Skip to comments.Teenager has stomach removed to save her life after drinking lethal liquid nitrogen cocktail
Posted on 10/07/2012 5:39:32 PM PDT by Olog-hai
An 18-year-old woman has had her stomach removed to save her life after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.
Gabby Scanlan had been drinking at Oscars wine bar in Lancaster to celebrate her 18th birthday when she was left feeling breathless. After developing serious stomach pain, she was rushed to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where she diagnosed with a perforated stomach. The young woman, from the village of Heysham in Lancashire, then underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach, reported ITV News.
Liquid nitrogen is pure nitrogen in a liquid state at a very low temperature. It boils at 196°C (320.8°F), and can cause rapid freezing when it comes into contact with living tissue.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
Yeah .. like ... the lips and tongue before it even enters the esophagus
She didn’t notice that what she was drinking was at more than 300 degrees below zero and exploded in her mouth as soon as it hit her tongue?
The “pornstar martini”.
Wow when I went out drinking @ 18, all we had was cheap beer....
stupid people....they think that LN2 is just so nifty and does so many wonderful things....like freezer your innards...
Would she have been so willing if alcohol weren’t involved?? Yeah thought not.
Some stupid is just self induced
Oh yeah. Teenagers often do stupid things
Teenager and ignorant?
A double whammy.
What kind of bar would even serve a drink like this?
Enzymes ~ lots of folks walking around these days without a stomach.
It would never make it to her stomach.
I am sort of dumbfounded....why would a bar serve a drink with liquid nitrogen in it... Even a small amount....
That stuff is extremely dangerous...
That is beyond stupi..... Falls into criminal ....
I never, in my wildest moment of off-the-wallness, ever for one second contemplated putting liquid nitrogen in my mouth. I had it soaked up to the calves of my jeans once though, although that situation didn't last very long.
I guess the girl never watched “Terminator” where the cyborg takes a liquid nitrogen bath....
You obviously understand the danger of ingesting liquid nitrogen but evidently not this 18-year-old girl. Still, I question why the bar she was in would even serve up this kind of drink? Why didn’t other patrons of this bar have a similar experience? I have a feeling that there is more to this story that we haven’t been told.
This is the girlie version of “hold muh beer!”
Sorry to hear what happened to her. Sounds like something Mr. Freeze would drink.
I agree - I spend many years in the lab as a research polymer chemist. We used LN2 as a coolant for certain reactions and as a cold trap for certain distillates (with acetone). I got a minor amount of frost bite on my right foot (still bugs me during the winter) when I didn’t use proper footwear when transferring from a larger container to a smaller...NEVER would I ever consider imbibing LN2 - freshman year physics class, our professor introduced us to LN2, he poured some into an insulated container, dipped in a rose, the LN2 boiled and bubbled over, he took out the rose and smashed in on the lab bench - it shattered...very impressive...
“Bartender, gimme something cold to drink.”
My chemistry professor in college dipped a rose into a thermos of LN and them smacked it on the table. It shattered into a million pieces.
didnt read the article but maybe it was more like a pice of dry ice in a “specialty drink” and she swallowed the dry ice,maybe.
Cause she would have been in intense pain just as LN hit her lips.
When I walk into a bar and order a drink, I assume that the bartender will hand me something that is fit for human consumption - with the possible exception of certain bars in Thailand.
-Like listen to idiot college indoctrinators who tell them to vote for Obama
——The dangers of dry ice are mild compared to liquid nitrogen——
Yup.... Where I work we use dry ice to ship temperature sensitive items....
And the OSHA safety regs are followed to the letter....
Yes, the limit on human stupidity does seem endless...
She ain’t dead yet.
100% agree with this.
Maybe it’s just as an American, but when I order a drink I presume it is drinkable.
You had all those resources, and you didn’t even make a small nuke??
I only listed the non-classified situations.
But she’s making a heck of an attempt.
ot to mention that all her eggs may be more than slightly frosted.
Well that £8.95 cocktail will probably end up costing the bar millions and the lawyers involved will consider that cocktail amazing as well.
Maybe she thought it would raise her eyebrows better than botox?
£8.95 = $14.44 at time of writing. If prison time doesn’t ensue for bar owners on top of whatever punitive damages it’ll cost the bar in terms of money, then things have really gone wrong over there.
It's fun to play with, but I can't imagine ever drinking the stuff. Even regular ice is too cold for me to ingest.
The bar actually served this drink? Truly criminal. And if they’re advertising it, why didn’t an adult speak up?
Yeah, my father was a physicist, took us to his lab once, froze a piece of rubber tubing in the liquid nitrogen and smashed it - it’s just insane to use it in bar drinks.
I HAVE put dry ice in drinks - a little chip to chill and carbonate it but I didn’t put the dry ice in my mouth and there is a difference of 120 deg C after all...
I did a fair number of dumb things at the age of 18 but I didn’t even know anyone this dumb. I knew an old drunk that drank brake fluid once but he had 60 years to pickle his brain. Good luck to her.
is it even possible to do this?
i would think the rapidly heating gas would expand so much as to make it impossible to swallow
I dont think the muscles that force food down the esophagus would work once frozen SOLID
I HAVE put dry ice in drinks - a little chip to chill and carbonate it but I didnt put the dry ice in my mouth and there is a difference of 120 deg C after all...
I sometimes use dry ice to revive a flat 2 liter bottle ... but it stinks for cooling a regular drink ,, for some reason it just doesn’t transfer the cold very well.. simple crushed wet ice is best.. I was at a trade show where they were selling a setup for making ice cream using LN2 ... but that was pretty safe ,, fogger type spray into the mixing bowl ... YUMMY!
Oh, I have been known to put liquid nitrogen in my mouth and blow vapor rings. I never thought to swallow it though.
I put it in my hands then toss it on coworkers when they aren’t looking. They cant figure out why their back just got extremely cold. :) These are all very small amounts because once you get over about a single cc then its gets to be too much at once. Much like salt in a recipe. A little bit does the trick, but too much ruins the recipe.
There is probably a certain amount of time you are supposed to wait before you drink the drink. The nitrogen is most likely meant to chill the drink into a slush and if you take it in before its done then you freeze your stomach. Or it might have been a numbers game where you ingest 2 or 3 of these drinks and you are OK, but 6 causes damage.
The body temperature is so far above liquid nitrogen’s boiling point that it will actually create a insulating shield for a small amount of time.
I put my hands in it as a trick at work all the time. I even put it in my mouth and blow vapor rings.
Yes its dangerous, and maybe I like to flirt with danger. :)
My buddy was a PhD chemist at Penn State, and he would take me into the lab after the bars closed. He would work on some reaction, and I would come up with as many fun things to do with liquid nitrogen as I could. One time I filled one of the sinks with liquid nitrogen and (very carefully) peed into it...the vapor cloud was a sight to behold. The next morning people were trying to figure out what the giant yellow ice cube in the sink was.
I don’t think it could have been one drink. I think a series of lets say 8-10 drinks were the culprit. You can probably drink one drink that is -60f but not 6 in a row. Something like that.
I don’t know what the temperature of the drink was but I agree that I don’t think you could reliably drink liquid nitrogen. If it managed to get to your esophagus I think you would either rupture something internally or be belching because of the expanding gas.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.