I told her I would be over on Saturday to test him myself. I had two lawn chairs and fishing poles and a cooler of cokes and sandwiches. I took him to a spot I knew didn't have a single fish.
I taught him to bait his hook cast and reel in. I told him had had to sit quiet and still or the fish would not bite.
That child sat for over three hours casting and reeling in very slowly. He got up to pee once and ate a couple of sandwiches.
I took him home told my sister he didn't have ADD or ADHD, that he was bored.
I told her that the school could have him tested (At the schools expense) only if they tested his IQ first (again at the schools expense).
Two weeks later she called me up and said that his IQ was above normal and they wanted to move him up a grade.
I told her they were now going to the opposite extreme and to leave him where he was but with a different teacher.
The very next year he was given student of the month two months in a row.
Great story! The problem is that the liberal school systems are full of morons that are unable to address smart students. There was a movie years go whereby smart kids were dumbed down and stupid kids were artifically made smart just so every kid was “average”.
Gee! I am glad to see that your tag line has changed.
I've seen in my grand-kids classrooms and often the desk are grouped or in a circle rather than all in a line pointed toward the teacher. That makes for a poor learning environment. Perhaps 80% of the kids in class can function in that enforcement the other 20% to some degree mild to severe will have difficulty. Those will likely be pegged as having learning disabilities and the catch all diagnoses is ADD ADHD.
It is also very likely when a kid has lets say vision problems that they have some form of auditory processing issue and vice versa. The focus for 50 years has been on ADD ADHD rather than other more likely possibilities. ADD ADHD means more money to the schools. Central Auditory Processing Disorders means nothing because basically it is simply a classroom modification issue and the parents getting medical treatment for the physical/neurological issue.
In high school Shakespeare bored me too tears. In the 5th grade I could quote Robert Service writings off the top of my head. At age 16 on a month long family vacation in the early 1970's we went from East Tennessee to Fairbanks, Alaska in a pick up truck with a shell cover on the back in which we slept in. We went through Dawson City and I saw town and the places that inspired Service and Jack London.
Schools are not set up to promote learning nor to help a kid discover their interest and build upon it. I was poor in Math and did great in history except when a few teachers decided they wanted maps drawn. I lack the fine motor skills to draw them correctly. That in turn hurt my grade. Creative Writing was an elective in my high school English classes. I aced that class LOL.
Our earliest pioneers in this nation such as Boone, Lewis and Clark, who would leave civilization behind to explore places in todays world might be labeled learning disability students. Was it their desire or the peace they found being away from crowds what actually drove them? Read Service "The men who don't fit in" or read Kipling's The Explorer. What were they seeing even then in persons?
Your nephew had more patience than me. As a kid I loved hunting and fishing. But at hunting especially deer hunting the notion of being still all morning was a horror LOL. I would do what is called still hunting. That is basically walking and looking. I could cover ground in the morning that had my dad amazed LOL. I saw more deer in the process. At 55 the idea of sitting still in the woods for over four hours hunting deer is not one I like. Arthritis doesn't like it either.