Skip to comments.Dog saves woman from Ensley house fire
Posted on 05/24/2012 9:07:02 AM PDT by Altariel
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)- Mercidee McKinney's story is a prime example of Birmingham fire fighters' biggest fear: that the recent fires from abandoned structures will spread to inhabited buildings and hurt innocent bystanders.
Luckily for McKinney, she had a little canine help in escaping a dangerous situation.
"You just can't imagine. I just can't describe it. It was unbelievable."
That's how McKinney describes how it felt to watch her house on Avenue S in Ensley catch fire early Saturday morning after the abandoned one next door caught fire. For years she'd wanted the eyesore removed, but not this way.
"It would have been a blessing if it hadn't hit my house," McKinney said.
Late Friday, May 18, she'd taken her medicine that helps her fall into a deep sleep. She'd been pet sitting her grandson's Chihuahua, Zoe, and around 5 a.m. Saturday the dog came in and jumped on her bed.
"I kept trying to get the dog off the bed and she just kept looking at me. And then I realized something was wrong when I looked out the window and saw the bright light outside. I thought it was the sun," McKinney said.
McKinney says when she opened her curtains she realized it wasn't daybreak lighting up the sky, but the house next door on fire.
She ran out of her house and called 911 as the flames spread to her house, damaging two bedrooms, the living room and the den.
The only thing that's left on her den wall is the word "believe" and McKinney says she believes that God will get her through this time. She admits that she has never been a "pet person" but now Zoe is truly part of her family.
As for the person or persons setting the fires, she has this message.
"They need to realize they're not just burning down abandoned houses, they're destroying lives too."
Because of the amount of damage, McKinney will have to move or rebuild which is especially devastating because she says she was only a few years away from paying off her mortgage.
Invesgigators have several strong leads in these fires but they urge anyone with information about them to call the Birmingham Fire Department's Fire Prevention Department at 205-250-7540.
What a beautiful lady and beautiful dog.. Thankfully they are both safe!
I have told my story about Bobo the Angel Dog before about he saved our house from catching fire. We are still grateful. A floor plug shorted out and started shooting sparks. The plug was under the sofa and we had a small fire under there. Bobo ran back and forth from the den to the bedroom, barking wildly until until Mr Ditter woke up from his nap. Bobo is in puppy Heaven now.
Chihuahuas can be annoying, but sometimes they come shining through....
Interesting; I wasn’t aware that the texture of the coat was associated with difference of temperament in Jack Russel Terriers.
I should of added that Bobo was my first rescue Jack and the same one who saved our house from catching fire.
Well, if you stroke their fur against the grain, they do get a bit grumpy.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.