Skip to comments.12/12/12: Twelve must-know facts about last once-in-a-lifetime date this century
Posted on 12/12/2012 8:28:49 AM PST by Lucky9teen
People pray for peace during 12:12:12, at an event called "Light Meeting" in Tama, west of Tokyo December 12, 2012, marking the last day in this century where the numeral date appear with the same numbers.
Its the centurys last sequential date. For some, it represents luck. For others, its a day of romance. For most of us, its just another Wednesday. Regardless of your beliefs, 12/12/12 comes along with some rather amusing facts and superstitions.
Ballons fly in air as newlywed couples celebrate their mass wedding in conjunction with the date 12.12.12 outside a Chinese temple in Kuala Lumpur on December 12, 2012. Some 200 couples gathered at the temple to attend a grand colourful wedding ceremony on December 12, 2012, which many in Asia marks an auspicious date on the calendar.
1. Wedding bells will be ringing in Hong Kong and Singapore, where couples are keen to tie the knot on a day which they say symbolizes love. But its not just Asia which will see an increase in love birds heading to the altar. A survey conducted by US-based Davids Bridal estimates that around 7,500 brides will be getting hitched in America a 1,446 per cent increase from the less significant 12/12/11. The surge comes as no surprise, considering the sharp increases in marriages which took place on 11/11/11 and 10/10/10.
Jiaqui Yuan signs his marriage certificate dated 12/12/12 at a marriage office in central Sydney December 12, 2012. A record number of couples are getting married today in Australia in celebration of the last time for almost 90 years that the date will have the same number for the day, month and year.
2. For some, the day will be anything but joyful. Many doomsdayers believe 12/12/12 will be the end of the world, thanks to an interpretation of the Mayan calendar. But, most of the end-of-the-world believers are convinced that the actual doomsday is on 12/21/12, when the Mayan calendar is set to end.
3. In response to end of the world preparations taking place across the globe, the Astronomical Society of the Pacific has declared 12/12/12 Anti-Doomsday Day, in celebration of rational thinking and reasoned discourse.
4. Palindrome lovers will rejoice in the fact that at 1:21:02 am, they can celebrate the second which marks a date-time combination which will be read the same both backwards and forwards. 2012-12-12 1:21:02 = 201212-1-212102.
5. Those who wish to take part in yet another time-based phenomenon but find themselves snoring away at 1:21:02 will be given a second chance. At 12:12:12 pm, the number 12 will be given a sixer 12/12/12 12:12:12.
6. Number crunchers have a profound respect for the number 12, mainly because of its divisibility capabilities. After all, it can divided into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, and twelfths. So it can only be assumed that mathematicians will find 12/12/12 to be three times more exciting than a normal 12 day.
7. According to Chinese numerology, the number one is a yang number which is ruled by the sun and represents independence and individualism. Two is a yin number which is ruled by the moon and represents symmetry and balance. When placed together, the number 12 brings harmony to the yin and yang, balancing the feminine energy of the moon with the masculine energy of the sun. So, what we can gather is that 12/12/12 equals lots of harmony.
People practice Taiji, a form of Chinese martial arts.
8. Three is generally considered a heavenly number and often represents the soul or godhead. Four is the number of earth and mankind for example, there are four elements (earth, air, fire, and water) and four cardinal directions (north, south, east, and west). Because of this, the product of the two numbers, 12, has been said to encompass both the secular and the sacred. So 12/12/12 should mean that both sides will be represented more than usual.
9. December 12, 2012 is exactly 6 years, 6 months, 6 days from June 6, 2006, or 06/06/06.
10. From culinary cuisine to calendars, 12 has been a significant number since its creation. Just think about it 12 months in the year, 12 hours of night and day, 12 astrological signs, 12 Olympic gods and goddesses, 12 days of Christmas, and Shakespeares Twelfth Night. Oh, and lets not forget about eggs which are cheaper by the dozen! With so much significance on its side, 12/12/12 was seemingly destined to be a meaningful day.
Indian nurses from Kasturba Gandhi hospital pose with two female babies born after midnight in conjunction with the date 12.12.12 in New Delhi on December 12, 2012.
11. Kiam Moriya of Birmingham, Alabama will turn 12 at 12:12pm on 12/12/12. Since approximately 267 babies are born every minute, many other people will share the same moment in their respective timezones, of course!
12. Students at Moscow State University have been given motivation to study after their professor posted a sign on his door stating, The last chance to retake your History of Foreign Literature exam will be 12/12/12. If you choose not to take it, it will not only be the end of the world
but also the end of you.
Oh no! Not the dreaded flying ballons!
Let’s call it:
A gross of gross!
(A “gross” being a dozen dozen)
12 is a very important number in Western Music.
It is the number of notes in the Chromatic Scale
It is the Number of Major keys
It is the Number of Natural minor keys
It is the number of keys in the Circle of Fifths
It is very cool how the keys line up!
Here’s hoping some idiot jihadist doesn’t try to exploit the occasion.
Oooo Noooo! We need a really big leap year!
It only happens the first twelve years of every century that has ever been. It happened last year and every year before that back to 2001. It happened from 1901 to 1912, 1801 to 1812, 1701 to 1712 and on and on.
So special. Aaaaaiiiieeee! And we’ll never see it again! /s
And because of the Mayan Doomsday, we will not get to next year with its 13/13/13!
While I was reading this, glanced at the clock in the corner of my screen and noticed it was 12:12.
We won’t have another day like this until 13/13/13.
Today does have a very special meaning to me though.
Because 01/01/01 was my Grandmother's 66th Birthday and that started the sequential dates.
Now today 12/12/12 is my Fathers 58th Birthday and it ends the sequential dates.
Its a funny world we live in.
This morning on FNC they had a story about a boy who will be twelve years old today--he was born at 12:12 p.m. on Dec. 12, 2000.
Are even the numerologists antisemitic now?
But that would make too much sense.
I may have to pick up a 12 pack to celebrate this occasion.
You were 35 seconds too late :(
I recorded the entire minute of 12:12 as a short video on my iPhone. I video’d my Casio watch which is synced to the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, Colorado, so I know it is accurate. I know it was kinda stupid to do it but I won’t be alive the next time a similar occurance takes place. Now I have to find out how to screen cap the moment where it reads 12.12:12 12-12.
That’s nothing, wait a year for 13/13/13!
(See above posts.)
Baker’s Dozen Dozen Dozen!
Twelfth, twelth, twelth of never!
However, I did catch 01:23:45 6-7-89 and 12:34:56 7-8-90 -- and even called them in to the weatherman in Boston, who announced them on the evening news on TV...
If the year began on a Sunday, you would get 13 Friday the thirteenths in a year.
But we only got one 12:12:12 that was in the year 1212.
The most important event of that year was the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, the most important turning point in the reconquista.
"It's 12:12:12 12/12/12 somewhere."
But that would make too much sense.
I like twelve 30 day months (five six day weeks) with five and a quarter days to party down.
You’re nine pings short!
You win. Your time of post: Wed 12 Dec 2012 12:12:47 PM EST
Science & the Virgin of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
Mary, Mother of Life: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Catholic or Pro-Life Caucus)
Our Lady of Guadalupe - A Mother for us all
A WOMAN AND A DRAGON (Catholic Caucus)
The History of Our Lady of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
Guadalupe: A Living Image (EWTN - Sunday, Sep. 26 at 10 pm) [Catholic Caucus]
Remembering Our Lady of Guadalupe
Catholic Caucus: Our Lady of Guadalupe: She Who Smashes the Serpent
Infamous Hollywood Screenwriter to Pen Film on Our Lady of Guadalupe - Patroness of the Unborn
"Basic Instinct" scribe Eszterhas eyes virgin
Our Lady of Guadalupe completely beyond' scientific explanation, says researcher
Knights of Columbus Congress, Festival for Our Lady of Guadalupe (Catholic Caucus)
The (Miraculous) Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
Remembering Our Lady of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast: December 12 [Repost]
Brief History of the Apparitions of Our Lady of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
The History of Our Lady of Guadalupe [Ecumenical]
2 Questions related to Faith & Apologetics. A Feast day & Our Lady of Guadalupe [Catholic Caucus]
The Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our Lady of Guadalupe called 'Mother Without Borders' in Los Angeles (Catholic Caucus)
Hernándo Cortés and Our Lady
Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Church Militant (Catholic Caucus)
Scientists certify Our Lady of Guadalupe tilma
STRANGE LIGHT CLAIMED IN GUADALUPE IMAGE AFTER MEXICO CITY OKAYED ABORTION
STRANGE LIGHT CLAIMED IN GUADALUPE IMAGE AFTER MEXICO CITY OKAYED ABORTION -- posted on News Forum
The Story of Guadalupe: Hope for Our Violent World
Our Lady of Guadalupe: Protectress of the Unborn
Was Our Lady of Guadalupe Wrong?
METHODIST CHURCH DISPLAYS VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE
GUADALUPE DEVOTION IS CROSSING INTO PROTESTANT DENOMINATIONS
A Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe
Relic From Guadalupe Tilma to Tour U.S.
The Amazing Truth of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our Lady Of Guadalupe
Celebrating 470 years of an ongoing miracle, the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe 1531
Science Stunned by Virgin of Guadalupe´s Eyes
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.