alveda. asked Georgia legislators to repeal the state’s mandatory water fluoridation law.”
Now I’ve heard everything. What is the reasoning here?
he had it because he used it in his manufacturing process at work. I told him he should bottle and sell it and that's when he told me the story. Prior to that,I never knew. Your comment reminded me of it.
I am so glad that our local water company (York, PA) never caved in to the pressure to flouridate our water. They get lambasted from time to time by the local know-it-all media, and they just quietly keep on providing us with some of the best tasting water I’ve ever had.
Tooth decay is highest in the Black community and so is dental fluorosis. Low-income people are generally malnourished and suffer the worst from most diseases.
Some of fluoride’s adverse effects can be avoided by eating a diet high in nutrients especially calcium, vitamins A,D, K
Calcium is the antidote for fluoride poisoning. The scientific literature reports many foods and nutrients that can sometimes even reverse skeletal fluorosis caused by fluoride ingestion.
Low income people are very deficient in the nutrients that build healthy teeth as well as the nutrients that will ameliorate the toxic effects of fluoride.
Remember, fluoride is a drug. Like all drugs, those with compromised immune systems are the most harmed.
You are very lucky. Too many legislators are ether afraid of the dental lobby or benefit from them so that they prefer not to rock the boat.
Other cities that have stopped fluoridation are here http://www.FluorideAction.Net/communities.htm
In Nebraska, 53 out of 66 towns voted not to fluoridate in 2008 and 2010, reports the PEW Foundation.
Tennessee, once 99% fluoridated, is now down in the low 90s, according to the American Dental Association News.
In 2011 the following US cities stopped fluoridation: Holmen and Grantsburg, Wisconsin; Welsh, Louisiana; Mechanicsville, Iowa; Hartland, Marcellus and Mt. Clemens, MI; Fairbanks and Palmer, Alaska; Spring Hill, Lawrenceburg & Hohenwald, TN; Philomath, OR; Pottstown, PA; College Station and Lago Vista, Texas ; Spencer, Indiana; Naples, NY; Pinellas County and Tarpon, FL; Amesbury, MA and Yellow Springs, Ohio . In 2012: Myerstown, Pennsylavnia; ; Bolivar, Missouri
In Canada: Lake Shore, Ontario; Calgary, Slave Lake and Taber, Alberta; Flin Flon, Manitoba; Verchères, Québec; Lake Cowichan and Williams Lake, BC; Moncton and Dieppe, New Brunswick. In 2012: Amherstburg, Ontario.
In New Zealand: New Plymouth and Taumarunui.
Many cities are considering stopping fluoridation including New York City
New York State communities which have already stopped or rejected fluoridation include: Elba, Levittown, Canton, Corning, Johnstown, Oneida, Carle Place, Rockland County, Suffolk County, Western Nassau County, Albany, Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Riverhead, Central Bridge Water District, Homer, Ithaca, Rouses Point and Amsterdam.
Students in Ireland are spearheading a campaign to stop fluoridation in the only country that mandates fluoridation country-wide.
Hey, anytime there is a article about fluoride on FR, you have to know SOMEONE is going to bring out old Jack Ripper ... its a given.
Like I said I did a lot of research on water. Filter companies make a lot of money selling filters that have to be replaced. If you buy a good water distiller it will last a good while so there is no money to be made once the distiller is bought.
Filter companies say that you will loose minerals if you drink distilled water. Nothing could be further from the truth. Any minerals in water are (rocks) in the inorganic state and can not be used by the body. The can cause kidney stones gall stones etc. You get your minerals from food not water. The minerals in water vary so much depending where you are, so even if the were organic water would be a poor source for minerals.
As for distilled water leaching minerals from the body, that is partially true. Water has 3 main purposes in the body. One is to clean the body the other is to cool the body and make blood. In order to clean the body the water needs to be clean in order to clean it. Think of distilled water as a vacuum cleaner. It is empty and picks up bad stuff (dirt). It deposits it in the kidneys and then you pass it.
There are lots of good books on the subject of water 2 I recommend are "The choice is clear" and the other is "Fluoride the aging factor". One more good one is Chlorine Cholesterol, & Canaries.
Yes I know and it used to be the lead for every news article until the google educated journalists.
West Texas water also contains apatite, a form of calcium. During WWII, the army observed that recruits from W. Texas had few cavaties. Someone investigated and found out about the high floride content, ignoring the other minerals in the water. Its the other minerals that are probably protecting your teeth and bones.
Fluoride, aspartame, corn syrup, MSG, and childhood vaccinations.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.