Skip to comments.Teenager has stomach removed to save her life after drinking lethal liquid nitrogen cocktail
Posted on 10/07/2012 5:39:32 PM PDT by Olog-hai
click here to read article
I find this hard to believe...if liquid nitrogen, in sufficient quantity to cause this, were put into the drink with any alcohol, the ‘drink’ in the glass would be frozen.
I am very familiar with liquid nitrogen. In high school we had a science fair and my physics teacher got liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen from Iowa State College (now University) and another student and I put on a demonstration with these two gases in a liquid state, both at very low temp. In the course of several demonstrations with each, I put my hand into the liquid nitrogen, then removed it after a few moments (maybe 5 seconds or so)...hand not frozen. The had is warm enough to gasify some of the nitrogen next to it and provide insulation for a very short time. I did this several times during the course of the evening’s demonstrations.
One of the things we did was to freeze a piece of rubber cut from an inner tube, and also freeze mercury on a stick and pound the frozen rubber nail into a piece of wood with the mercury hammer.
Yes, liquid nitrogen is at a very low temperature, low enough to freeze anything...we used it industrially to freeze an extruded rubber tube, then to wire braid over the tube to make hose, and we did this without a mandrel.
All that being said, this story has a lot of stinky poo in it.
This story is just absolutely bizarre. Prayers up for the young woman. She’s going to have a long road ahead of her, including possibly having to learn to eat in a radically different fashion than before (I’m thinking along the lines of feeding tubes or the “small bites/frequent meals” approach some stomach cancer survivors have to adopt).
Someone’s gotta be Rock Hard Stoopit to sell this drink.
It’s all fun til someone gets hurt...or dies....
Freaking retards. They are going to get sued into oblivion and this poor girl has had her life forever altered.
BINGO.. I have seen bartenders chip a piece of dry ice into a drink.. But they always warned the patron to let it fizzle out before drinking.. She swallowed it fast and it reached her stomach before it damaged too much of her throat.. IDIOTS ALL.. Poor thing.. :(
I don’t think it was unreasonable for the girl to assume that an exotic drink served in a public restaurant would be safe for human consumption.
There is a High School chemistry professor who hosts a cook out last day of the school year. He pours about 3 gallons of liquid oxygen into a full bag of charcoal in a Weber kettle with only one briquette burning. The resulting flare up burns all the charcoal and the grill completely in seconds.
As to be expected, YouTube has a vid:
I don’t drink anymore, but it would seem that you are supposed to wait before drinking this stuff down. Would you drink it while it was still smoking? Maybe she was already drunk and just didn’t think about what she was doing.
A life forever changed because of alcohol.
This article is pure BU##SH#T; she would not have even been able to get LN2 past her throat much less into her stomach.
I have worked with this stuff often enough to know what it will do to tissue and how fast it converts from a liquid state to a gas.
I would assume, if I were served a drink at a bar, that the drink would be drinkable. Even if I were stone cold sober. I’d figure they knew what they were doing.
A person can live without a stomach?? This girls stomach is gone
As crazy as it sounds, apparently one can. I did a bit of searching on some medical sites, and if what I read is correct, the procedure is to basically link the esophagus directly to the intestinal tract. It’s generally done in the severest stomach cancer cases, when no part of the stomach can be saved.
Eating (again, based upon what I read) is a radically different process in these cases. All-liquid diets, especially at first, are not uncommon. Where solid food is eaten, it’s apparently tiny amounts at a time. A regimen of supplemental vitamin injections (especially B12, for some reason) becomes a lifelong requirement.
Tsk tsk. That’s not going to be a pleasant existence..sad
This happened in Old Blighty. The "adults" there do as they are told. They do not dare to interfere with the the recreations of the chavs or the fulminations of the "asians". But the barristers will be pleased to litigate now that someone has been hurt.
looking at that photo of the drink itself, it appears that it might be using ‘dry ice’ which is a frozen solid of nitrogen.
a tiny block of dry ice would make that cold smoke on the top of the drink, and you could easily swallow the piece of dry ice (not good!)
That’s probably a pretty impressive demonstration! That one might be a little over-the-top for me, liquid oxygen is not a material I’d really feel comfortable having around even a single lit piece of charcoal...
In grad school, there was a student that dropped a standard gas cylinder while moving it with the protective top off, it hit the edge of a bench, knocked off the regulator and top, the cylinder went though a block wall on the second floor and ended up in a car in the parking lot below...I didn’t see it happen, but I did see the aftermath...granted, that is a little off topic as (if I remember correctly), that was argon and the resulting destruction had nothing to do with flammability (argon is a noble gas), just the fact that 2200 psi is nothing to mess with...
I’ve heard of foods being prepared with LN2, and I’m sure that’s an accepted process...the ‘Dots’ ice cream you see at amusement parks are made with LN2, but they’re not serving it at -196oC!
-—— appears that it might be using dry ice which is a frozen solid of nitrogen.——
Dye ice is frozen carbon dioxide....not nitrogen
Way different levels of danger...
There's a video for that!