Skip to comments.Man Bitten by Rattlesnake at Wal-Mart Says He's Never Been More Scared
Posted on 05/15/2012 11:00:40 PM PDT by nickcarraway
He thought it was a stick, but an Eastern Washington man painfully discovered it was actually a rattlesnake in the gardening aisle of the Wal-Mart in Clarkston when it bit his hand.
Mica Craig said he was looking for mulch for his medical marijuana growing operation when he reached down. Suddenly, the snake latched on to his hand and wouldn't let go.
"It's the most scared I've ever been in my life. When I shook it and heard the rattles, I knew it was a rattlesnake and then I freaked. I was screaming bloody murder through the parking lot," he told Dori in an interview from his hospital bed in Lewiston, Idaho.
Craig says he stomped the snake to death and then began to worry about the venom coursing through his hand.
Luckily, a woman who saw the bite acted fast.
"She grabbed me and threw me in my car and headed me to urgent care, which was right across the street, but they don't take snake bite victims."
The ordeal continued after getting diverted to the emergency room. His hand hadn't swelled because he iced the bite wound, so doctors told him not to worry about it and sent him home. Soon after, his hand swelled up "the size of a grapefruit."
After returning to the hospital, he was rushed to treatment, where doctors administered anti-venom and cut open his hand to relieve the swelling.
"As of right now, my little finger doesn't move at all and my ring finger barely moves. I'm hoping it's just swelling."
But Craig told Dori he is worried about long term damage.
"I'm just hoping that my hand works."
And that little factoid it relevant to the story because.....?
good scam..... worth money...
Mica Craig said he was looking for mulch for his medical marijuana growing operation ....
It's hard to tell the difference between a stick and a snake when you're stoned.
Wouldn’t it have worked better if he got bitten by a cobra at Costco?
His hand hadn’t swelled because he iced the bite wound, so doctors told him not to worry about it and sent him home.
I find that hard to believe.
I would think it would mean he could pay cash for his treatment if the nimrod doctors had a clue about snakebites. Cannot believe they sent this man home without recognizing or realizing the type of bites he’d suffered. I would think the man told them about the rattles. At least they had anti-venom on hand (no pun intended).
Too much personal information heh...
hey, they good news is it was a rattle snake.
less than 10 people die a year from snake bites.
“Mica Craig said he was looking for mulch for his medical marijuana growing operation when he reached down”
Durs a perty stick dur ah think I’ll pick it up....
AAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Dur perty stick did bited me!
It may have something to do with how often someone sees various critters, I can't imagine mistaking a rattler for a stick.
Perhaps he was stoned and that’s why he thought the snake was a stick.
Rattlesnakes are not around here in Western Washington State.
I am guessing the doctor’s there are not familiar with snake bites.
I find that hard to believe.
Believe it. I went to a VA hospital with a severely infected big toe made more serious by diabetes. I was given oral antibiotics and sent home. The next day the infection had entered my foot. I went to another hospital where they amputated my toe the next day, as a doc put it, "to save the leg."
He undoubtedly sampled his own product before his shopping trip. Shouldn’t shop with impaired judgement, eh ?
...as in...a clutch of King cobras catty-corner to condiments and canned corn, concluding in a concussive, cascading cacaphony and carnage before consulting care?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.