Joe: if they are not registered, how are you going to find them? Good luck with that!
That was my first thought too after reading the title...
Here’s how - at least for the millions of AR’s and AK’s that were legally purchased:
1. ATF requires all manufacturers to send them serial numbers of all such weapons made - just as they do now requiring history of where a weapon was sold that was used in a crime.
2. ATF then goes to every FFL that sold these weapons, and gets from them the name/address/data on every client who bought one of these weapons.
3. ATF offically contacts each legal owner with written letter requiring registration/and-or/confiscation of said weapon with notice of immediate arrest if weapon is not registered/turned-in in 30 days.
4. ATF plus Homeland Security plus TSA pack up their ammo and SWAT teams and begin processing arrest warrants.
5. The SHTF when many legal weapons owners take up arms against ATF and their friends and many on both sides die.
6. Martial law is declared. Civil war begins.
They plan on neighborhood snitches and even your liberal relatives to turn you in. Might even offer bounties.