Skip to comments.NYC woman dies after getting trapped inside clothing drop box
Posted on 03/11/2012 5:42:23 AM PDT by Jahoohio
NEW YORK A New York City woman who climbed into a clothing drop box suffocated and died inside after the box's metal door closed on her head and trapped her Saturday, police said.
Melissa Mazzeo, 51, crawled into the large metal box
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Darwin Award. Has to be.
Reported that the lid closed on her head - and then, her head was sticking out?????
Strange that no-one saw or heard her. They may have decided to let her ‘do her thing’.
Watch for new laws requiring charity drop boxes to have special warning signs & buzzers....or licenses for locations in high traffic areas only and/or easy access for the ‘apparel challenged’.
Sometimes,,,, its just not your day.
They really should make these boxes safer.I can imagine a child trying to crawl in there , a few kids playing aorund and hoisting a little kid in there.
We now have the injunction to remove doors off regrigerators before being placed on the curb for pick-up for that very reason.
Well—she did place her clothes there, as the sign said.
Too bad the sign didn’t add: after taking them off..............
How did she suffocate if her head was sticking out?
Did the reporter think to wonder about that?
Did the editor forbid the reporter from openly wondering about that?
There’s not just an obvious Darwin Award here, but some kind of bizarro journalism award, too.
Of course, if there had been a Republican President in office, this would be front page news across the nation. There would be candlelight vigils for the poor woman because the heartless Republicans have kept the woman in such a poor state that she had to go dumpster-diving for clothes.
But, since Obama is King and bad things can’t be blamed on him, this will be swept up and forgotten about in a day or so.
Unless they can find a way to blame it on Bush — which is something they are no doubt looking for right now.
Horrible way to go
Maybe she accidentally donated a dress that was to die for...
The lid may have compressed her lungs or trachea.
Of course, crawling into a donation box does not confer immortality, she may well have been in poor health anyway and could not withstand whatever added physical stress being trapped in a donation box entails.
This law was put into place because the old refrigerators had latches that locked the door and kept it from being opened from the inside. Today's fridges all use magnetic closures that DO NOT lock the door, this is a safety feature that makes leaving a fridge with the door on as safe as one without the door.
As for placing one more law on the books because someone might be stupid enough to crawl inside one of these boxes, especially since it hasn't happened except to an extremely greedy woman, is just advocating for more nanny state laws.
I’m just thinking of goofy kids....it can’t be that hard to adjust these boxes so if a kid gets in, they can get out.
Isn’t what you describe “strangulation”, not “suffocation”?
Maybe I’m wrong. If I’m wrong I apologize to the reporter.
To me, if someone’s head is out in the air, and I’m told that person “suffocated”, I’m going to at least ask WTF.
“Darwin Award. Has to be.”
I don’t think so. This is how desperate people are getting in Obama’s ecomomic recovery, and it should be touted as such.
Wouldn’t it have been easier to shop at the store with a couple of bucks?
The smell told me I had a catch.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.