Skip to comments.FYI Mali is Africa's third largest gold producer after South Africa and Ghana.
Posted on 01/14/2013 4:28:11 PM PST by Dallas59
Mali is Africa's third largest gold producer after South Africa and Ghana. Mali produced 53,7 t of gold in 2009.
The Sadiola Hill Gold mine (41% Iamgold, 41% AngloGold Ashanti, Government of Mail 18%) is situated in the geologically favourable Kenieba/Kedegou window where the Mali-Senegal shear zone is host to the deposit. Sadiola produced 135,000 oz of gold in 2009.
A mere 35km to the north of Sadiola, lies the Yatela Gold mine (AngloGold 40%, Iamgold 40% and the Mali Government 20%) which began production in mid 2001. Yatela produced 89,000 oz of gold in 2009.
The Morila mine is owned by Randgold Resources (40%), AngloGold Ashanti (40%) and the Government of Mali (20%). The mine is managed as a joint venture between the two companies and operated by Randgold Resources.
Morila has produced more than 5 million ounces of gold since the mine began production in October 2000. In the second quarter of 2009 Morila underwent a successful transition to a stockpile treatment operation.
The Syama gold project is located in the south of Mali approximately 30kms from the Côte dIvoire border and 300km southeast of the capital Bamako.
Resolute Mining has an 80% interest in the project through its equity in Sociêtê des Mines de Syama S.A. (SOMISY). The Malian Government holds a 20% interest in SOMISY. The Syama project produced 24,762 ounces of gold in 2009.
Société des Mines de Loulo (SOMILO) S.A. is an 80% owned subsidiary of Randgold Resources Limited and holds the 372km² Loulo mining lease in western Mali. The remaining 20% is held by the Government of Mali.
(Excerpt) Read more at mbendi.com ...
Paging Code Pink....No Blood for Gold...No Blood for Gold...No Blood for Gold
No million people marches in Europe.
Well, since the heroin funding went so well in Afghanistan, why not gold in Mali? In fact, the US will probably send in troops to defend the mines for al qaeda!
Now we know why the French are there! Gold! Always worth fighting for, even worth dying for -— Paris can use this gold ! Oil is good to fight for-—Gold is better.
We used to go over to an Australian-American run gold mine in southern Mali to pick up mail from their mail plane. While there they would invite us to lunch in the cafeteria, so we got to talk to the engineers a good bit.
They told us that when digging with heavy machinery 60 feet below the surface level they often came across small hand dug tunnels. These were dug 300 years ago by slaves - one tribe held as slaves by another and used to mine the gold.
They would take the gold north into the desert to Timbuktu to buy the truly precious stuff....SALT! Timbuktu had a mythical reputation as the place of gold, but in fact, there is no gold in Timbuktu.
Only salt, which was more valuable than gold to the miners of southern Mali. The salt was dug up in slabs from the dry lake beds. These slabs, the size of a coffee table, are still strapped to the sides of donkeys or camels and hauled south to be broken into fist sized chunks and sold in the markets of Sikasso, Bamako, Kadiolo and other towns. It is coarse and looks like tan & brown road salt.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.