Skip to comments.Georgia woman learns toll of flesh-eating bacteria.
Posted on 05/18/2012 7:54:38 AM PDT by wyowolf
ATLANTA A young Georgia woman fighting a flesh-eating bacteria has said "Let's do this" after being told that she will lose her hands and remaining foot.
(Excerpt) Read more at ajc.com ...
My wife’s cousin lost both hands and both legs to this stuff, got it in a hospital. Finally cost her her life after several years. This stuff is nasty.
I don't remember this stuff in years past. Where did it come from?
It’s a staph infection.
I lost my 39 year old fiance to it 3 years ago
That is some wicked stuff. I would not recommend that anyone do an image search if they have a weak stomach. Nearly wretched when I did.
I wouldn’t wish this stuff upon my worst enemy.
My friend’s nephew has been battling this, got in his spine! They actually have it under control, but they don’t claim cured. It’s been about a year. He’s walking now, but with canes. He’s about 30 years old.
I know another kid who has had it twice, both times in his arm. He’s an addict. It happens a lot with addicts.
I should have mentioned the good news about the young man who had MRSA twice. He has kicked both the heroin and the MRSA and has been running every day with his dad, who has run every single day for more than 40 years, without missing a single day.
Do you know where she contracted it?
I think this is much worse than MRSA.
She got it from a broken, homemade zip line she was riding. The zip line snapped cut her. The staph wasn’t on the zip line itself but from one of the people that helped treat her on the scene.
I don’t know, I think that it’s the same thing. The young man’s mother said that his flesh looked like wet tar, black and runny. He has no use of his arm, now, but he’s alive.
IOW, a new super bug.
I wouldn’t say it is a new super bug. It’s just an antibiotic-resistant staph infection.
[ I wouldnt say it is a new super bug. Its just an antibiotic-resistant staph infection. ]
So if anti-biotics won’t kill it what about flooding the person’s body with a chemical that uis a bacterialcide? Something like spraying someone down with lysol from head to toe so the body could absorb it and have in their system for a while. Lysol works differently from anti-biotics it is a harsh chemical, also what about tageted injections of ethanol (alcohol) around the infection site, as long as too much isn’t injected in an area at once (too much could lead to alcohol poisoning).
I find it interesting that no one has done a study concerning infection rates of necrotising fascititis among alcoholics vs. non alcohol drinkers.
I have a brother who got a gash in his leg that was starting to run bad and had not healed for a almost two weeks, and he sprayed the area down several times a day with Lysol (the unscented stuff) and within a few days it got better and healed completely within a week.
What they need to find out is there a chemical than can be flooded into a person’s system that will kill these bacteria nasties (sorta like chemotherepy for bacteria) that isn’t a anti-biotic type, something like a harsh chemical that the bacteria will have an extermely hard time adapting to it.
Lysol, 3% hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol or other such bacteriacides could all work if applied fastidiously.
>> “So if anti-biotics wont kill it what about flooding the persons body with a chemical that uis a bacterialcide?” <<
Honey will kill it, so will alicin from garlic, but the FDA doesn’t allow natural methods to be used in hospitals.
The problem isn’t the bacterium, its the individual’s poor health that is the enabler of the necrosis. They got the bug from someone else that wasn’t being eaten up by it. This is deliberate propagation of fear, not medicine.
Oh wow. My sincerest condolences on your loss.
A third case of flesh-eating bacteria has emerged with ties to Georgia, myFOXatlanta reported.
A landscaper from Cartersville is in critical condition at Doctors Hospital in Augusta battling the potentially deadly disease. That’s the same place University of West Georgia graduate student Aimee Copeland is being treated.
A Piedmont, S.C. mom is also fighting the infection days after giving birth here in Atlanta at Emory University Hospital Midtown.
The new flesh-eating bacteria case involves Bobby Vaughn. The Cartersville landscaper was injured at work when he fell from a tree two weeks ago and suffered a cut to his side.
“He got a cut on his side and took him to the hospital. My son said he was throwing up They treated him, he chose to leave. He got up the next morning it had spread,” said Amanda Nicholson, Vaughn’s ex-wife.
Nicholson said that Vaughn spent about a week at Cartersville Medical Center. She says the infection quickly spread from his abdomen to his upper back. He was eventually transferred to Doctor’s Hospital in Augusta.
Necrotizing fasciitis is caused by several kinds of bacteria, including some of the same bacteria that causes strep throat. The bacteria that infected Copeland is called Aeromonas hydrophila and can be found found in warm, brackish waters. Aeromonas hydrophila is typically contracted through swallowing, which results in nausea, but it can also infect open wounds, as in Copelands case.
Copeland, a psychology graduate student at the University of West Georgia, was kayaking with friends when she tried a homemade zipline that snapped, causing a large gash in her left calf. She was immediately sent to the hospital where doctors closed her wound with 22 staples. A few days later, Copelands friend returned her to the hospital after she reported continued pain. She was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis and airlifted to JMS Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia where doctors amputated her left leg. Following the surgery, Copeland went into cardiac arrest, but was resuscitated, CNN affiliate WGCL reported.
When [Aeromonas hydrophila] gets into those deeper tissues, it has a remarkable ability to destroy the tissues that surround it in sort of this hunt for nutrition. When it does that, those tissues die, and you see the inflammation and the swelling and the destruction that can be very difficult to control, Dr. Buddy Creech, an assistant professor of pediatric infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University, told CNN. Creech says Copelands case was more uncommon since she was not affected by swallowing, but her wound got infected and the infection (ran) wild.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.