Skip to comments.World's Rarest Alcohol Collection Sells ($8 Million)
Posted on 03/11/2012 1:52:47 PM PDT by nickcarraway
OldLiquor.com owner Bay van der Bunt muct sell his $8 million rare and historical spirits collection from three generations; including cognac, whiskey and port
Three generations of alcohol thats never been drunk? Now, thats rare.
Yet in the case of Bay van der Bunt, whats even more rare is the collection itself passed down three generations and collected from international auctions like Christies and Sothebys, pieces even dating back to George Washingtons inauguration year (1789). The Dutch collector doesnt much fancy the liquid poison himself, and without an heir to pass down the worlds finest collection of spirits, hes forced to sell the lot.
Cognacs and ports and sherry, oh my! But all of them must say goodbye to OldLiquors.com blogger and entrepreneur, who is shedding more than 5,000 bottles of historical and rare finds to the world. Who will be the lucky suitor that comes calling? My preference goes out to selling the entire collection to an individual who shares the same passion for old liquors as I do, so that everything stays together, he says.
A full-party price of around $8 million has been revealed, but from the looks of things with individual bottles aged more than 250 years Bay van der Bunt is likely to make quite a killing, despite his reluctance to sell. The rarity alone of some of these whiskeys, armagnacs, ports, madeiras and cognacs make the entire collection of alcohol priceless.
The fate of OldLiquor.com, a site Bay van der Bunt has been running for a decade, is still up in the air as potential buyers come calling. A collection of this size is not simply attained within a few years, he states. Nobody will be able to collection what I have in one lifetime; it would take another two to three generations.
Do pieces from OldLiquor have your name on it? Visit online to learn more.
Browsing through that site, he has some amazing stuff.
My preference is he throw a big party and we be done with it.
Are you really THAT impressed with ethanol?
We have 10% by volume of it in our gasoline and it has a lower BTU value than the remaining 90%.
You’d let a bunch of drunks drink that good stuff?/s LOL
It takes a pretty rich alcoholic to want to spend that much on booze.
Drunks, you say? I My friends and I prefer the term serious drinkers. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw bottles at others.
Unless they are from OldLiquor.com. They may be tossed gently to the receiver who would either stash them with the rest of the collection, or enjoyed.
Please, do not drink and toss!!
There is some improvement in wood but after about a dozen years it's near stasis.
If it's never been in wood...or only a very short time...it will HURT you.
It never pays to drink cheap whiskey.
“It never pays to drink cheap whiskey.”
True, true, true.
Me, I’m a beer drinker, but I told my kid, you can drink cheap wine, cheap beer, but if you are drinking hard liquor, you’ve got to drink the high end stuff.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.